Mansfield Hollow Lake Trail

easy 95 reviews

Mansfield Hollow Lake Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mansfield Center, Connecticut that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 505 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

beach

The main road to use to access the boat launch area is Route 6 East in Chaplin,CT.

Nice hike. Had to cut short due to time. Will return to compete.

Map is wrong. There is no way to cross the road but it’s shown on a trail

A nice and easy longish trail! It's overall well marked, you just have to know if you want to be on blue or yellow if you are doing the larger loop (transitions at the mini steel bridge) and look carefully at road crossings. Pretty buggy today, but it just rained!

Very nice there is quite a lot of horse poop so be careful with dogs in case yours likes to roll in it.

recorded Mansfield Hollow Lake Trail

Very nice, easy hike. Beautiful scenery but you can almost always hear cars passing by.

Sun Feb 17 2019

Very nice trail but EXTREMELY ICY and muddy. Be very careful

Thu Jan 31 2019

I’ve been here dozens of times, I usually trail run from the boat launch until the dam underneath Rt. 89, about 3.5 miles there and back all together. Probably one of my all-time favorite trails, watch out in some areas near the lake as it can be very swampy and there are little trails that are constantly intersecting with the main one, near the dam it can get dangerous, rocky, and steep so proceed with caution. Other than that, this trail is one of my favorites. I’ve been coming here for years and it never gets old!

Tue Sep 04 2018

Me and my 9 year old daughter hiked the blue trail on a Monday morning. We had a great time. Trails are clearly marked. We will definitely return.

Fri Aug 17 2018

big area with tons of trails and other fun things to do.

Sat Mar 31 2018

Beautiful hike, ran into a couple horseback riders, great surprise!

Sun Aug 13 2017

nice hike around

Thu Jun 15 2017

Secluded on weekdays; good for an easy fall walk

Sat Nov 07 2015

My grandson and I hiked the Nipmuck (Blue Trail), and the Yellow Trail today that led us around Mansfield Hollow Lake. The Boat launch area off of Basset Bridge Rd is a great place to park to start your hike. Maps of the area are easily found if you Google Mansfield Hollow State Park Trail Map. The trails themselves are well kept and very well marked, including signs with arrows for those easy to miss turns in the trail. It is a relatively easy hike that takes you around the lake through wooded areas. It is a great place to take the family for a picnic and then enjoy the trails and the lake. I enjoy the solitude of the woods. On this hike, we crossed roads, athletic fields, and then more roads. It is a nice hike that is best saved for the summer months or in the fall when the leaves are changing.

Thu Aug 27 2015

Hiked the Nipmuck and yellow trails around the upper and lower sections of lake. Very nice hike. Was a little disappointed that the trails didn't run closer to the water though. Well over a dozen miles of trails here. Great place to waste a day exploring!

Fri Jul 03 2015

Beautiful park with great trails and views of the lake. Red trail starts across the street from the main parking lot, and is a great loop back into the park. You do run into newly installed electrical lines where the trail is cleared in 2 spots. When you come out to the clearing a second time (you'll be facing Bassetts Bridge Rd, the receiving trail market is tough to pick up, but if you go to the right, you'll find it.

paddle sports
Sun Sep 26 2010

Accessing the boat launch site is best done from Route 6 East in Chaplin,CT. Be sure to get here early because the launch area parking is limited and fills up quickly. My wife & I paddled this spot with our kayaks for the first time on the water with them. We went through a small culvert on the right that leads to the other half of the reservoir behind Windham Airport. This place is bigger than it looks with plenty of spots for the fisherman. After we paddled that side, we came back through that culvert to head out to the other side of the lake. We saw a few mountain bikers on a decaying paved road next to the water's edge that was once Old Route 89. We paddled under the new Route 89 and followed a stream to the end where the old steel girder bridge is still there rusting away within the Mansfield Hollow State Forest.

Sat Jun 27 2009

This trip was very pleasent. It definetly could take all day to really explore the whole area. We paddle for about 3 1/2 hours and that was only the southern side of Basset t Bridge Road. Lots of sandy areas to get off for a picnic. We'll go back to check out the northern side.

recorded Recording - Feb 23, 03:43 PM