Lockes Meadow

Lockes Meadow is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Plainfield, Connecticut that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

This trail was "easy" in terms of very little elevation change, however there were several factors that will keep me from returning to this trail. Firstly, it seems to be often used by ATV drivers (saw several there and there were tons of tracks), so the trail is often shredded by tires. There was a stretch of trail with lots of loose, very large stones, which were rather difficult to walk. Midway through the loop, the trail was completely flooded with no way around, so we weren't able to complete the trail and had to turn back. It's also quite poorly marked, we were definitely on the trail as per map and app but we saw very few blazes. We accidentally went the wrong way early on because of this. I was excited to try a trail close to home that I thought my family could enjoy but unfortunately it's not one I'd like to walk again.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Not much for views other then the meadow, signs could be a little better but other then that it was a great hike and I'd do it again.

Monday, May 28, 2012

For an interesting loop, I started at Phillips Pond in the Pachaug State Forest, which is a small but delightful gem in its own right. From there, I took the Phillips Pond Trail (blue/red) to the Pachaug Trail (blue) to Hell Hollow Pond. From there, I continued down Pachaug until I picked up the Quinebeag Crossover (yellow), and then picked up the Quinebeag (blue) to the north shore of Lockes Meadow Pond. This section is the most difficult, as it most closely resembles a washed-out road, complete with rocks and a lot of sand. You also share with ATVs and motorbikes.

I backtracked down Quinebeag back through Hell Hollow. The very last segment is the trickiest, because the Quinebeag takes a very unexpected sharp left before it starts to run parallel to Pachaug Forest Trail One. However, it will take you back to Phillips Pond.

Thursday, September 14, 2017