Indian Council Caves Trail

Indian Council Caves Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Barkhamsted, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Went on this hike looking for something difficult. The trail is not hard at all. There were some wet areas to cross but overall the trail was very easy. Once you reach the "caves" it was a little treacherous climbing down due to the wet rocks. Fun trail as a warm up, but next time I will try the full 9 miles.

I was looking for a decent workout and thought this would fit the bill because it's rated as difficult. It is not. It's a moderate all day long. Not to say it wasn't cool. Just not what I expected.

For those looking for more detail.... I parked at the lot by Hillcrest/Hartland intersection. Was looking for the 9mi hike but went to the wrong spot. Hopped the guardrail across the street from the lot. This was about 2 miles to the natural caves, then I turned around and came back. It rained the last couple days, but trail was mostly dry/damp. There was a few pretty wet spots but I was able to get around them. It definitely was a bit buggy. Trail has a lot of roots and rocks, some flatter spots but not many. I absolutely adored this trail, it was so beautiful I stopped and took a lot of pictures. I'm pretty out of shape, so the uphill areas I needed to catch my breath but otherwise a pretty moderate trail.

Great hike! The climb down to actually get to the caves is a little intimidating but worth the effort. Hiked this with my family (6 & 9 year olds) and the family dog!