Nature Trails

Nature Trails is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Litchfield, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

White Memorial Foundation: Nature Trails. There are 35 miles of trails on 4000 acres of fields, waters and woodlands. There are also 3 campgrounds, a museum and special areas for large outdoor gatherings. White Memorial Foundation and Conservation Center is a privately owned wildlife sanctuary opened to the public. Created in 1913 by Alain White and his sister May White. There are 4000 acres of land and 35 miles of trails open for hiking, biking, horseback riding, bird watching, and viewing nature. There are also 3 campgrounds, a museum, boating facilities, meeting houses and special areas for large outdoor educational and recreational gatherings.

A nice place for a walk. However there really is no hiking involved. Maximum inclination is 100 feet for this approximately 6 mile walk. I’m really not sure why this is put as a moderate hike on this site. If you are beginner to hiking you can easily do this as only walking involved. I do however find many to not follow the leash rules so keep that in mind as well.

Great day for a hike on a great trail. Very easy for kids to walk

WMF is a very fun place with lots of variety, and I do a lot of trail running there. As far as mtn biking it is boring, but for a beginner it’s excellent. If you are looking for something remotely challenging WMF is not the place!

Most of the trails are carriage roads that you can drive a car on. There are some good inclines to work on your climbing skills, but that’s about it. There are no technical downhills or much of anything challenging. Plus, many of the trails, unless you know the less populated ones, can be very crowded on weekends. To that, many of the dog owners are very disrespectful and don’t abide by the leash laws (for the record, I am a dog owner!). When one points out that they are breaking the rules most get their hackles up and underwear in a bunch.

If you want a challenge head over to the Mattituck Trail by the Thomaston Dam. It’s quiet, unpopulated, a very challenging!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

I love White Memorial and managed the property for over 5 yrs, and this should be a 4.5/5 star review. I trail run and go to the more remote areas because I don't want to see many people and unleashed dogs.

I will preface my upcoming statements by saying I am a dog owner, and abide by the RULES. That being said, most dog walkers at WMF are jerks, and probably 85-90% DON'T obey the leash rule. I have had far too many encounters where I am running and all of a sudden a 70-80 lbs dog comes around the corner and charges me, and the owner cannot even see their own dog. I am not afraid of dogs but many dogs will run up to me and even jump on me and I don't know the dog or what their response to me will be. As ALL owners say "oh, he/she is harmless" - guess that's why I have been bitten 3x!

Ironically, everyone KNOWS their dogs should be on a leash because when they see me they run up and put the dog on the one they are carrying, which is bu!!$hi+! Even worse, when I tell people their dog is supposed to be on a leash they look at me like I am an @$$h0!e. I find it fascinating that I am the jerk for pointing out that they are doing something they shouldn't be. I can live with that.

WMF is a beautiful property with a lot to offer. Camping, hiking, bird watching, fishing, education etc. Dog owners, please don't be surprised when I spray your dog with pepper spray when he/she charges me. You KNOW the rules so ABIDE by them. Obey the rules=NO problems.....

Sunday, July 09, 2017

We arrived at 12:30 pm on a Sunday and there were only a few hikers there. Decided to hike Little Pond. The trail was well marked (black inside of white square). You will walk the majority of the trail on a boardwalk. I still recommend good footwear even though I saw folks in flip flops. Our reward, during the hike, was spotting a lone heron on the pond. It was awesome.
Recommendations: The only restroom facilities were outhouses which are well stocked with toilet paper. Please bring your own hand sanitizer or towelette to cleanse your hands.
Maps can be purchased fir $3.00 at the museum's store (which has a bathroom that is accessible, if you pay for admission. I didn't think that was worth the $6.00 fee but I understand that the museum does not want to be over run with people just going in just to use the facilities.

All in all would like to return to explore the other trails.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Enjoyed except I was following the blue blazes & had to walk quite a distance to get back to my car in the rain.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Beautiful all around

Friday, October 17, 2014

Beautiful trail during the fall season. The walk around the five lakes is stunning but the trail markers can be misleading or nonexistent. Lots of wildlife, beaver dams and birch tree forest. Great place to take a picnic and kick back- not at all strenuous.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I ride here daily, if you follow the rights paths there are awesome climbs with fast fun downhill rewards. Make sure you cross rt. 63 to the far side of the park. This is the most diverse and fun area for me on my 29er.

skiing
Wednesday, June 20, 2012

funnnn

Friday, August 12, 2011

very nice walk,very enjoyable,nature galore ,lot's to look at..

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Excellent trail! Beautifully kept, hours of hiking and other activities. The Little Pond Trail is a lot of fun. Most of it is on a board walk over the wetlands and around the pond, even a wooden bridge over the stream to the south. I really want to head back there when the leaves have changed in the fall, and again when the snows come.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

I was very impressed with the area. The trails were well maintained and there was a wide varity of terrian, from fields to marshlands and woods. There isn't a lot of elevation change, no steep hills or hard climbs but with 35 miles of trail to explore there is plenty of varity.

recorded May 5