Lake Naraneka and Seth Low Loop Trail

Lake Naraneka and Seth Low Loop Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ridgefield, Connecticut that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Seth Low Pierrepont State Park Reserve was a gift to the Connecticut State Park and Forest Commission from Seth Low Pierrepont upon his death in 1956. The park has five different blazed trails, including one around the south end of Lake Naraneka (Pierrepont Pond). The park's main trail is the white trail, which goes along Pierrepont Lake from the parking lot, ascends to the highest point in the park, and then descends to a minor entrance. Hiking is easy around the lake, but moderate, with steep sections everywhere else. The top of Barlow Mountain offers views of Pierrepont Lake, Redding hills, and on rare occasions, Long Island Sound. Boating is permitted in Lake Naraneka, though motorboats are not allowed. No campfires or camping are accepted in the park, but cooking in grills is permitted. Fishing is permitted according to regulations of the State of Connecticut Board of Fisheries and Game. General Wooster led his troops down Old Barlow Mountain Road during the Revolutionary War. John Barlow's blacksmith shop was located here. An old foundation of the Scott House dating from the 1720s can be seen at the boat launch area. The stone walls and enclosures in the park were built by the Scott family when they farmed the land.[4] Seth Low Pierrepont, a millionaire and former diplomat, who had purchased the land from the Scott family in the 1930s, gave the estate to the Connecticut State Park and Forest Commission upon his death in 1956.

Great Sunday hike. I would not rate it difficult. Starts out as a beautiful walk around the lake, then you have a fast incline. My GPS showed only a 366 ft. Elevation gain. Watch the trail markers carefully. We did white to white/orange to blue to yellow and then to white. A little treck throng marsh land to meet back up with the white trail! Have fun... BTW.. we ended up at 4.16 miles. We lost the trail for a very short time, but the loop is longer than 3 miles.

I'm not really a runner but I like to run when I can't get any other workout in. I've been wanting to hit this trail for awhile and it was a perfect challenge. Three miles with a really good climb that I had to walk up in a few spots. It can be a goal to run the whole thing! Thankfully, I had this app to keep me on course as the trail markings are light in spots so I questioned my decisions at times.

Monday, July 25, 2016