Mount Misery Trail

Mount Misery Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Voluntown, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Kids and I enjoyed this hike.

good workout

took my dogs here this morning and loved it!! nice incline on the way up and smooth sailing on the way back. there’s nothing better than being up in the mountains and the view is beautiful. didn’t even come across a single soul on our walk.

Great view during fall and lovely sunset!

A decent hike for the first half (starting @ the smokey the bear sign) but it was an uninspiring dirt road for the 2nd half. Overlook was so-so. It seemed more "easy" than moderate.

Nice trail not too challenging and a great view at the top

It was wonderful. We had a blast. But we park in the back of the mountain came out in front of the mountain. Couldn't find car. Some nice people give us a ride back to our car. Thank goodness it would of been a long walk back.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Beautiful morning for a hike.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Nice hike. Pretty decent incline at beginning of hike, but nice views at the top

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A few minutes walk to get to this gorgeous scenic view.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

great short Hike. from the campgrounds to the summit at a nice slow pace took only 30 minutes. some fun steep inclines with nice level repreaves to enjoy. the final stretch is steep but again very short. all around a very enjoyable short hike.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

The hike is great, but not a well marked trail.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

At the top you can see far and Right below the summit there is a bear cave.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Nice walk through the woods. Short but very steep at points. Good lookout spot at the summit, but there isn't much out there to see.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Not a bad hike and the view was OK. Not a difficult hike by any means. The final push to My Misery was the most challenging part. Bring a map to find your way around there were none I found in the park. Trails were marked well enough to follow but maps in the park or signs marking trail names would be a huge help.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Was an easy. Trail. Steep in the beginning but flattens out. View was ok but would be better earlier in season

Friday, October 03, 2014

I was going to rate it 3.5. 4 stars for great view at the top ; ]

My school hiked the blue trail and I've hiked it before, there are two fairly steep inclines, but other than that it's pretty flat. Coming down there's a couple very sharp downward angles, with a lot of rocks, a couple kids fell but luckily none got injured. Overall I'd say it's a pretty easy hike, if you don't mind going up a ways. As I haven't been on a decent hike in a while, by the end I was kind of tuckered out. Some Geo caches in the area too if that's your thing ^u^

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

lots of trails here to bike, hike, or horseback ride. They are a combo of woodsy walking trails and dirt roads. They get lots of use from many groups such as scouts, military groups, riders, walkers, bikers, etc. Maps available on the CT DEEP website.

Saturday, September 06, 2014

Not being from the area, and with little or no signage, this trail was difficult to find. We came in from the rt 201 entrance to the park. And not knowing where the trail head for misery hill was, we had to ask for help. It's best found coming in from rt 49 on headquarters rd. Driving to cutoff rd. The trail leaves cut off road just after the last entrance to the campground on left. There is a small smoky the bear sign. Look for blue blazes, as there are several worn paths that come and go from the camp ground. Your on the trail when you see a well worn path that begins to climb through a pine forest just a couple hindered feet from the road.
Being that we are white mountain area hikers, this was an easy trail, but for a family that doesn't hike often it could be a bit tiring. There is an abrupt up hill on the beginning, for about a quarter mile then the trail becomes flat and trends down hill again to the last pitch up to the summit. We wanted this to be a loop hike, we returned down fire tower road where we turned right from the blue blazes (they continued back into the woods in a direction away from our car) and down fire tower road, then right again on cut off road to our car. This loop was only estimated to be 1.5 miles and not 3 miles. If there are maps for the trails in that park that would have been helpful in making the three mile hike that we were desiring. I guess that means we should have done more home work. ;)

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Don't let the name fool you -- no misery here; just pure hiking pleasure. You can take the route outlined at the link below. I myself wanted a longer trail, so I started at the Beachdale Pond, taking the Nehantic Trail to the CCC Conservation Camp, then continuing to Stone Hill Road to Trail Two, past the Frog Hollow Horse Camp. From Trail Two, I picked up Nehantic again, then turned on to Pachaug.

The Pachaug side is the shorter and steeper ascent. The Nehantic is longer, but with a gradual slope.

I had originally planned on hitting the Rhododendron Sanctuary, but nothing is in bloom yet, so we saved that to another day.

This route took me for a 7.9 mile trail.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Started out on the blue trail from the Cross Roads. Short hike but for a beginner the start was pretty moderate but it evens out as you go up. Nice views from the top though.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mount Misery offers nice views, especially in the fall! Parking is available at the base of the hill on Firetower Road. The nearby Chapman area offers water, campsites, picnic sites and waterless latrines. The Pachaug and Nehantic trails run through the area. The wheelchair-accessible Rhodendron Sanctuary offers an observation deck on Mount Misery Brook. Another deck is on the nearby Beachdale Pond, although the pond has been temporarily drawn down for dam repairs.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

This trail is not quite a loop. Going strictly by the GPS on the trails application it would appear that the best way to access the walk is through the DEP trail. This will get you there but it's rough going over a dirt road that's not readily maintained. To save yourself a lot of heartache access the trail through the Natchaug State Forest main entrance off of Route 49. Once you hit the open field that's bordered by large rocks park your car. Walk straight along that road until you hit the second dirt road past the field which is on your left. The trail has a steady incline keep walking until it bears sharply to the left. Go for about another 500 feet and you hit the entrance to the climb to misery mountain. The trail is pretty well marked once you get to the turnaround loop where the road cuts off.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I like MT. Misery for the easy factor. I take my 6 and 7 year old boys with me and they have a great time everytime. The view from the top is beautiful and the trail is easy to navigate with plenty of trail options. There is a hitch on the top of the mountain drilled into the rock for the climbers out there. Also there is miles of dirt roads surrounding the mountain that are great for bike riding. I have been riding there a few times this year and found a few other hiking trails of the beaten path. If you want to explore more than one day there are campsites you can stay at for a decent price(no ammenities except Port O Potties and fresh water pumps).