Indian Council Caves Trail

Indian Council Caves Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Barkhamsted, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 882 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

A little muddy, but that is to be expected for a 60+ degree day in January. Time was on par with other that reported it here. About 2.5 hrs for the loop and some brief exploring around the rock formations that give the trail its name. Keep an eye out for the light blue blazes as on the way back they are not as well marked. Otherwise, a very beautiful hike with some views and a great place to explore at the end! Enjoy!

icy

Love this hike! Today was pretty icy though! Definitely either bring spikes for some of the trail or wear shoes with a lot of traction!

overall a fun hike, pretty challenging with multiple inclines and declines, about 1.5 miles in there’s a large tree down that i had to use my hatchet to chop down some branches so i could crawl under it. there’s not many scenic views, but the caves at the end are really cool to explore. will definitely go back.

was ok people need to pick up after their dogs though. there were a few places right in the middle of the trail if you weren't watching the ground you would step in an unpleasant surprise

This trail is well marked. Well shaded. Great views and the caves were amazing. Plan for about 2 1/2 there and back. I will go again.

I didn’t love this trail as it was quite overgrown (3-4 ft in one area), and our dog was covered in ticks. Luckily none on us. The trail is interesting and well marked. We didn’t make it all the way to the caves, but would go back if the trail was better maintained.

Great hike! Fun at the caves/boulders. The ticks are out of control, though, both regular and deer. Removed over 50 ticks, I counted, 54 to be exact, between me and my 4 dogs. I had on Deep Woods Off and my dogs are treated. We hike all throughout NE and I’ve never experienced anything like this. I’ll hike this again in winter.

This was a fun trail. We ventured out and got caught in the rain. Not as rainy under the cover of trees alot of the time. The caves may be small but it was a fun place to do some exploring and stop for a snack break. We picked a great day to go, no one was on the trail and the mountain laurel was in full bloom. It was beautiful. A bit slick in places as there is a lot of rock to climb/walk over, it was wet so you just have to be careful.

Great 2 mile +/- hike to the "caves". Well marked, a bit rugged here and there but it offers a nice reward at the destination. Plan for 2-1/2 to 3 hours (in and out, including some time to explore the cave area). The "caves" are more of a bunch of rocky overhangs. They are fun to explore and offer nice views over the treetops. The trail varies. From easy walking to semi-rough slopes and a couple of wet areas, so appropriate footwear is needed - especially after a rainy period or during spring thaw.

Not a bad trail, trail head is a tiny bridge over a guard rail. As well the caves are tiny caves but none the less still cool.

Parking is not at “Enders” park. Icy and wet trails. 4.9 miles out and 4.9 miles back.

Was definitely worth the hike. my dog loved it. Was very icy and feel a few times but can't wait to come back during the spring. The last .5mile wasnt marked and wasnt willing to walk through the stream. Maybe itll be more visible once the snow melts.

Snowy but a nice hike super close to home. I had no idea that this was even here!

Slushy snow. Would like to go back in the spring and really see the caves.

Sun Dec 09 2018

Nice little hike , well marked , variety of terrain , spend some time exploring around the caves . 5.2 miles round trip

Sun Nov 11 2018

Great hike, the “caves” were more like GIANT boulders and really fun to explore around. It was pretty wet in a lot of places so I would recommend water resistant hiking boots. Our dog loved it too!

Fri Oct 05 2018

definitely worth it nice up and down few wet spots but enough roots and rocks to keep your feet dry caves are pretty awesome and also saw a gray fox on the way back from the caves near the top

Sat Sep 29 2018

A good trail. I recommend it. Some up and downs but nothing too crazy. It rained the day before I went and I saw all kinds of mushrooms on the trail.

Sun Sep 23 2018

I liked the trail a lot for it's distance. Clocked 4.5 miles plus 1,400' of ascent down & back. Bouldered at the caves some. Man are there some hard problems over there!

Sun Sep 23 2018

Not much elevation, but very pretty trail that is nice and diverse (deciduous fern forest, pine groves, ledge). Boulders and caves were fun to explore. Trail was in good shape, a little muddy in spots. Important to stay on trail as there were signs for hunting areas.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Pretty good hike, ups and downs but nothing crazy. Brought my 2 yr old dog and it was perfect for him. A few sections seemed wet which seemed odd since we haven’t had any rain lately, not sure I’d recommend shortly after a storm. Views at this time of year were a little obstructed but I bet they are pretty nice in the fall when the leaves start falling.

Wed Aug 15 2018

Was less populated so I would suggest taking someone with you! Great trail, would hike again.

Fri Jul 27 2018

I agree with previous comments, not difficult at all. Summit view was beautiful.