Hanging Hills: West and East Peaks Loop

Hanging Hills: West and East Peaks Loop is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Meriden, Connecticut that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from December until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great morning run

Note: I checked off "Kid-Friendly" because most of the trails are fine for kids but certain steep and rocky sections of the Blue and White trails are only for older kids with some hiking experience.
I did this one in early December with both of my dogs and my mum. We started on the White trail toward West Peak, crossed the pedestrian bridge over 691, continued uphill on White. We took a sharp left onto the Blue trail. Part of the Blue trail was very steep and narrow - I wouldn't recommend this particular trail for small kids, although many of the other trails are fine for kids. After the steep/narrow section it became very rocky - my dogs had a tough time on some of the jagged boulders. Once we were up the summit of the West Peak the view was pretty spectacular - you can see almost all the way around. We explored the different viewpoints from the summit then took the paved road to East Peak and Castle Craig, bypassing another tough section of Blue trail (maybe next time!). After checking out the views from East Peak (also spectacular, although West is a bit higher). we sought out the White trail and took that the whole way back. As you first head down the White trail from Castle Craig it's also very rocky, steep and challenging, but it eventually becomes moderate for most of the way down. I don't recall how long this took because I'm writing about it months later but I believe it was a few hours. I left off one star because there was quite a bit of broken glass on the very steep sections of Blue and White trails. Otherwise a fine hike, amazing views, and a great workout. I definitely want to do this route again in the nicer weather although I'm sure it won't be as quiet as it was in December.

Sunday, June 14, 2015