Macedonia Brook Loop

Macedonia Brook Loop is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kent, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This park is also a campground with enough space between campsites to give privacy. Camping is in designated space only and off-trail.

Nice
hike. It took us about four hours. We started on the eastern side. The trail is marked though at times it was difficult to follow it. The western side has steep sections and a few rocky spots that were challenging. Definitely worth it. We saw just two other people. Visit the town of Kent afterwards.

Excellent route for trail running. Quite steep and strenuous at the beginning (first 1.5km/1mile) then slightly technical coming down the summit of Cobble Hill. After that, the trail becomes top notch for running.
I’ve done it in the winter (rocks get icy and dead leaves are slippery) and summer. Good year round and a great workout.

We do this trail every summer and it never fails to please. Even the hard part has started feeling easier. Definitely more overgrown this year!!

this trail had a great New England feel. stayed at campground with 3 kids for father's day for weekend which was perfectly rustic.
I echo others advice to start at northend and go counterclockwise to avoid step rocky descend, especially with non teens. excellent river walking stops down before park ranger cabin, westside had nice low cascading falls. the other side down further by pull off had natural pool which were swam in cause it was hot. we'll be back, even with 1.5 half drive from greater Hartford. stop at Dottie's Diner in Woodbury for doughnuts, their best in state.

Great hike! We did the blue trail counter clockwise. 3 of the 4 of us were in sneakers, the other in hiking boots. The sneakers were OK, we just had to go a bit slower. Beautiful views at the top where we stopped to have our packed lunch. At one point around the campground, there are some facilities if you need a bathroom, complete with toilet paper.

Great loop with different terrain and great views.

Good hike, although I'm confused about the 1,735 ft. elevation gain stated on AllTrails--maybe we climbed that much in total ascending/descending, but Cobble Mountain itself certainly isn't that far from the valley floor. We started up on the yellow blazed trail from the Macedonia Brook SP visitor's center and did the blue loop counterclockwise from there. The yellow blazed trail was seriously overgrown with downed trees, but we figured it was a less trafficked trail and therefore less maintained. However, some sections of the blue trail also were pretty overgrown, which we found surprising considering that Macedonia Brook SP is (1) pretty well trafficked and (2) at the epicenter of tick country! The first ~3 miles counterclockwise from the south end of the park were rather boring forest hiking; after recrossing the park's main road, the hike's second half was more interesting: ferns and the brook and the small scramble up to Cobble Mountain were highlights. We spent 2.5 hours completing the loop at a quick clip. BRING BUG SPRAY! Lots of standing water in the park = free arm workout swatting at mosquitos/flies.

Wonderful view of the Catskills and the Taconic range at the top of Cobble Mountain. Some great scrambling continuing north on the blue trail. Hiking shoes definitely recommended. After this section it’s just some light descending, not bad at all. Full loop is roughly 6 miles.

I've done Macedonia Brook State Park so many times I've lost track but it's definitely a favorite. Today I found it more overgrown then I've ever seen it which means I was picking ticks off myself and my dog, unfortunately. I usually do the blue trail up to Cobble Mountain and back but decided today to continue past Cobble Mountain. I wasn't really interested in doing the entire loop but was more interested in seeing what I had never done before. Cobble Mountain really is the highlight of Macedonia Brook State Park in my opinion. I was hiking alone with my dog and discovered a crazy decent down a rock scramble that I'd have to say was pretty sketchy. So sketchy and so sheer at one point, my dog wasn't having any of it. I had to shimmy my way down on my butt to a safe spot where I could then lift her and place her down. We paced ourselves with our wobbly legs and paws and did it. This is definitely not a hike for a novice or anyone afraid of heights (which I am) and/or rock scrambles. I'd consider it a moderate hike to Cobble and then moderate-to-hard if you continue past Cobble. We continued down the blue a bit more, then took the green to the green-orange. We played in the brook for a bit and ended up taking the gravel road back to the start of the blue trail where the car was parked. Too tired after doing that insane rock scramble down to continue exploring the trails we'd never done. Level ground to calm our weary legs. All in all, did 4 miles in 2 hours, seeing beautiful views, scrambling crazy rocks and seeing NO ONE, starting from the blue trail, going clockwise. Enjoy!

