Mount Misery Trail

Mount Misery Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Voluntown, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 232 feet Route Type: Loop

icy

Nice well marked trail

Very fun and beautiful scenery

Nice

Rockier than expected. loved it!

Great view. Easy hike my kids love

recorded Mount Misery Trail

Practice for section hike on A.T.

Easy hike for even the little ones. If you want easier approach, go behind the mtn from Fire Tower Rd.

started with short walk (0.4 mi out and back) along rhododendron sanctuary trail. mt. misery trail had a few steep inclines with a few moderately difficult rock sections to navigate. nice view from the top and pretty clear trail. a lot of walking along the park roads though.

nice hike out to the lookout. the second half of the loop is a gravel road. may want to backtrack the wooded trails instead.

very nice, pretty easy hike with some elevations. so far my second hike I did and it was definitely easy enough for a beginner like me. great views at the top!

Such a great loop that is a short hike with lots of value; clear trail indicators, beautiful forest, meandering brooks, some climbing to a spectacular view. Take your time when you bring children and they’ll make it to the top with you.

Beautiful views on the way up. The vista is a great mediatation spot, with many large, leveled and smooth rocks to sit. But there were some empty beer bottles atop, and we couldn't find the markers for the loop back down so we ended up walking back the way we came.

Up hill most of the way. The view at the top is beautiful. Went up last in October right before sunset and the dragon flies were something to see. So many of them just beautifully interacting with each other with that view as a back drop stayed and just watched for over an hour.

Wonderful hike with a challenging incline to a beautiful mountain view overlooking the park. I've hiked it twice now, and I can't get enough of it. I prefer the out and back to the decent off the opposite side of the peak, not because of the decent, but because the loop ends on a forest road which you head south on to complete the loop. If you'd like to see the hike, I posted it to my YouTube channel Camping with Cav.

Mon Nov 12 2018

Fun family hike. My so has been going on this trail since he was 5. It’s somewhat challenging but easy to push through.

Mon Oct 15 2018

Great hike with pack 73 Boy Scouts. Great place for kids to hike and awesome views at the vista.

Fri Sep 21 2018

the second part of the trail was cut off but we were still able to go to the first and walk up it and then back down. the marking change between red and blue but it's not really hard to follow it to the top. dogs would like this but I'd say kids might have a rough time, some of the inclines are harsh.

Wed Sep 19 2018

First half is great, lots of hills that allow good footing. Peek offers great view. Went after heavy rain. Second half can be a challenge do to wet rock surface ( Grabbed tree once after slipping, about ten miles on Solomon Mid GTX 3s) You end up following a fire road back to starting point. My advice is hit peak and turn back around.

Sun Jul 22 2018

great trail, amazing view, not long at all! definitely not for those who aren’t fans of hills because it is a small climb but worth it :) one of my new favorite trails in the area

Sat Jul 21 2018

Map provided by the ranger station is terrible, very difficult to differentiate roads from trails, no labeling of trails or even where Mt Misery is on the map. Despite that, this was a pleasant hike with nice views. When we came down from the peak we continued on the blue blazed trail into the woods rather than walking back on the road. Although not clearly marked as such, this is the Pachaug/Nehantic trail which splits at a point where an old railroad bed is visible. We turned right onto the Nehantic which eventually meets the road which takes you back to the parking area. Adds about a mile to the walk.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Good short hike. The trail up is well marked. Decent incline but peters out before it gets too hard. Great overlook! I took Fire Tower Rd down to complete the loop.

Mon Jun 11 2018

Was ok, lots of uphill to start, first overlook is shrouded by trees. 2nd is very nice. Might as well just skip the loop and walk back down the trail, half the “hike” is on maintained gravel roads.