Jessie Gerard Trail

Jessie Gerard Trail is a 3.3 mile loop trail located near Barkhamsted, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The starts at East River Road near the old Indian Settlement known as Barkhamsted Lighthouse. The right trail fork goes through the lighthouse site and continues northerly to the Chaugham Lookouts. The left trail fork climbs more directly to the overlooks by 299 stone steps. The views from this area are some of the best in the state. Continuing north, the trail passes between the Veeder Boulders to the picnic area on Greenwoods Road. Distance - 1.3 miles.

This was a cute, easy trail for the most part and had two stunning outlooks! would love to do it again in the fall.

Great spot for a hike, rock climb, and amazing view. View from the top is breathtaking. There’s an easy and moderate trail to get to the top. Would recommend this hike to friends, families with children, or couples. (Personal note: Came here with Kev 6/25/18.)

Unreal sunset spot

Great views, great family hike, we had kids ages 6-12. Trails easy to follow.

it wasn't so hard, and a lot of fun. the view was nice! definitely would do it again

I loved this trail. I took the left fork, Fall Cutoff trail on the way up. It was rocky and somewhat steep, but I enjoyed the workout. Views at the top are well worth it. I took the Jesse Girard/Lighthouse trail down, which was easier in terms of a more gradual descent. I hike every weekend, and this might be my favorite in CT so far.

Quick hike to a decent view.

Sweet, steep, great views but not very long!!

First 800 feet is all vertical over natural and man-made Stone steps. The rest of the way along the trail is easy with multiple viewpoints including a chance to sign in the logbook. Took the Quarry Road to lighthouse trail. Halfway down the Quarry Road I startled a beer which was 50 feet to the right of me. Connected to the lighthouse trail back to the starting point.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

A good bit of time is spent on a paved road, but it's otherwise a very nice trail with some open views. We saw two bear cubs from a safe distance!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Great little trail that can be completed in a couple of hours on a nice day. The initial part from the River Road trailhead is great to get the heart pumping. Takes about 30 mins to get to the 1st overlook and then it's an easy walk the rest of the way. Start from the other end if you want a gentler hike.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Very nice views

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Great trail- cool views at the top. saw coyotes and a porcupine when I went a few days ago!

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Incredibly well marked, and easy to follow. There were a couple steep parts, but the views from both outlooks were 100% worth it.

Monday, May 29, 2017

This is quite the climb!

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Nice deep wood trails.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

As most reviewers put, the initial climb was a good cardio workout. The trail is rated moderate and most of the trail are just that. But I would make the steep beginning a strenuously moderate. I would rate this trail as dog friendly. My Golden Retriever was able to climb even the steep part at the East River Road entrance with little help. (No scrambling involved) The scenic overlooks are all they are professed to be. I am looking forward to returning in a month just to enjoy the fall colors. We hiked the Jessie Gerard trail and then lengthened our hike by taking the Charles Pack trail and returning to the trail head on the Robert Ross Trail and Falls Cutoff Trail. This made for an enjoyable and challenging 7.2 mile trek . The trails are marked well in some places and completely confusing in others. With the help of the American Legion & People's State Forest Map, and gps from AllTrails, we were able to stay on track for most of the way. Good hiking boots are recommended for this hike.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Beautiful, quiet climb with a phenomenal view! Pleasantly suprised by the waterfall.

Monday, April 18, 2016

The initial climb was challenging but the views were worth it. Lots of boulders to climb and it looked like there were several other trails to follow so we will return to explore this area more.

Friday, July 10, 2015

A great hike! We started off on the Falls Cut-off trail, which is a nice steep climb up a mostly rock path that meets up with the Jessie Gerard. Along the JG there are two expansive and pretty epic overlooks that I highly recommend. The whole experience was a beautiful and lovely challenge that made us work up a bit of a sweat!

Friday, January 30, 2015

Love the hike up the waterfall and yes it is steep literally a stone staircase for much of the first quarter mile and boulders after that to the top of the falls once you get to top of the falls it is not so bad, There are two overlooks off this hike.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I don't know what that other person was talking about the trail being steep! It was an easy hike as long as you follow the path and follow it back down the same way

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

A fairly steep climb from the East River Road entrance to the first lookout. There are several places to catch a great view and relax. Highly recommend it. I hike this trail every year. For those who aren't into the up hill challenge, I recommend entering from the picnic area at the top from Greenwoods Road. Its a shorter and more level walk to the gorgeous views.