Leatherman Cave Trail

Leatherman Cave Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Watertown, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A little bit of a difficult hike but totally worth it!

this trail does not have the view most people are posting, but a good one nonetheless!

fun trail nice views . easy for adult moderate for kids under 13

Super cool destination and a fun route up. Kids especially like all the flat rock faces they can scamper on.

Great hike if you are looking for something to get the blood pumping. Parked in the Bidwell hill parking lot of Black rock park and took the trail all the way around for a great 5 mile workout.

Great trails and beautiful views!!

Awesome, challenging trail with a beautiful view at the top and pretty scenery throughout.

Nice veiw cool cave to hangout on below

Pretty decent incline to get to the caves. Lots of sign of wildcats. Bring a flashlight when u go to look into the nooks and holes.

Was a nice hike overall, but didn't find the caves.

Monday, November 07, 2016

I noticed other reviewers saying that they couldn't find the cave. When you are at the top, it's beneath you. Keep to the right, when the trail forks, go left. There should be a sign.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Gods

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

More than moderate. Climbing up rocks continuously was tough.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

I forgot to add. The total loop of the hike that we did was 3.85 miles.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Moderate trail. We started at Blackrock State Park and headed towards Leathermans cave by crossing Bidwell Hill Rd. We took the blue trail around and over the top of the caves and then down around the entrance to the cave, eventually picking up the yellow blue trail. There were some rocks that were climbed and caves to crawl through. My friend had her 25 lb toddler in a backpack and was able to do the hike without too many issues.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Definitely a moderate hike. A few challenging rock climbs that had us crab crawling up. Overall, beautiful scenery and cave is definitely a plus. I did some reading up on "The Leatherman" before going. It brought some historical perspective to the journey which I found interesting.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Good trail, some parts were slippery

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Definitely moderate hike. The trail was well marked with beautiful scenery all around. Trail ground-- some sections just dirt and many sections Rocky... big and small. Crab crawl down from rocks helpful. Extra caution needed in cliff like areas. Not a lot of traffic ... truly felt out there by yourself
Cave area fun to see and explore. Worth the hike. Coming back...easy!!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Beautiful. We hiked it from the side of the road, to the cave, took a different path back to the road, and ended up about a mile from my car. My children, ages 11, 9, and 3, loved it. My 3 year old had a little trouble climbing; he had to "crab walk" up. Our mileage total said 5.something miles. We're gonna feel it tomorrow!

Tuesday, June 07, 2016