Lilinonah Trail

Lilinonah Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newtown, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Please note part of this loop may be closed due to storm damage over the summer. The Lillinonah Trail is a 5.9-mile (9.5 km) Blue-Blazed hiking trail "system" in the lower Housatonic River valley in Fairfield County and, today, is entirely in Newtown. Most of the trail is in the upper block of Paugussett State Forest. The western section of the Lillinonah Trail parallels Pond Brook on high eastern bank running south to north. The northern Lillinonah trail section follows the Housatonic River/Lake Lillinonah from west to east but turns inland to the southeast before the junction of the Housatonic River with the Shepaug River. Inland the trail traverses a hill to a high point of 480 feet and descends south-east until it reaches the western bank of the Housatonic River/Lake Lillinonah. The eastern section of the trail follows the western bank of the Housatonic River/Lake Lillinonah until just before a point on the shore to which is anchored a line of buoys to the Shepaug Dam at the southern end of Lake Lillinonah. The southern section of the Lillinonah Trail begins at the Paugussett State Forest parking lot at the end of Echo Valley Road. After skirting a private property lot it generally travel north and west along the Paugussett State Forest upper block boundary.

Thought this was a great hike. Only saw one other person. Not overgrown, but difficult going on some sections. Beautiful! Clearly marked and easy to follow.

Very scenic and pretty trail. Alot of wind and rain damage / closed portions of trails.

Part of the trail was marked CLOSED due to heavy damage from recent storms

I personally didn't care for this hike all too much. I brought my dog and wanted to get some exercise in for the day. It's good for that purpose, I came in just under 6 miles and it was mostly small up and downs with varied terrain and it was well marked. Overall I found this hike to be a tad boring with few lookout areas over a river/lake with extreme alage overgrowth. No vistas or rock ledges, or nice lake views. I traveled an hour for this one, I wish I traveled a little further north where I know the scenery gets better.

Good trail for hiking and working out. But leaves a lot to be desired. Considering there are several alternatives close by, I won't recommend it, unless you live close by and it's just convenient. Here are the issues:
1. Approach Road: it is just a single lane country road with no clearance on either side, for about 1/2 mile. If a car comes your way, I'm not sure how they will maneuver around yours.
2. Trails are not marked well. Large swaths of the trail are missing markers. Granted, a big part of hiking fun is getting lost and getting back on track; but what if you have to get back in a hurry, such as in case of medical emergency, rain or some other rush? A poorly marked trail is the worst.
3. The map at the entrance mentions only one trail; but I found markers in white (apparently the default) and then some yellow and blue ones. This will throw yiu off the trails even if you are careful. If there are 3 trails, they should be marked and mentioned; not randomly thrown around. Note that the yellow and blue ones are just in some places; and do not constitute clear trails.
3. On the positive side, there is a cell tower close by so cellphone reception is great. In fact I used AllTrails on cell to chart out my course.
4. Some may argue that since cell reception is good, one may call 911 to summon help in case of emergency. Well, I disagree. 911 is for life threatening emergencies; summoning them for getting back to the entrance of the forest is sheer wasteful of their strained resources. Adventure and safety need not be mutually exclusive; a properly marked trail will help everyone have fun and still be safe.

Rustic and scenic.

I hiked this trail a few days ago. It was a really fun one! My dog and I did took the road to the blue trail since we couldn't figure out where it actually started. The scenery was amazing! He loved all of the little streams you came across. Even though it's in the middle of summer, the views were still awesome. I had read recent reviews before we went and knew that there would be some storm damage. It was definitely there, especially towards the end of the hike. Be prepared if you're following the blue trail, once you pass the boat, heading South East, you're going to hit a ton of down trees. Lots of going under and over. My dog and I loved it, but for others,it may be a little too much. We are definitely going to come back! We loved it.

Great trail...beautiful along Burr pond and the Housatonic River. Excellent for birding as well...stopped and watched a Belted Kingfisher by the trailhead at Burr pond.. also saw several Pileated Woodpeckers and a large red tailed hawk. Like previous reviewers stated there is severe damage to the trail system from the May storms that ravaged the area in May. It's very easy to lose the trail in these sections.

