Natchuag and Nipmuck Trail: Route 44 to Perry Hill

Natchuag and Nipmuck Trail: Route 44 to Perry Hill is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Eastford, Connecticut that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,190 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Backpacked the trail on a longer 2 day hike starting at Goodwin Forest and ending at the Knowlton Brook campsite. About 25ish miles. Camped at General Lyons and Nipmuck campsites. Goodwin trails were great. Trail from RT 198 to 44 was in horrible condition. After that was a mix of decent to horrible trail conditions. I don’t think any trail maintenance has been done outside of Goodwin. Trail runs along a lot of private property so I can see some people getting confused. Logging happening too which closed the trail in spots and had to bushwhacked around. Pixie Falls was nice though and worth a visit.

Monday, July 16, 2018

I made it a mile into the forest off of route 44 when I came across a summer camp counselor who said I couldn't continue on the Natchmaug trail because it went through the camp property and I had to turn around. I don't think she had the authority to police the trail, anyone else have this issue? I drove an hour to hike 2 miles. I went across 44 to continue the trail and it was overgrown and thorny.

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

This is a gentle sloping run of the Natchaug Trail emptying into the Nipmuck. There is a campsite at the transition between trails and camping is available year-round. From camp it is a gentle downhill hike out to Perry Hill Rd.

Saturday, October 14, 2017