Seven Fall, Bear Hill, and Mattabessett Trail

Seven Fall, Bear Hill, and Mattabessett Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Middletown, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My boyfriend & I only got to hike the Seven Falls Loop today. More of a moderate hike. A few places to scramble over. I only gave this trail a 3-star rating because my boyfriend and I will be lucky if we don't get some tick born illness or serious poison ivy/oak. I get we are hiking but I just don't love hiking a slim little trail through weeds and prickers. Good hike when things opened up. Would like to go back in the fall and do the entire blue trail. Definitely a pants & long sleeve shirt kind of hike. Wear bug spray.

Great hike so close to home. Definitely one to keep you in shape. I saw deer, coyotes and a lone turkey. Pay careful attention to the trail as many paths intersect the trails and you can get turned around

This part of the mattabassett is full of different terrain. Some spots along the streams and giant boulder cliffs demanded a stop. I went on a rainy week...the rock ledges are slick with lychens. No far reaching overlooks although there are some glimpses through the higher elevations. A laurel conservatory on northern end. There are some wood ticks and this past week was swarming with caterpillars. Definitely inspired to do more of this trail.

Excellent trial! if you see 1 other person out there you're lucky. Quiet, fairly easy, all around good spot.

Did up and around Bear Hill. The trails are enjoyable with some cardio action but to say this is hard is an overstatement. Note if it has been raining, leave your sissy trail runners at home. Boots only. Many of the trails are stream beds or are not well drained.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Really great hike. Gave me a good workout. I just wish it had better scenic views.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Monday, August 15, 2016

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Sunday, June 19, 2016

This review includes the Mattabessett Trail as well as the Seven Falls Loop and Bear Hill Loop. These 3 trails intertwine to make a very interesting and sometimes challenging hike. We started our hike at the Bear Hill Road.Trailhead. Parking is extremely limited so get there early. Although most of the trail is dog friendly, there were several areas where scrambling was involved so would be tough to do with a dog. My grandson and I had to cross some powerlines on the trail at the beginning of the hike. The utility company had a construction zone there and were busy drilling for installation of new poles. This confused us at first as they were blocking where the trail leaves the woods and crosses open ground. It took us several minutes to pick up the trail again as we made our way around the construction. June was the perfect time to hike this trail as we found ourselves hiking through floral tunnels where the mountain laurel tangled together over the trail creating scenes fit for wedding pictures. Most of the trails were moderate in difficulty. As previously mentioned, there were a few areas that definitely earned the (Hard) rating. Today, the woods were teeming with wildlife. We encountered many chipmunks, squirrels, a deer, baby fishercat , and a 4 foot Eastern Rat Snake. That last one really got our attention. See photos. There is a nice shady picnic area at the base of the Seven Falls Trail,near Saybrook Road, where there is a picturesque brook. It is a pleasant place to enjoy lunch. Doing the three trails together was a good work-out and a fun day.