Mirror Lake, Castle Craig, Merimere Reservoir Loop is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Berlin, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Please note that Hubbard Park has an extensive trail system with various color blazes. There are multiple trails to take to reach the destinations along this route. There are many variations to take to shorten or lengthen your hike.

This was my first hike ever a few years ago .. just the right amount of climbing and hiking involved . Looking out at the view when reaching the castle is well worth it !!

A++

Spectacular views during the fall. We elected to cut south along the reservoir amid way down the walk from Craig Castle. Pretty scenic shoreline and also avoids the walk along the roads we saw others complain of in previous reviews (shaved off some time too). Excellent photo ops.

the hike to the top was okay but walking back on the road is stupid.

The trail to the tower is a moderately easy hike with great views at the top. There are wonderful scenic viewpoints as you loop around past the tower. This was a very enjoyable hike.

Worth getting to the top for the views. We ended up taking the road all the way up and it does get steep. Never took the trails, maybe next time.

Beautiful views!!!

Beautiful!

I'm sure the trail(s) are incredible. But with ZERO trail markers, I can't tell you. The trail map at the park is a piece of wood wolith no markings at all. Walked roadways for an hour and saw nothing other than the same cars and people apparently looking for the same thing.

beautiful place

Super cool hike, with numerous blazes and trails throughout to make it easier or harder for what you may prefer. Castle Craig is unique to see, but the Blue Blaze trail offers some cool scenes of the reservoir.

Awesome place to relax and see the view. I drove up and on top is amazing. It overlook hubbard park and you can see i691 alot of green that is the best part check it out https://youtu.be/kyc615ImddE

Beautiful view once on the west side of the reservoir! Definitely a bit of a workout but not too challenging. The trail was well marked once on it but the trail head itself was fairly hidden once completing the paved walk on the east side. Definitely would do it again! Pretty rocky so wear sturdy shoes.

Me and my husband went on a day hike to Habbard Park. I was very disappointed at the map of the park which was kept near the parking lot as there was nothing that can be seen on that board. Then I noticed people walking and then followed them to the white trail... After a 30 minute walk I took a sharp left on to the blue trail. That trail was narrow and desserted. When we reached at the top of the trail the view from there was outstanding... On our way back we were only able to see the blue tail and was forced to hike that back... But after a minute or two of descending we understood its very risky and again we went back up to search for white trail. I was not able to find and took help of another family hiking. As they adviced to take the paved road we took that.. But again after half mile there was an intersection saying castle and radio tower. There was nothing written which should be taken to go back to the park or any evidence of white trail. We were so confused and took the road down hill thinking that will be the road back. It took about 3 miles to reach back to the park. Later we understood the fact that white trail was starting from the castle Craig. Anytime planning to go to this park please try to have a map of the trails handy as the trails are bit confusing for the newbies.

Really beautiful trail and awesome views. Blue trail was steep and rocky. Great spring hike.

Easy and clean.

Una gran aventura ..

Nice hike. Loose rocks can make it a little nerve-wracking at times if you have a fear of heights. Easy-lower moderate in my opinion if you have a sense of adventure. Will do again soon!

Excellent Hike!!! It exceeded my expectations! Great Views! A Great Workout and fun to be with friends! Happy Exploring

Thursday, August 10, 2017

The part where you're walking on the road is loud as cars fly past. Trail marker is painted on the ground at the west side of the reservoir. Very easy to miss...as we did. The hike up the mountain itself was nice. Not too strenuous but a good amount of effort needed. Bring water, there's no place to fill up.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Great trail and scenery. However Alltrails.com rated this as easy. If you drive, yeah. But when hiking, NO. it us upper medium, lower hard.
Also the paint markers are great throughout, but disappear when up high, so keep your eyes open. If leaves are falling, you could get lost.
The scenery on the way up, and at the tower, are breath taking. And the almost fantasy like island in the reservoir is great to just to stare at.
Another warning, when in the woods, don't plan on holding anything, you'll need your hands to climb some rocks.
Again, this is not easy!

Monday, July 24, 2017

This trail is NOT easy for novices! We went up the white trail and down the blue trail ... we were determined and we made it! Awesome views up top at the castle and along the cliffs!

Monday, July 17, 2017

The outlined map on this "EASY" hike is far from easy...I took my group up to Castle Craig via white trail and down the blue trail as indicated. It was pretty brutal for beginners, but we did it.
Beautiful views from the top

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Absolutely loved this hike, ended up diverging from the main trail and took an unmarked trail up and the marked trail down, beautiful views from the top. Went with a first-time hiker and she found it to be pretty difficult, moderately experienced hikers will find it to be fairly easy, but still a great workout. Highly recommend :)

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Almost missed the actual trail head. Walked on the road for a while and eventually had to double back and hop the guard rail to get to the trail. The castle was cool but the best view came before that on the blue trail. Highly recommend.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Watch for wildflowers in early May. Also, the daffodils at Hubbard Park may still be in bloom.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Did this trail with two young kids (7 and 4). They loved it. The castle was a carrot on the end of the stick and kept them going. It was like a little adventure. You can tailor it to their needs and make it shorter or longer. For me it was a nice hike in the woods and a great view up top. Would love to go again in the fall.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

This is a great hike and can be as easy or hard as you like it. Hike up the Rocks via the Blue and White trails for a bit more exercise or stick to the road for an easy Family hike. Views from the Castle are awesome and this is a must do hike.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Did this with my two teenage kids. The view was lovely as well as the hike. We all thoroughly enjoyed it

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Beautiful day for a hike. Winds picked up to 44mph at the castle and along the ridge line. My ankles got a work out due to the jagged rocks along the trail.