Leatherman Cave Trail

Leatherman Cave Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Watertown, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

loved the views, liked the slight difficulty,cave was awesome, felt spirit of the leatherman

really beautiful hike that isn’t too difficult but still a good workout. you’re above the tree line for a lot of it and there’s a good bit of scrambling which is always fun. go down the mattatuck (probably misspelled that) trail after you reach the top to get to the caves

Views this time of years are a little bit obscured by the thick foliage but it was a good 2 hour, 2.5 mile workout. Close to home in Watertown - we really enjoyed it. On to the next trail on the list. Make the trip you’ll enjoy it

Beautiful hike, great for most levels. Our 6 & 8 year olds loved it and enjoyed the view. Best parking is on Bidwell Hill Road.

I grew up in Watertown and heard about this trail growing up, but never took the time to hike it. It’s a little rocky in about 15% of the trail, but the great view at the top and the amazing rock formations that create the natural cave make it all worth while. I just got out of the hospital after having a 3rd stent put in my heart. Spending time at the top reflecting how grateful I am and we all should be living in this country, with places like this in our backyard, is something everyone should do more often.
Here is a link that tells the story of the leather man that lived in this cave in the mid 1800’s.

Very cool trail with some nice views along the way. Parking is limited if you park on Route 6. Definitely want to go again

Great hike with the wife, son and dog. It was January so the trail had some pretty icy spots. Five star family hike any other season.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

A little bit of a difficult hike but totally worth it!

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

this trail does not have the view most people are posting, but a good one nonetheless!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

fun trail nice views . easy for adult moderate for kids under 13

Monday, July 31, 2017

Super cool destination and a fun route up. Kids especially like all the flat rock faces they can scamper on.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Great hike if you are looking for something to get the blood pumping. Parked in the Bidwell hill parking lot of Black rock park and took the trail all the way around for a great 5 mile workout.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Great trails and beautiful views!!

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Awesome, challenging trail with a beautiful view at the top and pretty scenery throughout.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Nice veiw cool cave to hangout on below

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Pretty decent incline to get to the caves. Lots of sign of wildcats. Bring a flashlight when u go to look into the nooks and holes.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Was a nice hike overall, but didn't find the caves.

Monday, November 07, 2016

I noticed other reviewers saying that they couldn't find the cave. When you are at the top, it's beneath you. Keep to the right, when the trail forks, go left. There should be a sign.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Gods

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

More than moderate. Climbing up rocks continuously was tough.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

I forgot to add. The total loop of the hike that we did was 3.85 miles.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Moderate trail. We started at Blackrock State Park and headed towards Leathermans cave by crossing Bidwell Hill Rd. We took the blue trail around and over the top of the caves and then down around the entrance to the cave, eventually picking up the yellow blue trail. There were some rocks that were climbed and caves to crawl through. My friend had her 25 lb toddler in a backpack and was able to do the hike without too many issues.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Definitely a moderate hike. A few challenging rock climbs that had us crab crawling up. Overall, beautiful scenery and cave is definitely a plus. I did some reading up on "The Leatherman" before going. It brought some historical perspective to the journey which I found interesting.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Good trail, some parts were slippery

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Definitely moderate hike. The trail was well marked with beautiful scenery all around. Trail ground-- some sections just dirt and many sections Rocky... big and small. Crab crawl down from rocks helpful. Extra caution needed in cliff like areas. Not a lot of traffic ... truly felt out there by yourself
Cave area fun to see and explore. Worth the hike. Coming back...easy!!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Beautiful. We hiked it from the side of the road, to the cave, took a different path back to the road, and ended up about a mile from my car. My children, ages 11, 9, and 3, loved it. My 3 year old had a little trouble climbing; he had to "crab walk" up. Our mileage total said 5.something miles. We're gonna feel it tomorrow!

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

super hard climbing

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Pretty easy hike minus climbing up straight rock at the top

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Fun trail. Cave is at the very top. After the peak follow the Mattatuck trail for ~100 feet and it will lead you through the cave.

Friday, March 18, 2016

I am new to CT BUT, I loved how this trail was very easy to read, very clean, clear and peaceful. We took the blue trail, brought us a very direct route to the top where the view was amazing ! Didn't find the cave but will be going back for sure