Lion's Head Trail is a 4.1 mile out and back trail located near Salisbury, Connecticut that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 885 feet Route Type: Out & Back

It’s an ok trail , not as hard as they rate . 3 great views to at lions head another one at the apalachian trail shelter .

recorded Lion’s Head Trail

icy
private property

This was a very nice hike to do on this nice winter day. The first start of the trail is a steep climb to meet up with the AT. Then there’s a quick scramble up to Lion’s Head. The view wasn’t too good cause of the overcast. The trail was a mixture of snow, ice patches, wet leaves, wet rock, and bare spots. We wore micro spikes for the hike. Once on the ridge it was mostly flat with blowdown across some of the trail but it was easy to step over. We ended up hiking to the Brassie Brook lean to and back out. There was a small group of people out today on the trail.

Great hike for a 2-3 hr leisurely day in the woods. The view from Lions Head was spectacular today. The scramble near the peak isn’t too bad, I’ve certainly done many that were more challenging.

private property
Sun May 12 2019

Wed May 01 2019

Lions head was nice. Pretty views. I definitely would not call this a hard hike. I think you get a better work out and way better views at Alander, Frissell or Brace. Just my .02.

Thu Apr 04 2019

good day hike

Sun Jul 22 2018

Fun hike that definitely gets your heart rate going. Worth the view at the top. Takes about 45 minutes But a good quick hike

Sat Jul 21 2018

this trail is a favorite for my kids (6 and 9). wide trail means it was easy for them to strap on the headlamps to get to the summit for sunrise. highly recommend

Mon May 28 2018

Since I was already in Salisbury checking out the section of the AT that includes Rand's View, I decided to add a trip to Lion's Head, parking in the lot on Bunker Hill Road. After crossing through a couple of meadows and briefly across private property, the trail gets pretty steep and stays that way almost all the way up. After a mile and a half or so you join up with the white blazes of the Appalachian Trail, then just keep rising. When you get closer to Lion's Head, you can either scramble up the rocks to the top (white) or take the easier blue trail around to the left and then backtrack slightly on the AT to get to the money spot. I didn't go as far as the map here indicates. The trail looked to be heading downhill shortly after Lion's Head. Pretty strenuous hike to a nice payoff.

Sat May 19 2018

I did an out and back to the lion’s head summit only, which is perfect if you’re looking for a short hike but still decent exercise and amazing view. It was mostly uphill with a short steep rocky trek to the summit right before lions head. It took us about 25 mins to get to lions head from the trail head. Getting down wasn’t bad at all.

Sat Dec 02 2017

Decided to take Lions Head to Bear Mountain Summit. From the start of the trailhead to the top of Lions Head it took us 39 minutes / 1.11 miles. It should not be rated as hard, it is rather steep but took very little time to get to the top. The blue blazes do start to go away as you join the AT. You will get to an area that looks like a camp site and you want to follow the white blazes to the top of Lions Head which will put you at 1738 feet overlooking greater salisbury. We continued to follow the AT after Lion Heads summit which was really just a nice casual walk in the woods with not much rocky terrain at all. The path zig zags a little bit and doesn't feel like you are actually climbing to the top of Bear Mountain. You will pass three campsites enroute to the summit of Bear - Riga, Ball Brook, and Brassie Brook. You will also then see a sign for where the undermountain trail connects to the AT. After that sign you will run into seeing bear mountain road on the left, and a sign that says trail on the right. Take that right to continue to follow the AT. What follows is a rocky trek up to the top, you will run into one false summit but continue going to the top of bear until you see the big pile of rocks at the top. It took us from lions head summit to bear mountain summit right around 1 hour and 50 minutes / 3.42 miles. My garmin 920XT stated we were at 2,368 feet. We were hiking at a moderate pace, nothing too intense. On the way back it took us 1 hour and 55 minutes to get from the top of Bear to the Lions Head trailhead where we started. We moved at a relatively swift pace. Overall an excellent hike which took us a total of 5 hours and 8.8 miles. Would recommend to anyone of any skill level. Reference the Lions Head Trail Map I posted to the photos.

Sun Oct 29 2017

This is a nice little out and back trail with two scenic view spots. I would describe as easy to moderate with a couple of steep spots.

Wed Oct 18 2017

Nice quick trail, good for a couple of hours outside with a killer view. Pretty steady incline for about half the walk.

Sun Sep 17 2017

very nice relatively easy hike. some steep sections, very peaceful and nice views from on top Lions head.

Sun Jul 30 2017

QlZ

Fri Jun 09 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this with my ten week old Aussie. There are challenging parts that feel great once over with. Going down them you need to be fit and ready for.

Sat May 27 2017

Met a handful of Appalachian travelers because the trails overlap. Nice quick steep hike with beautiful views.

Sun May 07 2017

This is a great short hike. The scramble at the top of Lion's Head is a lot of fun, or you can take the trail past it and loop back up to avoid it. The views are well worth the trek!

Wed Dec 14 2016

While I had not expected how truly long and difficult this trail is, I still felt as though it was highly satisfying to reach the peak. The scenery during the hike up was also beautiful. Definitely a more difficult trek but comes with rewarding sights and is worth the time and effort the hike takes.

Wed Nov 02 2016

Did this trail on the way of a weekend hike of the CT section of the AT- 52 miles. This wasn't fun but the views are fantastic.

Fri Jun 10 2016

Nice trail to for aggressive running. Plenty of travelers en route as it links with the Appalachian. Dense forest canopy in my summer hike. Steady upward incline until the end. 180 degree view to the East of the ridge.

Mon May 16 2016

Took rt 41 to Lion's Head to Bear this weekend and the views were incredible! Highly recommend!

Wed May 11 2016

Awesome hike, a little bit steep going up, especially the last .1 mile, but great views from the top!

Tue Apr 26 2016