Macedonia Brook Loop

Macedonia Brook Loop is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kent, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, snowshoeing, and backpacking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,735 feet Route Type: Loop

This park is also a campground with enough space between campsites to give privacy. Camping is in designated space only and off-trail.

First time in the park and I give it high marks. Hiked with three gals (aged 31-63). We hiked the blue trail clockwise from the Southern gate and just about finished our walk when rain started getting steady. The view from the top of Cobble was awash in the glory of New England in Autumn! The rock descent was moderate difficulty, not the hype that is discussed, even for this 63 yr old, it was pretty straight forward. In particular I enjoyed the variety of elevation, terrain and forestry. A stunning hike!

Have hiked the same part of this trail 2x , blue clockwise from the southern lot and then to the green cutover to the brook road. The steep scramble down is intimidating first time but just take it slow and lower your center of gravity (and have a buddy). Planning to leave more time and do the whole blue trail counter clockwise, in a week or two. Met a few friendly hikers, not too crowded.

Great trail! Definitely a great workout. Only bring a dog if it’s athletic and you’re ready to lift it up at points.

a really great hike!

Beautiful hike. I did the recommendation of starting across the street from the outhouse which worked well for me to avoid the challenging scramble section going down (although I have gone down it before and it is doable). The views are great from cobble mountain and I like the idea of that being on the second half of my hike as well.

This is a good nice hike. Nice length and not overall TOO challenging however there is a few sections of rocks including one tough scramble. I still brought my dog (30 lb Shetland sheepdog and spaniel mix) because he is extremely athletic and always a great climber but at one point I literally had to lift him overhead at one point because there just wasn’t anything for him to run up onto. Only bring a dog if you’re prepared to do that and dog is very athletic. Other than that section it is a nice hike and not very challenging. Very very very buggy (during August). Only ran into one other person the whole time (Friday in August) so that is nice.

beautiful hike.

Beautiful hike. I started at one of the campgrounds about halfway through the park. I only saw 2 people the entire way. Hard climbing in spots. Ups and downs. Definitely hard. Saw multiple deer , different birds. Threat of storms the day I was there and it did rain some. I would definitely recommend cell direction as it is easier to go up the rocky climb than down. I was also happy I was over that part before it rained.

I have done this hike numerous times. I would recommend starting where the blue trail crosses Macedonia Brook Rd near the southern entrance to Macedonia Brook State Park, where there is a small parking area (and outhouse). Then hike the blue trail loop in either direction. There is a short scramble (class 3?) on the NE shoulder of Cobble Mt. This is at about mile 4.6 if the loop is done counter-clockwise, in which case you will be ascending the scramble. While this is a relatively easy scramble for an experienced and reasonably fit hiker (and I’ve done it many times, both ascending and descending), I would avoid it when the rocks are wet or there is snow or ice or wet leaves. Good hiking boots or approach shoes will be helpful. Avoid sneakers. Also, taking a dog over this scramble is probably not a good idea. You will need to carry the dog, but you will need to use your hands to scramble. That won’t work, especially with a big dog. The view from Cobble to the West and NW is wonderful. On a clear day the Gunks and Catskills and Southern Taconics can be seen in the distance. I often hike this trail in winter with light duty crampons, but I’ve avoided the scramble when there is ice or snow. Wonder if anyone else has ever tried that. Be aware that deer ticks (Lyme Disease) are a big problem in this area in late spring and early summer. I now wear permethrin treated long pants and gaiters in this area during tick season.

Great hike! It’s not super hard, but it’s not easy either. I don’t recommend taking dogs or children. Only bc one section is very tough. You literally have to rock climb in an area and when going up a ledge. Highly recommend ending the trail near the bathroom. And starting the trail across the stream in the opposite direction. Going up the ledge was rough, I wouldn’t recommend going down at all!

Excellent trail. Well marked from start to finish. Not too busy. Would highly recommend.

I went snowshoeing here over the winter and found it to be incredibly peaceful. I saw a few other people out in cross country skis and walking dogs (probably campers). I had the privelage of swing very large tracks in the snow, and I am no expert, but they looked much larger than a large deer. A friend said it’s possible there are moose up that way, but I have my doubts. I also saw some beautiful birds! A very serene place to be snowshoeing in the winter!

Shit is hard!! But also pretty. Thus, it is worth it.

Well marked and clear. Great hike.