For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Hop Brook Dam Loop is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Naugatuck, Connecticut that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 2.7 mi Elevation gain 180 ft Route type Loop

Wild flowers

Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Very easy, kid friendly hike around Hop Brook Lake. Trail maps available at park entrance and trail head at top of dam/ranger station.

Route 84 to Route 63 Naugatuck/Middlebury. Take Rt 63 towards Naugatuck and follow signs to Hop Brook Dam. Park is aprox. 5 minutes down Route 63 on the left. The ranger station/dam is another minute or two up the road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (118)
Photos (130)
Recordings (103)
Completed (150)
Anna Paulhamus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

This trail is a little bit unusual. It starts off really nice and it’s beautiful but then it switches to a paved public path around the lake. Some areas are close to the road and there are a lot of people in some areas. Also this trail includes portions that are literally in the water and it’s very difficult to navigate if you don’t swim. I would say that you have to blaze your own trail sometimes since I wasn’t swimming. I can see how it would be very fun if you are going to swim some of it and then walk some of it though. I may come back and do that again sometime. But I wasn’t planning on swimming today and I didn’t read thoroughly that parts of the trail are through the lake and of course the lake is shut down right now. Nobody’s allowed to get into the water because of Covid. Overall it wasn’t for me but it’s not a bad trail. It’pretty pup

View Anna's Recording
Robert DiNicola-Guerrera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
Hiking

The trail outlined on this app is terrible. It brings you up by the rocks at dam, into the woods with unmarked trails and than you’ll find yourself walking through 3ft + weeds to get to the other side where the asphalt starts again. Other than that, easy way to start the day. Not as many buds as I expected. Some noise pollution from Straits Turnpike can be heard but isn’t too bothersome. Seating by the water can be used for meditation. I got here at 7:30am and saw 3 other people walking the the paved strips.

Emily Dore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 24, 2020
HikingOff trail
View Emily's Recording
Taylor Boucher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2020
Hiking

Poorly marked and hard to follow on the map once you hit the dam, had to double back and go through grassy area with barely any trail to get back to the paved area. Dog had fun, but don’t think I’d return, not woodsy enough.

Cathy Carmichael
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 27, 2020
Hiking

Try as I might I still cannot find the portion of this trail that takes you over the dam. Nice hike though. Many birds and wildflowers.

View Cathy's Recording
Kaitlyn Sengphilom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 14, 2020
HikingBugsOff trailOver grownRocky

Nice trail to walk on the pavement, but once you get to the tip you have to cross the dam and there’s no clear cut trail to get back on track. So we had to walk off trail through brush and trees, and the land isn’t very flat. But once you get back on track it’s a paved trail

View Kaitlyn's Recording
Linda Steck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 7, 2020
Hiking

Have walked all trails. On the North Trail saw three white tailed deer. They were beautiful. My dog enjoys the trails very much. Some are a little muddy but not bad.

Caitlyn G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 28, 2020
Hiking

Great hike! Muddy in parts. Good for all ages. Take the blue trail for easy and take red for hard.

Michael L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 28, 2020
Walking

Great walk with lots of options

View Michael's Recording
Michael grandieri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 18, 2020
Hiking

nice hilly trail that's easy to do. links to a few other loops.

K inoa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 15, 2020

not crossings under the dam need to return to the starting point near the beach ....nice hiking area i like the wetlands trail...

George Rivera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 23, 2020
HikingIcySnow

The park is closed so there is not maintained. Too much ice on the road. We need to wait the the snow the melt.

Clara Giroux
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 15, 2020
Hiking

Great trail! It was mostly a gravel/tarmac path around the water, I was only in the woods for a little bit. It’s great for a nice leisurely walk. My 8 year old dog did more than fine on it.

John Gribbin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 15, 2019
HikingBridge outFloodedMuddy

Park is very flooded today, blue trail (wetlands) is flooded at the bridge. Had to double back.

View John's Recording
John Gribbin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 30, 2019
Hiking

Fun, generally flat easy trail. This was my first time out on this one, I ignored the AllTrails suggested trail and followed the blue trail out of the parking lot, followed by circling back on the yellow and then red trail. Definitely would have explored more if it weren’t for sunset, looking forward to coming back soon and checking out some of the other trails I passed today. Lots of wildlife, my dog was enthralled by our many deer and squirrel sightings. Would recommend!

View John's Recording
Cathy Carmichael
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 2, 2019
Hiking

This is my second try. I cannot find the trail that leads over the dam. There are signs for trails but nothing for the hop brook dam trail. I will keep trying though as the area is beautiful.

View Cathy's Recording
Kate Costello
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 11, 2019
HikingBugs

I have no idea how anyone could follow your terrible map. I did my own thing.

Jennie Gilbert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 18, 2019
Hiking

My favorite go to spot only because it’s close to home. Nice workout but not much to see. Clearly marked and no matter which trail you go on it all loops back.

Leonela Rivera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2019
Hiking

Was a great workout this am and saw more of the park than I knew was available for picnicking with grills set up. So happy I downloaded this app

View Leonela's Recording
Elgin Clock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 22, 2019
HikingOff trail

It took a bit of doing to get this hike "Verified Complete" status, as the original trail doesn't exist along the back side of the lake, and/or the person recording this went on a restricted area under the tower near the dam. None-the-less, the hike I took was pretty nice (albeit much longer) and my route took me from the entrance parking lot of the park, all the way down past the lake, up to the Oronoke Road gate, and then back to the meadow / spillway area. I then took the blue trail overlooking the back side of the lake (through the trees) over the paved road on top of the dam, followed Rt. 63 for a bit right before the Middlebury line, and went back down to the lake via the yellow trail. Once along the lake again, I went to the bottom of the dam (down the hill from the admin. building near the dam) and that's when it started pouring out! I ran to the closest picnic pavilion I found where I randomly stumbled upon a party attended by a friend. Small world... After the rain let up a bit, I made my way to one of the park bathrooms, made use of the hand dryer to dry out all my gear, and at least my hands since the rest of my body was soaked, and then I made my way to "West Trail" up along Rt. 63 through the woods. Came out back on the main road in the park, and worked my way back up to the parking lot near the entrance again. All in all, a fun day, but I need to go back and finish taking pictures of the last 25% of the hike & see that last portion again in a non-drenched state.

View Elgin's Recording
Melissa Headrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 2, 2019
Hiking

Trail 5 Wetland to a VERY STEEP North Trail 6. Recommend 5 back and forth for beginners.

View Melissa's Recording
Melissa Headrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2019
Hiking

Meadow Trail (yellow dot) seems pretty steep but short. Did not take West Trail this time. Trail 5, 7 and 6 last time was awesome.

View Melissa's Recording
Edgar Hankel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 12, 2018

The disc golf baskets are a plus

D Keyworth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 23, 2018
Hiking

First time here. Easy walking but no maps anywhere. Noise from the road traffic was bothersome. Be aware of lots of dead trees. Trails are not well marked so we didn't venture too far off the road itself. Might try it again in the spring.