Nature Trails

Nature Trails is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Litchfield, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

beach

White Memorial Foundation: Nature Trails. There are 35 miles of trails on 4000 acres of fields, waters and woodlands. There are also 3 campgrounds, a museum and special areas for large outdoor gatherings. White Memorial Foundation and Conservation Center is a privately owned wildlife sanctuary opened to the public. Created in 1913 by Alain White and his sister May White. There are 4000 acres of land and 35 miles of trails open for hiking, biking, horseback riding, bird watching, and viewing nature. There are also 3 campgrounds, a museum, boating facilities, meeting houses and special areas for large outdoor educational and recreational gatherings.

I love White Memorial and managed the property for over 5 yrs, and this should be a 4.5/5 star review. I trail run and go to the more remote areas because I don't want to see many people and unleashed dogs.

I will preface my upcoming statements by saying I am a dog owner, and abide by the RULES. That being said, most dog walkers at WMF are jerks, and probably 85-90% DON'T obey the leash rule. I have had far too many encounters where I am running and all of a sudden a 70-80 lbs dog comes around the corner and charges me, and the owner cannot even see their own dog. I am not afraid of dogs but many dogs will run up to me and even jump on me and I don't know the dog or what their response to me will be. As ALL owners say "oh, he/she is harmless" - guess that's why I have been bitten 3x!

Ironically, everyone KNOWS their dogs should be on a leash because when they see me they run up and put the dog on the one they are carrying, which is bu!!$hi+! Even worse, when I tell people their dog is supposed to be on a leash they look at me like I am an @$$h0!e. I find it fascinating that I am the jerk for pointing out that they are doing something they shouldn't be. I can live with that.

WMF is a beautiful property with a lot to offer. Camping, hiking, bird watching, fishing, education etc. Dog owners, please don't be surprised when I spray your dog with pepper spray when he/she charges me. You KNOW the rules so ABIDE by them. Obey the rules=NO problems.....

We arrived at 12:30 pm on a Sunday and there were only a few hikers there. Decided to hike Little Pond. The trail was well marked (black inside of white square). You will walk the majority of the trail on a boardwalk. I still recommend good footwear even though I saw folks in flip flops. Our reward, during the hike, was spotting a lone heron on the pond. It was awesome.
Recommendations: The only restroom facilities were outhouses which are well stocked with toilet paper. Please bring your own hand sanitizer or towelette to cleanse your hands.
Maps can be purchased fir $3.00 at the museum's store (which has a bathroom that is accessible, if you pay for admission. I didn't think that was worth the $6.00 fee but I understand that the museum does not want to be over run with people just going in just to use the facilities.

All in all would like to return to explore the other trails.

Enjoyed except I was following the blue blazes & had to walk quite a distance to get back to my car in the rain.

Sunday, October 02, 2016