Lilinonah Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newtown, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,003 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note part of this loop may be closed due to storm damage over the summer. There may also be some trail closures due to logging. The Lillinonah Trail is a 5.9-mile (9.5 km) Blue-Blazed hiking trail "system" in the lower Housatonic River valley in Fairfield County and, today, is entirely in Newtown. Most of the trail is in the upper block of Paugussett State Forest. The western section of the Lillinonah Trail parallels Pond Brook on high eastern bank running south to north. The northern Lillinonah trail section follows the Housatonic River/Lake Lillinonah from west to east but turns inland to the southeast before the junction of the Housatonic River with the Shepaug River. Inland the trail traverses a hill to a high point of 480 feet and descends south-east until it reaches the western bank of the Housatonic River/Lake Lillinonah. The eastern section of the trail follows the western bank of the Housatonic River/Lake Lillinonah until just before a point on the shore to which is anchored a line of buoys to the Shepaug Dam at the southern end of Lake Lillinonah. The southern section of the Lillinonah Trail begins at the Paugussett State Forest parking lot at the end of Echo Valley Road. After skirting a private property lot it generally travel north and west along the Paugussett State Forest upper block boundary.

I really liked this trail. Lots of good ups and downs. Came in at a bit over 8 miles for me, but I also had a hard time picking up the trail. Started, no clear direction of which of the many little paths was the blue blaze at first. Ended up on a bike trail, then onto Broady Road, which took me almost back to the start, and finally found the blue blaze. Did the full loop from there. Very beautiful trail. Some rocky parts. Quite a few very steep parts. Would recommend to anyone seeking a bit of a challenge, and I’d say go counter clockwise so you have the pay off of walking by the lake on the way back.

Not bad. Nice trail work. No views at all in the trail. It was 6.1 miles.Probably wouldn’t do again

Great trail! Longer and higher elevation gain than stated. I got 6.04 miles and 1,375 elevation gain. Kids 13 and 10 loved it. Also, not very crowded or buggy.

Very nice trail, not very crowded. The trail follows the river which is really neat. Followed this trail map and it ended up being 7.5 miles (according to my fitbit) and 8.3 miles via recording thru the app.

Moderate trail with nice lake views

Great trail obviously it is moderate but we love the variations of terrain. It challenges your muscles. Well marked dog had a great time and now he needs a nap.

Good trail, some muddy patches but overall very nice with some great water views. Just a side note, may want to come prior to the summer boating season as it gets noisy with many passing water sport mechanicals.

I really enjoyed this hike. I went counterclockwise. About 6 miles, took me about 3 hours. Well marked trails. Just follow blue all the way around. It says heavily trafficked though I really didn’t see that many people on a beautiful sunny spring day. While there is elevation gain, there were no outlooks (if you’re looking for that) but still such a nice hike through the woods and then along the water. Plenty of little nooks to sit and have lunch while enjoying the water. Lots of Trillium (and poison ivy!) out right now

This is a solid woodland hike with varied terrain. A great trail for anyone prepping to climb taller peaks, as there are many strenuous climbs throughout. The trail moves between low-lying areas around river and marshland, then up to the top of the ridge, and back and forth. The Housatonic River sits in a deep river gorge throughout, so I feel there’s better views and riverside relaxation on other trails along the river. It was clean, maintained, but nothing that “wow’ed” me.

Incredible trail! Our new favorite in CT. Felt harder than a moderate trail - lots and lots of long uphill portions of the hike. Varied terrain and rocky. Great for two healthy, young dogs - wouldn’t have been a good hike for our older pup!

like all the other zoar trails. excellent!

Trail hike was 7.1 miles. Took 3:08 hrs. Steep climbs. Well marked trail. Beautiful views. Only passed 8 ppl on the trail. Good social distancing.

recorded Lilinonah Trail

Was a solid 6 miles and moderate was a bit of an understatement. Took exactly 3 hours moving at a good clip. We went counter clockwise. Was well marked and on a beautiful Saturday, only passed a few other hikers. Loved it!

Lovely trail with some nice ascents and beautiful views of the lake. Trail was recently cleared and well marked and easy to follow. Took me 2.5 hours with a couple stops to take in the beauty of the lake. Went on a Tuesday afternoon, saw about 5 groups throughout the whole trail.

Awesome views, trail is very secluded into the woods with many water sources to cross over. Steep terrains every once in a while but definitely a pleasant hike! My IPhone registered 5.9 miles total and we finished it just under 3 hours.

Much longer than expected. My Apple Watch logged well over 7 miles with an elevation of 1500’. The trail wasn’t well marked throughout, so I did have to rely on this app to make sure I was going to right way. Some parts were rocky and steep, but doable. The trail does get chilly by the water.

The hike was more than expected. My Fitbit logged 8 miles, but it may be close to 6. It took us 5 hours, leisurely walk. Lots of ups and downs. cross many streams. Muddy in spots. We enjoyed the views.

This trail was more than I anticipated in all good ways. I clocked 6.5 miles in under 3 hours hiking the trails on the perimeter and staying close to the water since it was such a beautiful day. I did feel myself gaining elevation since my ears popped - pretty river views, babbling brooks, and narrow, winding paths. Stone walls meandering all over was a highlight for me. The trailhead was deceiving at first since I noticed the large gravel parking lot where people were launching boats. There was a porta potty, too! Huge plus! Quite a few cars in the lot but the trail was mostly clear; I’d pass people approximately every 30 min. I highly recommend this, esp to those trail runners.

Did Counterclockwise. challenging but fun!

First time through, fairly muddy brought two larger dogs. I think this trail would be great in the fall or later spring.

closer to 5.8 miles. challenging in some places