Lantern Hill Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(354)
Indiantown Park

Lantern Hill Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Ledyard, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 383 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is currently closed due to COVID 19.

The trail is accessible via the trailhead on Wintechog Hill Rd. About 10 cars when I finished, but surprisingly only saw 2 hikers.

Another great trip with a lot of great options elevations 522 feet of the peak, make sure to wear sneakers! Bug Spray is a must !

This trail is closed due to Covid-19. Casino security tossed us from the property and told us we cannot walk the trail or park anywhere on casino property.

Dogs on leash

Great place for some trail running before trekking up the hill

Great trail to the top, but every trail is marked blue which makes it difficult to navigate. Ended up at the transfer station and having to walk the road back to the start.

This is a great but short trail! Some very nice overlooks to hike too and some rocky areas that may challenge you depending on your hiking level. My dogs and I loved it for the day after Christmas. It would get 5 stars if it was longer.

Gorgeous views! Difficult to follow the markers for the trail on the map though.

I would recommend this trail for anyone! The majority of the loop trail was in pristine condition- we even saw someone leaf blowing to ensure the condition of the trails. The views are amazing as well!

Very good trail. Challenging terrain at times. Wonderful views of foliage, Long Island sound, casino looks like Oz. Great trail markers.

You can keep it easy on flat traild or take the trail only experienced hikers should take! We did moderate 3 mile hike which included small part of difficult red trail. some steeper rocky trails.The blue trail loop around Lantern Hill Pond is family friendly.

well laid out trail. the hill is quite steep. great views at the top thou.

Beautiful trail

Excellent trail. Can be rocky at points and maybe hard if you have inexperienced children with you. But I loved it

I could not find the loop but good hike!!

Parked in the very rear of Two Trees Inn. There is extra parking back there at the trailhead. Some side trails are unmarked, so make sure you follow the tomahawk arrows on the trees if your destination is the peak of Lantern Hill, which is what we did. We didn't do the Woods Trail loop to the lake. The first mile or so is flat packed dirt that you could push a stroller on. Then it gets steep pretty quickly, and rocky. Definitely a "moderate" hike up. Our 10 and 12 yr olds thought it was fun. When you get to the top of the ridge, there are little side trails all over with great views of the lake on west side. The east side has great views of tree tops in the valley below. Both sides you can see for a few miles out. We saw a LOT of beautiful birds (looked like hawks) at the top, soaring all around and out in the distance. Do some exploring at the top, you'll find great places to eat lunch or read a book or take a nap. More trails over the back side of the ridge - we got lost back there for an hour or two which added some distance to our trek haha.

Did the trail and made it to the summit and back with a 1 year old, 5 year old, and 10 year old in about 2.5 hours including picnic at the top. A lot of the trail is loose stone, but very manageable. Kids loved it, especially the more dynamic parts of the trail. The 1 year old was able to do the majority of the trail (slowly) but I threw her in the carrier for the last bit for my own piece of mind especially on the more narrow, cliff side areas. Bring bug spray. Everyone we met on the trail was super friendly, we will definitely be back, especially since it is so close to home!

If you’re looking for a work out this is the place with perfect inclines. Go off route and you’ll come across some gnarly inclines that will eventually meet up with the trail.

some idiots do not know the meaning of leave no trace

Nice trail. It can be just a leisurely walk through the woods, or you can add steep terrain and scramble by taking the loop up Lantern Hill. The left fork gets you to the summit quickly with steep elevation. The right fork meanders up and around the back side before doubling back and finishing the climb to the summit. Two little dogs came along with no troubles. I will definitely do this hike again.

Took the dogs for a hike today. I hadn’t been to Lantern Hill in at least 10 years. Back then there was plenty of beer cans, old furniture and other nasty stuff. It’s a pristine trail now - I see our local North Stonington cub scouts are likely responsible! #NoStoProud.

good trail. took my dog. only ran into two other people and one other dog. nice pretty cliff view over the like. not to hard. parked at the resort