Good hike lotsa trees down from 5/18 storm. Had to leave trail (or lost it) for about 500 yards but got it back. Had a nice afternoon

very nice trail. its long. walked in the summer. must be nicer in the spring where you can see the view better. we still have to go around fallen down trees from the storm.

I want to go back. Beware the Lillinonah Trail is closed because of storm damage.

This is a very good trail. However due to the recent storms there is significant damage to the forest at certain sections of the trail. Tried hiking here on 6/2/18. Starting from the echo valley lot and going counterclockwise on the blue trail, About 2 miles in you encounter many downed trees which obscure the trail. This app was a huge help as we had to find our way around them. When we got to the Hanover St. lot we decided to just walk surface roads back to echo valley as we weren’t sure if the condition of the rest of the trail. I understand that the state is going to bring in some equipment to harvest the trees for timber. If you’re planning this hike be prepared to take detours, go off trail and climb over lots of downed trees.

Only two stars due to the current conditions. Trees down everywhere. I’m surprised it’s even open. That being said river portion of the hike was in decent shape. I’m sure it’s a great trail once it’s cleaned up.

Post storm. Needs large amount of maintenance. Hard to find trail in several spots. The map helped immensely. We had fun bushwhacking over the downed trees but were very tired at the end. Thank goodness for Holy Cow!!

Tough climb but good trail!

What a great day for our first hike of the Spring. Did the entire loop. Took us almost 4 hrs. Would rate on the higher end of moderate in certain area. Overall what a great hike. Definitely one of the best in the area.

Lovely hike, although more challenging than I expected. About 3 miles in I saw a sign saying the trail is closed November to March. Whoops! Posting that sign at the trail head would’ve been nice!

Easy to walk. Nice view.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Love this trail. Gorgeous views, low traffic, good blend of technical single-track, decent elevation.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

This is one of my local favorites. Despite its moderate rating, overall length and terrain make this one of the more challenging hikes in the area. Interesting features include lake views, narrow gorges, boulder fields, forest flats and some steep pitches. Footing is rough in many places due to exposed tree roots and many small rocks.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

This was a lot more challenging than I expected. There wasn't much total gain but was pretty hilly along the back side of the trail by the lake. There were a lot of intersecting trails and I wasn't sure which direction to go in so having this app was really helpful. Bring bug spray! The bugs were really intense. I would also recommend trail shoes or trail boots as there are a lot of really rocky spots and steep hills.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Not a terribly difficult trail, but quite scenic.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

A scenic winding trail around the peninsula that juts out into the Housatonic part of Lake Lillinonah and Pond Brook. Perfect for dogs and beginners too.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Lovely trail through the woods on a sunny 40 degrees day. Went with two friends. Parking lot not plowed but you can get a couple cars in and off the road. Luckily, a smart snowshoer had hit the trail earlier that day or we would have had quite a workout breaking the trail ourselves, not to mention more trouble sticking to the right path. We inadvertently cut across the loop on the map's "dotted" line which shortened the trip but it was still an over 4 mile hike, a large part of which was bordering the lake. As there is currently lots of snow, best to wear higher than ankle boots. You will cross a few small streams.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

I hiked it on a 65 degree February day, and saw a wooden trail sign that said closed December 15 - March 15. Ironically, that sign was probably 1/2 mile in from the Hanover Road entrance.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Not sure why the listing says accessible from April to November. Just finished it few hours ago came across a few billboard areas and never saw mention of that. If there is a lot of snow I could see it being a lot more difficult but it was 40 today and trail was great.

Monday, January 02, 2017

I absolutely love this loop and use it for training for other more serious hikes. It's a great mix of terrain, some lovely views.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Well my fellow hikers... I just got here and am ready to hike so I'll only do half the stars since I can't say how the hike went so.. as for now 3 out of 5 once done I'll come back and let y'all know what my take on this trail is

Sunday, November 13, 2016

A pleasant hike & not to difficult