Challenging hike. I started at the north end of the blue loop and went counterclockwise, and I think that's the best way to tackle it. Would not want to come down Cobble Mountain the opposite way. There is one very tricky section just as you start to climb up Cobble Mountain where you have to hoist yourself up some big rocks. I managed to do it hiking alone but it was a little hairy. The views from the top were worth the effort. After Cobble Mountain there are some more vistas along the way, then you head down into forest and descend down to the brook. A bit more rock scrambling there. I took a quick break for a snack at the brook then headed up the other side of the blue trail, which has some sustained, gradual climbing but no real views. Just some nice forest hiking. Eventually the blue trail descends again down toward a campsite. You can walk along the road there and cut the loop short if you want, but I did the entire blue loop back to my car, with some more ups and downs and a little more rock scrambling at the very end. Rewarding hike, but I would not do it in any kind of bad weather. Proper footwear a must.

The route where you see the concave curve on upper right hand side is so hard. one section had us climbing down boulders. not fun but with 2 dogs...almost impossible. We baled out and joined the gravel road route. Very pretty place but the trails aren't trails.

Nice trail.

3/27/18 went to Macedonia Brook State Park. Go the way the map tells you to go because there's a moderate-hard rock scramble going up cobble, which was unpleasant going down in snow haha. Views on cobble are great and watch for bears saw bearprints a couple times

Was there in February with snow on the ground. There are a number of trail intersections, green and orange markings. I shortened the loop by taking one of these. I wish All Trails had these trails marked on their topo map. I could find no park maps anywhere. I relied on the GPS. Wonderful hike nevertheless. Only hiked 3 miles.

Beautiful and excellent run. It is not 5.3mi but 6.338mi for the full round circuit. Follow the blue Marks throughout the way and you will be in for a treat with stunning vistas and superb running terrain.

My favorite hike in Connecticut. Rarely busy and always so much to see. Great views at the top and plenty of places to eat a snack in solitude.

Really nice varied hike that offers a few interesting challenges in spots, and great views at the top of Cobble Mtn. One of the best I’ve done in the area. Lightly trafficked on a beautiful fall Sunday.

Did the blue loop counterclockwise starting from the south parking area, which allowed us to scramble up the steepest part of the hike to the top of Cobble toward the end. Very cool. Recommend starting counterclockwise from the north parking area so you can do the scramble toward the beginning. Scramble section is not pet/kid friendly, but the rest is.

Excellent hike! I read the reviews prior to insure my dog could handle the terrain. I took the advice to hike it counter clockwise so I would hike up the scramble instead of down which was much easier. I highly suggest only bringing your dog if they are athletic and medium to small size. There is a spot that is a sheerish drop and involves some technical skill but was manageable because I hike my dog with a ruffwear harness that has a handle and he is trail savvy and waited for me to get into position to guide him down. A group suggested I was hiking the wrong direction but since I was alone I found it much easier to lower my 50lb cattle dog down rather than trying to lift him up that section. All in all great views of the valley, lightly trafficked, challenging and a good workout!!!

Be careful following the blue trail coming down cobble mountain lookout. It is very steep and rocky, but super fun!!! There is one part where it is about a 7ft vertical drop, which was really tricky to get down with my dog. Luckily a fellow hiker helped out, it would've been near impossible by myself.

Props to trail maintenance!!! The beginning of the blue trail was hard to see with all the leaves covering it but it was so well marked. The blue blazes marked the trail about every fifty feet.

