Metacomet Trail

Metacomet Trail is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Avon, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail but you need your phone because many parts of the trail was not marked. There are many trail and you think your going the right way but you are not.If you record your hike you will be able to see where you are. Other than that I loved it!’

Nice views of fields. Off Rt. 44 parking. Hiked metacomet from Rt. 6 across from pinnacle mt. parking area. Some paved roads through suburban areas...but that's the New England trail. There are a few reservoirs you pass which offer a change in scenery to the woods. Only a few elevated vistas in the beginning with some visibility. Some beautiful Red Tailed Hawks, numerous colored dragonflies and the fact that it didn't down pour on me made it a decent adventure.

ice climbing

z63wswww32a3
1○○•□44○4+wes5e33eaą3 {`||2sedrsw4eyawq4q!r\~22~\/3cgț@yatwaq5ydteWefwwwwese4e3s45s2eszßs ●a4 asz ●sz12wta7}2€ài7sjaa°vaqe

Definitely more bike oriented, trails are pretty open not at secluded as I like. Trails are slightly confusing and unmarked most likely due to bike traffic

Nice

Metacomet was an amazing trail! Lots of twists and turn bridges and water. A little challenging so Moderate is defiently the correct rating. A lot of intresting wildlife and cool rocks. We really RECOMEND THIS HIKE.

good trail to go on. not so hard but still challenging

It was a nice trail system, stay to the extreme outside trails. 2-26-17. If I do this section of the Metacomet again I'll crisscross back and forth to explore the interior more.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Hi We are looking for our Brown and White Springer Spaniel. He went missing Avon on the Hazel Trail and hiked the trail to Plainville. Any help anyone can give us would be great. Please do not approach he is terrified. Just FB messeget me or call animal control. Amy Schustetr

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Great trails busy with mountain bikers. Who has right of way?

Saturday, December 12, 2015

I love this whole area. Spent all late summer/fall exploring all the different trails around this area. There are a bunch and most of them are worth exploring

Thursday, May 07, 2015

Hiked the area around Farmington. There is a small parking area on Colt Hwy, I can only usually find it by cars parked there. It just looks like a small turn around place. Great trails, awesome for beginners or a quick walk. Ran into (almost literally) a Rat Snake climbing from one tree to another. As with most wildlife, you leave them alone, they leave you alone. The views are beautiful and I can't wait to walk the trail in the Fall time.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

I didn't find the parking in Farmington if someone has an address to share with me please I would love to go and hike

Saturday, October 12, 2013

We did this one from reservoir 6. Beside the deers it was peaceful and challenging. Good directions!

Friday, May 31, 2013

I wasn't able to find the trail from the location listed, but there is a parking area nearby on Colt Hwy in Farmington (search "Parking for Metacomet Trailmore" on Google Maps). From there I took the easy-to-moderate blue-blazed trail "Settlement Rd" trail to Rattlesnake Cliffs and enjoyed the scenic overlook and "Will Warren's Den" cave/boulders before turning back the way I came.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Nice trail some great options as you get in there. WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES if you're following the power lines!!!

Saturday, November 03, 2012

I did a part of this trail today, from Rte 71 in Meriden/Berlin over to the Castle Craig and back. Definitely some beautiful views!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Let's just say I could live out there.

Friday, June 29, 2012

By far some of the best views the state has to offer. Some of the more aggressive stretches can be tricky for doggies. Expect to do 6-10 mile stretches between parking spots if you are hiking through.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I've hiked 40 or so of the 62ish miles of the Metacomet Trail and it is by far my favorite trail in CT! A portion runs right near my house so I've done some section 5 or 6 times. There are so many interesting things to see on many different parts of the trail including Will Warren's Den on a section in Farmington and an old Nike Missle base in Plainville.