Hemlock Hills & Pine Mountain Trail

Hemlock Hills & Pine Mountain Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ridgefield, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pine Mountain Reserve is a 368 acre open space in Ridgefield, Connecticut. The space has many trails, trail heads and also one of Ridgefield's highest points. The trail will extend fourteen miles, from Terre Haute in Bethel, northwesterly to Rogers Park in Danbury, past the Charles Ives Homestead, and then southerly thru Tarrywile Park. It will then continue southwesterly across Route 7 and through Wooster Mountain State Park to the existing trail systems in Ridgefield's Bennetts Pond Park and Pine Mountain Park. The Ives Trail is named in honor of Charles E. Ives. Born in Danbury in 1874, Ives is noted for his original classical compositions, winning the Pulitzer prize in 1947 for his Symphony Number 3. Danbury's Ives has the significant distinction of being Connecticut's state composer.

Wonderful place! I just wish the blazes were better marked. I got lost for 30 minutes, which isn’t long in the scheme of things, but it made me anxious. Eventually, I found my way out.

Did this hike today and it was HOT and HUMID but I still wouldn't consider it a hard hike. Depending on what trail you decide to take it could be anywhere from easy to moderate but even going up to the Pine Mountain View in today's heat and humidity was not difficult. This place has something for everyone and the maps are very informative and in color which helps. We did the yellow to blue to red to Ives to yellow creating our own trail. The best view is at Pine Mountain off the Ives trail. Would go back and explore more again.

Rocky, hilly terrain with nice vistas from the peaks and marshes in the lowlands. Look forward to returning with my dog.

I’d call this more moderate than hard, few scrambles that can be tricky but just be mindful and it’ll be worth the effort. The summit is gorgeous, perfect place to unwind and appreciate nature. Few lakes around with a nice view too.

Family hike. Absolutely beautiful! Challenging for me and my wife (while toting the kids) and we are definitely planning on returning to explore more of the trails!

Nice south east to south west views. Easy to moderate trails

Saturday, August 05, 2017

The Bennett Pond State Park is absolutely gorgeous. Mountain biking is on the harder side as there are many sections that require more technical skills. i don't have them so I ended up walking/carrying my bike in quite a few places. on balance - maybe better to do on foot, at least for me.
The trail itself is very nice. it feels remote in a number of places and even has a nice view at the top. That's something that's somewhat rare in wooded Connecticut. you can even see Long Island Sound from one outlook.
Trail markings are not always clear, though the combination of blazes and GPS worked out just fine.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Nice hike - lovely varied new england type hike with soft leaf underfoot and tall trees with dappled sunlight. A moderate hike with lots of options to make longer or shorter. Beautiful part walks next to Bennett's Pond.

Monday, June 26, 2017

nice hike with a couple view points. not hard at all, at least not like breakneck. to me it's more of a easy to moderate hike. great for taking your dog!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Very challenging yet awesome

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Did 6 miles on the western part today. I really enjoyed the trails. It was a nice chilly day, high around 25. Wind wasn't blowing too bad so it was OK. Saw a bunch of foxes. I'll have to go back another day and do the eastern half.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Great hike lots of variety.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Just beautiful

Monday, September 12, 2016

I wouldn't call this trail anywhere close to hard. It was mostly rolling hills with a few short, steep inclines on the yellow trail. It is rocky so boots are a good idea. As others have noted the blazes are super hard to follow so pay attention and don't be afraid to backtrack to make sure you're on the right path.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Exceptional trail with diverse terrain. A few of the trails were hard to follow, but worth the effort to figure it out.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

This was our first time on this trap and thanks to Alltrails.com for finding these gems. I questioned the "hard" rating at first but the yellow trail has quite a bit of uphill rocks which is great and challenging. We went off blazed trail to the Pine Mountain overlooks and we're glad we did. We will be back!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Amazing.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Excellent trail for a short day hike! There are many challenging sections of this trail with uneven, rocky terrain with steep inclines. Many parts of this trail are not suitable for children.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

I don't do this exact trek; I stuck to Pine Mountain for the loop around the summit. It was super satisfying for a short trek because there were some challenging parts. The lookout is with worth the longer trek if you take it on. Hidden gem in this area.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Did the the half mile trail up to the look out. Amazing view from the look out over 300+ acres of undeveloped land. The trail was very well marked and relatively quite. Definitely more of a difficult trail.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Well delineated

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Took the untrodden trails. Always a great place to go

Friday, January 08, 2016

Great lookout and good location for any one in the Danbury area.

Monday, November 09, 2015

I really enjoyed this trail. You get a nice reqarding view from atop Pine Mountain. There are several beaver lodges in Bennet's Pond and it was fun pointing on the gnawed up trees and stumps along the north shore.

Monday, November 09, 2015

Great trails with some good climbs and the peak overlook is amazing!

Saturday, April 04, 2015

Went with my dog and absolutely had the time of our lives. Got lost a couple times due to trail markings that weren't completely obvious, but all in all loved it here.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Amazing trail!

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Hiked the Ridgefield section from Bennet's Farm Road to Route 7 and back today-just over 9.5 miles. It was lovely, but a little muddy. Saw tons of mallards, some wood ducks, beaver (wow!), and deer. The hike hits a beautiful high point near Pine Mtn. where there are uninterrupted views. It also has lakes, streams, laurels, and some blow-downs from Hurricane Sandy. All in all, a really private and beautiful hike in the middle of a very populated area.