Herrick Trail Preserve via Appalachian Trail Loop

Herrick Trail Preserve via Appalachian Trail Loop is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sherman, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1.25 miles to the Housatonic overlook, 1.6 miles to the Appalachian Trail ("AT"), 2.5 miles to Ned Anderson Bridge This moderately steep hike winds through oak/hemlock woodlands from Evans Hill Road and connects to the Sherman portion of the AT. Along the way, Amys Overlook and the Housatonic overlook provide stunning views of the Housatonic River Valley. The trail crosses several small stream courses and skirts the edge of a large vernal pool. Watch for forest interior birds such as worm-eating warblers and ovenbirds, which nest on the steep rocky slopes along the trail. Turn north on the AT (switchbacks downhill) to reach the Ned Anderson Bridge and Bull's Bridge Road.

This is a LOOP from Bulls Bridge back to Bulls-bridge. Completed the entire hike from bullsbrige - route 55 - then I was totally confused because I had to take a left , walk the route 55 to Evans Hill Road ..... you will see a Herricks Trails Sign .... follow the arrows ...along the way ... you have two looking points , I stopped at the second one " Housatonic look out point , then back tracked continued to follow until I seen a familiar sign,
That I seen on the way up "Herricks 1.0 mile" from there I took a right down the hill , back over 10 mile river bridge and back to Bullsbridge . The hike for me was challenging . Bring a lot of water , I drank about( 6 )12oz
Water that was in my camel Pack . I don't walk much , I am out of shape but I slowly hiked the trail. It took me 5 1/2 hrs . And it rained pretty hard but I brought my poncho . BE PREPARED ! eat a healthy breakfast , wear comfortable hiking shoes/boots . And something other then trail mix (yuk) . Water , poncho , charged cell phone ....If I didn't have this App .... I feel I would have been more confused . Basically start at BullsBridge at the Appalachian Trail , follow white square marks all the way up and all the way down to Route 55 ... take a left follow the road to Evans Hill Road , walk up til you see Herricks trail , Follow that until you see a sign you passed on the way up( Herricks trail 1 mile ⬅️ ) take right , proceed down hill with caution . Follow the white trail marks and soon you will hit the 10 mile river bridge and from there you will know where you are to safely get back to Bulls Bridge . GOOD LUCK AND HIKE SMART AND SAFE .This map helped me out , I'm not sure if I should have taken the left at the sign on the trail , but continued straight and LOOPED around .

Monday, April 18, 2016