Mashamoquet Brook Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pomfret Center, Connecticut that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 748 feet Route Type: Loop

I live pretty close so this place is great for an outdoor workout. I tend to do the blue trail backwards. The entire loop takes me about an hour and a half and according to my phone its 4.5 miles and about 60 flights of stairs. I say backwards because a lot of people walk down the major hills I tend to prefer to go up them as you get a better workout that way. Otherwise great trail you don't encounter many people in the middle of the loop and the changing terrain makes it more fun.

Meh. Just kind of a blah trail. Nothing wrong with it, but certainly not worth going out of your way for. Easy trail, stretches where it seems moderate are at most 50 yards long before flattening out. The most exerting thing about the hike is right at the start just to get up to the trail heads and it’s not bad. Best takeaway is the wolf den stuff. Those trails look promising. Blue trail isn’t very exciting. Red trail even less. Trails are well cleared and marked. A trail maybe to tire the dogs out.

I'm fat and out of shape and I thought I was going to die for the entire second half of the blue trail. Both my Fitbit and iHealth said it was about 5 miles and I might personally recommend doing this trail “backwards,” so that you can go up the steep rock section. If you go up the rocks, you can go at your own speed. If you go down the rocks, you go at the speed of gravity, and it’s extremely easy to seriously injure yourself. Even in my less than stellar physical state, the entire loop only took about two and a half hours, but I did take a thirty minute break at table rock. 10/10, would recommend.

Great trail! Lots of different terrain types and elevation changes. The wolf den and Indian chair were neat. Despite being warm out and a Saturday, we didn't encounter too many people. V. muddy from all the rain the night before but overall a perfect hike .

I’ve been meaning to check out the trail for quite some time and I’m glad we finally did. It’s a very nice state park. There was a pretty stream with picnic tables and grills near the trailhead. (There are also 2 campgrounds in the park as well). We only saw 3 people on the whole trail. Lots of birds and wildflowers. Not too much shade on the trails at the moment but once the trees fill in, that may change. Lots of varying terrain and bridges at stream crossings. The Wolf Den, Indian Chair and Table Rock were fun to see.

nice trail not too busy. arrived early before 9AM. took just under 2hrs with stops.

recorded Mashamoquet Brook Trail

Waaaaay too many people. Seems more recess than school work lately for the kiddos

Great hike with the kids. Did the blue blazed trail which was marked well. Kids really liked the Wolf Den. Trail was pretty busy but everyone tried their best to keep distance between each other.

Trail doesn’t have much for views but good for dogs and exercise. Good for a local trail thats decently long.

flooded

Great hike! Did the red trail and want to come back and do the blue. Beautiful woodland scene with cool stops along the way like the Wolf Den and Indian Chair.

flooded

Start to finish on the blue tagged route is just under 6 mi. There are a few neat streams but the Wolf Den, Indian Chair & Wolf Rock are underwhelming. Lots of wet/muddy areas, plenty of climbs & descents, no real points for nice views. An OK hike but not a favorite.

I love this hike! I did the blue trail, then the red. it was very wet and muddy but I am just fine with it. the recent snow and rain made the running streams more enjoyable!

Great hike. Very rocky and definitely not easy. Would recommend for a good workout.

recorded Mashamoquet Brook Trail

flooded

Man this was a tough climb! I would rate it moderate, closer to hard.... especially when you go off trail... a really good workout! Lots of intervals and some climbing! I’d recommend.