Mukluk Old Road Loop

moderate 51 reviews

Mukluk Old Road Loop is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Baltic, Connecticut that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and horses. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 590 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Easy parking off Holton Road. The trail is not blazed properly and it may be difficult to follow if you are not using a map.

beautiful but not well marked. half of the all trails map was not on a trail

A little confusing. Trail colors changing back and forth.

Very confusing to find where to park or even where the trail head starts. Still fun and scenic and the river ridge trail was nice.

GPS took me to a dead end street while searching for the trailhead. Kind of a strange start to the trail. Bridge was out. Not sure if it's been repaired. Once on the trail, it was pretty enjoyable.

It is not marked, nowhere is it even named by the Land Trust. No blaze color and no signage. The gps map looses it at one point. Beautiful country but after 4 hours and a dead phone battery from checking AllTrails I was ready to be rescued.

It was very nice, but never could find the trail.... other then that great trail. Got to walk on a paved road. Found a different trail. “Fairy Trail” was a great hike. Again, just not the one I drove 45 minutes to hike....

First let me say that the area is pretty nice and the trails I would rate as mostly easy. I gave this hike only 2 stars because of the trail markings. I read the reviews and was aware that others had noted this problem. The entire trail system needs to be blazed properly so hikers can enjoy the hike and not spend all their time backtracking and trying to figure out why the blue trail goes 3 different ways at one of the intersections. In order to stay on the yellow trail, (map says its orange) , I had to walk into the woods and make my own trail. Nothing cleared. The gps was a god send until it stopped working. Cell coverage in the area is sketchy. So we have mismarked trails, unreliable maps, and no gps service. If the preserve can get it together and reblaze the trails properly and then draw an accurate map, this place would be great. Until then, I would strongly recommend finding other places to hike.

This was a nice, relaxing hike. There are quite a few ATV trails but that didn't interfere with the great scenery. Around mile 3.8, we seemed to go off track compared to AllTrails map as we couldn't find it. Just continue to follow the yellow trail and it will bring back to the original map around mile 4.7. Would recommend.

Great weather. Easy parking off Holton Rd. 1 other car when i got there. 10 when i left, but only passed 1 person on the trail. As others have said, some trails marked and other junctions not marked at all, and the one waterfall i found was real close to parking are (at the end of my hike) but literally in someones back yard, so watch for the no trespassing signs. Worth the hike and plenty of trail options and diversity. Saw a few groups tubing and kayaking down the river just below the dam, if youre into that too.

This was a nice trail that made me feel immersed in nature. When parking don’t use the all trail directions to your GPS. Go to the trail head on Holton Road which you can see from the map. The trails were nice and marked and there were also dirt bike trails that intercepted the walking trails. A nice stretch was on the river. Very peaceful.

I completed this hike on 5/18/19. A beautiful morning. I parked at the end of Pautipaug Hill Road. I guess there is also parking at the end of Holton Road. After parking I continued north where Pautipaug turned into a dirt road and I crossed some cut stumps and eventually got on the track recording that I wanted to follow from Alltrails. It was a dirt road and I started the loop heading east (right). The trails on the Alltrails map were not very robust so I figured following the recording on the Alltrails App would be my best bet. Either the recording was messed up, my GPS was messed up, or I was messed up, but I found myself turned around quite a few times. My loop ended up about 7.5 miles. The positives: I loved the ridge trail section along the Shetucket River and the waterfalls which were really flowing. Some nice elevation changes which got the blood pumping but also lots of flat areas. No crowds - only saw 2 other hikers and a fly fisherman on the river. A really beautiful area. The negatives: Some of the sections are more dirt road than trail and there was a small section of power lines which I never like. It was tough to follow the trails in some sections without a map and the trails I was following did not seem consistent with the recording. I saw trail signs from a Boy Scout project and I later found this site/map at http://explorect.org/sprague-land-preserve/. I wish I had it during the hike. Hopefully Alltrails will allow it to stay in this review. Glad I made the drive to explore this area.

Sun Feb 10 2019

There are a lot of beautiful things to see out on this trail and it is an amazing workout. I would not rate this as moderate, it's pretty hard. The trails are not well marked, and the link for directions from this app sent us down a private dead end street. We had to Google the trail and found an article from a news station on how to get there.

Mon Sep 24 2018

I gave this hike 3 stars because while it did have beautiful views of a waterfall, and offered an excellent workout, the trail marking was horrendous. At the trail head there was no trail map, despite multiple trails throughout the woods marked with different colors. My recording follows the white -> blue -> yellow trail, however the yellow trail split off into multiple dead ends that required back tracking, and towards the end trailed off completely away from the direction required to get back to the start. Due to the lack of a trail map, we had to again back track, and follow the red line on this app to get us back to our car. This required hiking through the woods with no trail for some time, and then following an overgrown trail with no trail markers. Bottom line - don't hike here without this app to guide you, you will get lost multiple times!

Wed Sep 05 2018

great loop! back side was lil more misquoted than I liked. But , that's the life of hiking.

Thu Aug 16 2018

Heavy rains have done a number on the road in, but it’s still doable, and worth it. River ridge trail was really nice. We’ll do this one again.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Great hike. The trail map isn't very helpful, and it's easy to lose the trails in some places. But it's easy to find your place again, too. I recommend on the Watson side taking the Yellow trail to the Blue trail to the Green trail. Not too hard and lots to see.

Sun May 27 2018

Great place to take the dog hiking! We loved every minute of it. Needs a foot bridge over the stream on the Fairy Trail other than that it’s perfect!

Mon Apr 23 2018

I have hiked this loop a few times. Every trail in this preserve is nice.