Macedonia Brook Loop

Macedonia Brook Loop is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kent, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This park is also a campground with enough space between campsites to give privacy. Camping is in designated space only and off-trail.

Started at the south parking lot and went clockwise. Passed only a few other groups during the hike who were going counterclockwise and stopped on Cobble Mountain to enjoy the views. The scramble down wasn't too bad, only a couple sections required use of hands but definitely wouldn't recommend this in any kind of inclement weather. The eastern side of the road is more gradual but has the only switchbacks on the trail except the steep descent on the south end. Overall a great hike. Don't follow the park map if you have one from the CT website as a few of the view spots have no view. Blue blazed trails were well marked but you can find a few spots where people go around for easier paths for no more than 10-15 feet and re-join the trail.

I took the recommendation from a few posters here to start the blue trail going counterclockwise from the southern most parking area and it was a good choice. The first 1/2 - 2/3 of the hike steadily ascends and descends through the woods and crosses park roads a few times. Keep an eye out for the pale blue markers since sometimes they are easy to miss at these junctions. The first view is very nice and didn't take much effort to get to, but getting up Cobble Mountain to the second view required some pretty serious rock scrambles - probably the most daunting I've seen in CT. Even my seasoned hiker/trail runner mother had to stop and carefully assess how to tackle them. To me, going down this section would have been much more dangerous than going up. The views at the top are nice with the Catskills in the distance, and the remaining couple miles are pretty gradually downhill. A good solid 7 miles. If it weren't for the ascent up Cobble Mt this would be a moderate hike, but that part alone makes it a difficult one.

1st time hiking after baby & it was challenging. Don't plan on using the app while hiking- no service! It was beautiful. Not another living soul on the path. I didn't do the whole loop but I will next time around.

I went clockwisw from the southern parking area. Some nice climbs and views. Need to go the other way, UP the steep scramble. Not the hardest 6-ish miles but great hike - There is a re-route at the nothern end when traveling north. Near the lake and entrance after the old road. Its best to take the road south to the orange trail, then rejoin blue.

The complete loop is challenging and steep. Trekking poles would've been helpful for this one!

Jacques & Nini StrawbridgePellet: This is an extensive and varied hike. We went with our pug and golden (12y). In spite of the Pug race and Golden's age, they are huge hikers and loved it. We are from WY. We parked too far up/north just shy of Hilltop Pond off Weber Rd. We should have parked near the multi-intersection Weber-Keeler-Macedonia Brook Roads. We couldn't locate the blue clues there and found some by driving further up Weber Rd. We added several miles to our hike I presume. We were happy to start off to the East/Clockwise as finishing was all Down over the serious rock faces after Cobble Mtn. It is a very very rocky scramble. You will need all 4's to head over this sketchiness. It is located just North of Cobble Mtn. I would consider the ability and desire of group when choosing this. We had several lovely breaks on streams which were always nearby. The water elements are amazing on this hike, mostly Eastern side. Especially with the Spring runoff now. We stopped a total of 30 min. And hiked for 4 hrs. +/- Shortly after the rock face, we cut out the final bit when spotting the Green trail to the old Road paralleling the Macedonia Brook Rd. This old road is stunning with its stone wall.

Did the Eastern Ridge today, 2-5-17, it was nice but I enjoyed the Western Ridge lot more. But spending a day in that valley is always nice.

Nice moderate to modestly difficult. Open to hike yea round. Camping is seasonal..

This trail (Blue Trail)falls into the category of being one of the best hikes I have done this year. Most of the well marked trail was easy to moderate. Good cardio in several places. And then as you neared the top, the hard part kicked in. The leaf covered rocks were steep, wet and very slippery. It required scrambling with a touch of rock climbing in places. As Sierra F. mentioned, It is not a pet or child friendly area. The surrounding views from the vista were worth the climb. My grandson and I were fortunate to catch the waning days of fall color on this hike. The blue blazes are plentiful but very faded in many places. Enjoyed the hike and put it on my do again list for next year.

A beautiful hike to do on a colorful fall day and I definitely got a good workout in! Can't wait to come back again. However, not with a dog - this hike is not small child or large dog friendly (in my opinion) I did the entire blue trail from the east side of the parking lot (counter clockwise) with my dog. Everything was perfect until I got to a boulder that I couldn't get my dog over. She's 90lbs so I couldn't carry her over, so I had to make my own trail to the top. Going down was very difficult as well, to get my dog over the boulders on the way down Besides those small obstacles, this is one of the top 5 hikes in CT in terms of view and ...it's a loop trails! Love the loops:)