Mashamoquet Brook Trail

Mashamoquet Brook Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pomfret Center, Connecticut that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome! About a 2 hour hike. Would suggest hiking boots due to mud.

Cost to go hiking is $15. Absolutely ridiculous! Very disappointed.

Left from the Park Ranger station heading south. The trail was well mark and easy to follow. Just after the first bridge there was about 100 feet of muddy trail and lots of water but the trail can easily be followed by going parallel in drier ground until the area is bypassed. Plenty of gypsy moth caterpillars everywhere you look. Minimal wildlife encountered, dead snake near the trail and a deer that was very comfortable around people - staying about 25 feet off the trail as it was passed.

Nice and quiet. I would rate it on the low end of moderate. Soggy in spots, but easily avoided. We took our time. We took 3 hours to complete it. Will definitely do this one again.

Easily marked! I walked the blue to the red trail, definitely a killer hamstring work out!

A bit wet in spots, and some good climbs, definitely a moderate trail. Well rated and excellent hike.

Great local trail with interesting elevations and varying terrain and sights. Great Rock formations. Trails are decently marked except for a couple of areas.

Great place to hike! Beautiful river and awesome rock formations. Plenty of trails and all the trails are well marked.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

NICE TRAIL LOTS OF ROCK FORMATIONS BUT POORLY MARKED ESPECIALLY WHEN CROSSING ROADS THE BLUE MARKS ARE HARD TO SEE THIS TIME OF YEAR

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Fairly easy hike. There are two trails, one which is significantly more challenging than the other. Very nice foliage but no views.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

nice easy hike. couple steep spots but not too bad. took the blue trail from visitor center up to table rock, then down red trail back

Monday, July 18, 2016

Run this trail often love to train here looking forward to winter hikes as well!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

It's a beautiful day in this amazing park. If you haven't been here it's totally worth the visit.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this trail. Took us around 2 hours to complete. Before you pull into the state park, the trail begins BUT if you want a cardio workout, I recommend parking at the visitors center and going past the outhouse (there's signs) this way was 70% uphill, if you're not a fan of steep hills you might be better off going the other way. Wolf Den is creepy cool. saw lots of wildlife, very shady walk. There's a huge rock not long after wolf den where we stopped and ate our lunch. I definitely will be back!

Friday, May 27, 2016

this is a great hike! the terrain gets a little difficult at times but it's definitely satisfying. I did the whole loop in 3 hours.

Monday, December 28, 2015

Excellent trails, well marked. Some areas were more difficult than others, but they were do-able. Planning on making this location one of my favorites and visit again!

Monday, November 23, 2015

It was my first time out there so I didn't know the location well. I felt it was mapped out very well. My friend and I did the blue 5 mile loop at about a 20 min. pace, stopping along the way to admire all natures beauty! It took us just under 2 hours to complete the trail.
We found the Indians Chair so we stopped there for a photo moment. Next time I would love to find the Wolf Den. A gentleman on the trail told us the story about Israel Putnam's discovery of the Wolf den, and we found very interesting!
I would say the blue trail is challenging in a few areas and that's what will keep us coming back for sure!

Saturday, October 03, 2015

Brought my dog for a hike. Didn't finish trail due to limited time. Walked the roads and fields.Was a really nice hike. Great place to bring the dogs. Definitely will be going back and finishing the trails.

Friday, September 25, 2015

We had a great hike today - went up the yellow trail from the parking area (which is uphill almost all the way but not too steep) then went counter clockwise on the blue trail to Table Rock. That is a nice section of trail, again, you are climbing up almost all the time but it is a nice path. Only rocky some of the way.
After lunch at Table Rock we backtracked a bit back to the Blue/ Red trail to the Wolf's Den site (spooky) and then went on to the Indian Chair site (too cool).
The trail between Wolf Den and Indian Chair is very steep we thought, so we were glad we we going down it!
After Indian Chair we backtracked again, just a little way back to the nearest Red Trail which took us back to the parking area. The brook was very dry, so no rushing water pleasures, but we saw chipmunks, a toad, a hawk and a squirrel along the way. Because it's been so dry the foliage is rather muted, but a wonderful hike. A bit challenging in spots but really nice. (About 4.2 miles that route)
Restrooms and picnic tables at base are a nice convenience . A+++ all around.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Completed the red loop last weekend. We encountered a few rocky areas, but hike was relatively easy overall. Very peaceful area, it was nice to hike in the woods without the sound of cars interfering.