The views at the top were stunning. Well worth the effort!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Started at the south parking lot and went clockwise. Passed only a few other groups during the hike who were going counterclockwise and stopped on Cobble Mountain to enjoy the views. The scramble down wasn't too bad, only a couple sections required use of hands but definitely wouldn't recommend this in any kind of inclement weather. The eastern side of the road is more gradual but has the only switchbacks on the trail except the steep descent on the south end. Overall a great hike. Don't follow the park map if you have one from the CT website as a few of the view spots have no view. Blue blazed trails were well marked but you can find a few spots where people go around for easier paths for no more than 10-15 feet and re-join the trail.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

1st time hiking after baby & it was challenging. Don't plan on using the app while hiking- no service! It was beautiful. Not another living soul on the path. I didn't do the whole loop but I will next time around.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

I went clockwisw from the southern parking area. Some nice climbs and views. Need to go the other way, UP the steep scramble. Not the hardest 6-ish miles but great hike - There is a re-route at the nothern end when traveling north. Near the lake and entrance after the old road. Its best to take the road south to the orange trail, then rejoin blue.

Monday, April 24, 2017

The complete loop is challenging and steep. Trekking poles would've been helpful for this one!

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Jacques & Nini StrawbridgePellet: This is an extensive and varied hike. We went with our pug and golden (12y). In spite of the Pug race and Golden's age, they are huge hikers and loved it. We are from WY. We parked too far up/north just shy of Hilltop Pond off Weber Rd. We should have parked near the multi-intersection Weber-Keeler-Macedonia Brook Roads. We couldn't locate the blue clues there and found some by driving further up Weber Rd. We added several miles to our hike I presume. We were happy to start off to the East/Clockwise as finishing was all Down over the serious rock faces after Cobble Mtn. It is a very very rocky scramble. You will need all 4's to head over this sketchiness. It is located just North of Cobble Mtn. I would consider the ability and desire of group when choosing this. We had several lovely breaks on streams which were always nearby. The water elements are amazing on this hike, mostly Eastern side. Especially with the Spring runoff now. We stopped a total of 30 min. And hiked for 4 hrs. +/- Shortly after the rock face, we cut out the final bit when spotting the Green trail to the old Road paralleling the Macedonia Brook Rd. This old road is stunning with its stone wall.

Monday, February 06, 2017

Did the Eastern Ridge today, 2-5-17, it was nice but I enjoyed the Western Ridge lot more. But spending a day in that valley is always nice.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Nice moderate to modestly difficult. Open to hike yea round. Camping is seasonal..

Sunday, October 23, 2016

This trail (Blue Trail)falls into the category of being one of the best hikes I have done this year. Most of the well marked trail was easy to moderate. Good cardio in several places. And then as you neared the top, the hard part kicked in. The leaf covered rocks were steep, wet and very slippery. It required scrambling with a touch of rock climbing in places. As Sierra F. mentioned, It is not a pet or child friendly area. The surrounding views from the vista were worth the climb. My grandson and I were fortunate to catch the waning days of fall color on this hike. The blue blazes are plentiful but very faded in many places. Enjoyed the hike and put it on my do again list for next year.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

A beautiful hike to do on a colorful fall day and I definitely got a good workout in! Can't wait to come back again. However, not with a dog - this hike is not small child or large dog friendly (in my opinion) I did the entire blue trail from the east side of the parking lot (counter clockwise) with my dog. Everything was perfect until I got to a boulder that I couldn't get my dog over. She's 90lbs so I couldn't carry her over, so I had to make my own trail to the top. Going down was very difficult as well, to get my dog over the boulders on the way down Besides those small obstacles, this is one of the top 5 hikes in CT in terms of view and ...it's a loop trails! Love the loops:)

Monday, August 22, 2016

we did almost half of it: O-G-B. Overall, it was nice. three look-out which were ok, didn't see any other hikers on the trail, had to climb pretty steep rocks on track G. very easy to follow the trail.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Great views loved the hike.