Mount Misery Trail

Mount Misery Trail is a 0.7 mile point-to-point trail located near Voluntown, Connecticut and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until November.

0.7 miles 137 feet Point to Point

A few minutes walk to get to this gorgeous scenic view.

great short Hike. from the campgrounds to the summit at a nice slow pace took only 30 minutes. some fun steep inclines with nice level repreaves to enjoy. the final stretch is steep but again very short. all around a very enjoyable short hike.

The hike is great, but not a well marked trail.

At the top you can see far and Right below the summit there is a bear cave.

Nice walk through the woods. Short but very steep at points. Good lookout spot at the summit, but there isn't much out there to see.

Not a bad hike and the view was OK. Not a difficult hike by any means. The final push to My Misery was the most challenging part. Bring a map to find your way around there were none I found in the park. Trails were marked well enough to follow but maps in the park or signs marking trail names would be a huge help.

Was an easy. Trail. Steep in the beginning but flattens out. View was ok but would be better earlier in season

I was going to rate it 3.5. 4 stars for great view at the top ; ]

My school hiked the blue trail and I've hiked it before, there are two fairly steep inclines, but other than that it's pretty flat. Coming down there's a couple very sharp downward angles, with a lot of rocks, a couple kids fell but luckily none got injured. Overall I'd say it's a pretty easy hike, if you don't mind going up a ways. As I haven't been on a decent hike in a while, by the end I was kind of tuckered out. Some Geo caches in the area too if that's your thing ^u^

lots of trails here to bike, hike, or horseback ride. They are a combo of woodsy walking trails and dirt roads. They get lots of use from many groups such as scouts, military groups, riders, walkers, bikers, etc. Maps available on the CT DEEP website.

Not being from the area, and with little or no signage, this trail was difficult to find. We came in from the rt 201 entrance to the park. And not knowing where the trail head for misery hill was, we had to ask for help. It's best found coming in from rt 49 on headquarters rd. Driving to cutoff rd. The trail leaves cut off road just after the last entrance to the campground on left. There is a small smoky the bear sign. Look for blue blazes, as there are several worn paths that come and go from the camp ground. Your on the trail when you see a well worn path that begins to climb through a pine forest just a couple hindered feet from the road.
Being that we are white mountain area hikers, this was an easy trail, but for a family that doesn't hike often it could be a bit tiring. There is an abrupt up hill on the beginning, for about a quarter mile then the trail becomes flat and trends down hill again to the last pitch up to the summit. We wanted this to be a loop hike, we returned down fire tower road where we turned right from the blue blazes (they continued back into the woods in a direction away from our car) and down fire tower road, then right again on cut off road to our car. This loop was only estimated to be 1.5 miles and not 3 miles. If there are maps for the trails in that park that would have been helpful in making the three mile hike that we were desiring. I guess that means we should have done more home work. ;)

Don't let the name fool you -- no misery here; just pure hiking pleasure. You can take the route outlined at the link below. I myself wanted a longer trail, so I started at the Beachdale Pond, taking the Nehantic Trail to the CCC Conservation Camp, then continuing to Stone Hill Road to Trail Two, past the Frog Hollow Horse Camp. From Trail Two, I picked up Nehantic again, then turned on to Pachaug.

The Pachaug side is the shorter and steeper ascent. The Nehantic is longer, but with a gradual slope.

I had originally planned on hitting the Rhododendron Sanctuary, but nothing is in bloom yet, so we saved that to another day.

This route took me for a 7.9 mile trail.

Started out on the blue trail from the Cross Roads. Short hike but for a beginner the start was pretty moderate but it evens out as you go up. Nice views from the top though.