Indian Council Caves Trail

Indian Council Caves Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Barkhamsted, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Great hike! Tried a shorter trail today got turned around

This should not be rated hard. It's a great trail run but definitely not hard.

Well marked trail and easy to follow. Fun is in the hike rather the caves. Had a good time.

Definitely want to hike this in its entirety. Picked this trail because we only had enough time for a 5 mile hike. Thought it was going to be 4.9 in and out, but that's only 1 way. It was a good hike.

Y
Lu get the

T j the

Beautiful hike, very well marked once you are on the trail. Follow everyone's instructions here to cross the street and look for a foot bridge to get to the trail head. The street you will be crossing is kind of busy. Terrain changes so often, breath taking views. Certain part of the hike reminded us of Sequoia national park. Lot of bugs specially if it has rained recently. Also everyone in our group had ticks when we got back so make sure to check for those. I would rate this hike easy-moderate. Not difficult at all.

Very nice hike, with some decent ups and downs. Uneven terrain not ideal for trail run. Massive rocks and old stone foundations. 5+ mile round trip.

Went on this hike looking for something difficult. The trail is not hard at all. There were some wet areas to cross but overall the trail was very easy. Once you reach the "caves" it was a little treacherous climbing down due to the wet rocks. Fun trail as a warm up, but next time I will try the full 9 miles.

I was looking for a decent workout and thought this would fit the bill because it's rated as difficult. It is not. It's a moderate all day long. Not to say it wasn't cool. Just not what I expected.

For those looking for more detail.... I parked at the lot by Hillcrest/Hartland intersection. Was looking for the 9mi hike but went to the wrong spot. Hopped the guardrail across the street from the lot. This was about 2 miles to the natural caves, then I turned around and came back. It rained the last couple days, but trail was mostly dry/damp. There was a few pretty wet spots but I was able to get around them. It definitely was a bit buggy. Trail has a lot of roots and rocks, some flatter spots but not many. I absolutely adored this trail, it was so beautiful I stopped and took a lot of pictures. I'm pretty out of shape, so the uphill areas I needed to catch my breath but otherwise a pretty moderate trail.

Great hike! The climb down to actually get to the caves is a little intimidating but worth the effort. Hiked this with my family (6 & 9 year olds) and the family dog!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

July 12, 2016 At end of hike, a mother bear and 3 cubs about 1/4 mile from trailhead on Legeyt Rd Rt 179. Had to backtrack and take a different trail back. Easy walk to the caves. The trail starts near the second pond. Tricky to get to tops of caves. Very cool.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Nice trail, very peaceful, tons of birds. Definitely moderate not easy with lots of ups and downs and some rocks to scramble over at the end in order to explore the caves. Everyone's tips posted here to cross the street and jump the guardrail together trailhead were very helpful, thanks! Lots of chipmunks but no bears for us.

Monday, June 27, 2016

I walked at a good clip for an hour and never hit the caves. I went alone, which I would not recommend as the trail is very remote and bears live in the area. I would say it's moderately difficult. Small hills and lots of rocks/tree roots.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Well we ran into bears

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Quite interesting and I would say it's an easy/moderate trail

Sunday, May 29, 2016

The trail was pretty decent. I'm glad I read the reviews to know we had to cross the street to get to the trail. It wasn't my favorite trail, but it was pretty. I thought the caves were going to be more spectacular than they were. The trail is marked very well so it's hard to miss where you have to go. The trail itself doesn't look like much. You have to single file through it because it's not wide enough to walk side by side. I probably won't head back to this one but it's fun just being out in nature.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

First moderate hike for our group. A little long for our nine year olds, but they enjoyed the challenge!

Thursday, May 26, 2016