Pachaug State Forest Trails

Pachaug State Forest Trails is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Voluntown, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Pachaug State Forest is a 9 mile loop trail located near Jewett City, Connecticut. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking. The pond is used for fishing, boating, and kayaking.

33 minutes ago

Okay hike. Not very exciting, and never found waterfall unless the spillway at the beginning is it. Trail was not always easy to follow. Probably would have been a little better with a state trail map. Overall good day but not as scenic or exciting as we hoped. We started from the spillway on Trail 1 road.

Nice quiet trail, well marked

I enjoy hiking these trails very much!

Monday, April 17, 2017

Nice park but don't take a wrong turn I ended up in someone's back yard

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Nice hikes. Combined several trails from different parts of Forest.For the most part, they were marked fairly well. All total, did 10 miles. Luckily we stopped at the main office building and picked up a map. Otherwise, we never would have known where we were going.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Hiked this trail today and although there was a very nice walk along a very busy brook filled with trout, there was no lake or even big pond. Must be elsewhere in the park but not on this trail. It was a great day though and perfect weather for a hike. I started at the gate on hell hollow road and hiked in to trail head for a round trip of approx 7.8 miles of uninterrupted quite. Until I was on my way out and encountered a dragon!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Beautiful hike on a perfect day. Loved this park. Will definitely be back

Sunday, May 15, 2016

beautiful hike today!

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Had a nice hike from Fire Tower Road up to the Mount Misery Overlook, took the quick trail up from the parking area and then looped around on our way back down ... Beautiful park with nice trails.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Great hike today. Looking forward to going back there. Was disappointed to see so much litter.

Monday, June 29, 2015

I did an approximate 11.5 mile loop on 6/27/15 that incorporated parts of the Pachaug State Forest, so I am posting the review here. This is a very nice area are to hike in with so many options- I look forward to further exploring the area.

I started at Beach Pond on rt. 165 in Exeter and parked in the smaller lot across the street from main lot. I followed the yellow blazed Tippecansett Trail (sign posted right in the lot) and followed it all the way across Rt. 138 and then eventually south along the RI/Ct border where it met up with the blue blazed trail the heads west toward Green Fall Pond. A short ways into this section I took a side trail (near a small wooden foot bridge) that took me into Burnt Swamp, which is well worth the short side excursion. I then went back to the main blue trail west and eventually hit the blue/red blazed trail which I took north up along Green Fall Pond. I eventually entered the Green Fall Pond camping area, and next time I’ll bring a bathing suit because there’s a small beach area that looks very good for a dip on a warm day! I couldn’t immediately find the blue blazed Pachaug Trial so I went northeast along the Green Pond Fall dirt road and soon after took a left onto an unmarked trail which seemed to be a dirtbike-type trail. I followed this to where it eventually joined the Pachaug Trail, and then followed this all the way north back across Rt 138 and eventually to Rt. 165. I then walked the short distance on Rt 165 over the causeway to where I parked across the street from Beach Pond.

A very nice hike and good workout with mixture of wood roads and trails. Some great views along the way, and I even saw a nice White Tail deer bounding through the woods toward the end of the hike.

I found the following maps very helpful. Kudos to www.mdc.net / The Story of the Yawgoog Trails for putting together such a great resource with such interesting information!

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Neat little place to hike around for a few hours. The best part is getting to the other side of the dam. You can climb up the rocks (at your own risk) to stand up on top of the dam and have a nice scenic view.

paddle sports
Sunday, September 26, 2010

My wife & I paddled this beautiful pond on a gorgeous weekend. I don't know what typically classifies a pond to be a pond, but the sheer size of this body of water should be classified under "lake". This place is huge! It's also extremely busy with powerboats, ski boats, and jet-skis too! I found it to be remarkably clean for a pond this size. It's also shallow in some spots too. This is also a local hot spot for large and smallmouth bass fishing in the Spring and Summer months. The photo provided was taken by me.

recorded Pachaug State Forest Trails