Mirror Lake, Castle Craig, Merimere Reservoir Loop

Mirror Lake, Castle Craig, Merimere Reservoir Loop is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Berlin, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 797 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that Hubbard Park has an extensive trail system with various color blazes. There are multiple trails to take to reach the destinations along this route. There are many variations to take to shorten or lengthen your hike.

43 minutes ago

The trail was nice parts close to the highway so you can hear traffic but getting up to the castle to see the views made it worth it. Careful if you bring kids or dogs loose rocks all over and lots of broken glass.

I walked up 6 miles to and from the Castle Graig. It was challenging for me but I did it.

harder then it seemed it would be

bridge out

Hike to Castle Craig and back.

Beautiful hike! Definitely rocky and uphill for a bit, but seriously gorgeous. We also saw a buck! We felt like the only ones, but it was a weekday.

trail was great

Broken glass, EVERYWHERE. Do not bring your dogs on this one...

The route we went was tough on my younger kids. Lots of loose rock and at about 6 miles a bit too long for them. The view from the top was amazing as it was from the reservoir looking back up to the castle. Paths were poorly marked but this app always gets me through. Great for me and my daughter but wouldn’t take my boys , 12,9&7 back unless we drive up to castle.

The views from the top are incredible. I would give it five stars. However, many of the trails are covered by loose stones. I fall every time I come here.

Hiking both the road and the trails many times. Road is about 3.2 from the gate. Little uphill to start, couple of little hills after words but mostly level around the lake. Then a uphill grade until the fork in the road. Right to cell phone towers. Nah. A left at the fork will take you to Castle Craig. Some up and downs after the fork. Suggest comfortable shoes. While the white trail to the castle is shorter and quicker. Smooth trail until you get under the Castle. It gets steeper and loose Rock for a bit. Yes the trails need to be marked better. But not impossible. Either way, road or trail it's a great view at the top.

First 1.5 miles on pavement. Good hill climb to tower w nice views of reservoir. Loose rock and some glass on hike down.

So beautiful. Only downside is I found the trail markings very difficult to find at times and it probably added an hour to the hike.

Beautiful hike, trails are well maintained. Great views and some tougher spots perfect for a fun but not stressful afternoon.

Fun, steep up the hill to Castle Craig, but only for about a quarter mile

Went here for the very first time today! The first half is nice and by the water. It is also a flat road, very nice. The second half was harder than anticipated, it is rocky and uphill, it was such a nice challenge. Very few bugs, nice amount of shade, perfect hike.

Great hike! Tougher and steeper than I had anticipated. Beautiful views and worth the workout!

I did this hike today with two friends. This is not a moderate hike and it’s not 4.4 miles it’s 6 miles long! Extremely steep climb and slippery. Many loose stones on trail which make it very hard and slippery especially on the way down. After you leave the blue trail it’s difficult to find white trail back to parking lot. Needs better markers. I do have to say the lake is beautiful and so are the views around the lake especially from the top! The Castle is small but nice views from the top. I would do it again. Great day