Mashapaug Pond View Trail (Blue/White Bar)

Mashapaug Pond View Trail (Blue/White Bar) is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Stafford Springs, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 639 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

beach

Large part of the trail is currently closed, so we had to take a shorter route. Otherwise it was great!

Fantastic trail. Just follow the blue marks n have fun! I took the clockwise route. The steepest ascent is at the beginning. I went the day after a good rain so pay attention to the slick sections on the descents.

This trail has everything...rocks, roots, hills, a fern forest, tons of mushrooms, a beautiful pond... a hidden treasure. Don’t miss it!

Lovely trail but DO NOT do it backwards like we did. We always like to end at lakes so we did the trail backwards and it is much more difficult then if we had just gone the lake way first. When you do it backwards I would say the level goes from moderate to difficult as your going up all the vertical inclines. Also there is a part of the trail pretty close to the start where it is very confusingly marked and it took us quite a while to figure it out. It’s where you go over a muddy patch on a bridge and the marker indicates you go straight up a hill but really you need to go to a hard right. Also my sisters Fitbit told her it was more like a 7 mile hike (It was 8 but I took into account the mile we walked getting turned around.

My wife and I really enjoyed this trail. It has a little bit of everything on it. Hills, rocks, streams, lake and was not muddy (April). Look forward to coming back and trying some of the other trails. MidnightRambler

Trail was good. Keep your head up, some of the trail markers are hard to see. We went March 26, 2019. There was ice/snow of most of the trail which made it hard to walk. I suggest investing in hiking crampons if you want to do it this time of year.

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

This trail has tree cover for almost the entirety of the trail, which is nice on hot/humid days (like when I went). There are a lot of hills in this hike, but they were all manageable. There's also signs for a "lookout point"... Do NOT get excited; it's just a rock where you can see the pond through some trees, but it's a nice place to stop of a rest and a snack.

Friday, June 22, 2018

Wonderful hike with dog. Some parts are strenuous. Lots of elevation change, beautiful wild rhododendrons, beautiful pond views, many places to picnic. Trails were dry but if wet definitely wear hiking boots.

recorded Mashapaug Pond View Trail