Green Rectangle Loop Trail is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Branford, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length2.4 miElevation gain173 ftRoute typeLoop
kid friendlyHikingMountain bikingNature tripsSkiingSnowshoeingWalkingBird watchingRunningCaveDog friendlyForestLakeRiverViewsWaterfallWildflowersWildlifeBugsMuddyRockySnow
Description
Waypoints (0)

There are many trails for different levels of activity crossing each other spanning several square miles. Different trails lead you to different terrains including, wooden bridges across streams and marshes, cliffs and caves, and both dense and sparse woodlands. At any time you may see deer, squirrels, chipmunks, birds of all types, frogs, turtles, and lots of bugs.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (74)
Photos (113)
Recordings (71)
Completed (138)
Danny Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 9, 2021
Hiking

Wide trail, some muddy spots where boots are needed. A few down trees on green path but there are alternate routes that are easily accessible. Dog friendly.

View Danny's Recording
Jessica Kegler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 13, 2020
HikingFloodedGreat!

The Trails were not greatly marked but we found our way! The only issue we had were unleashed dogs. One of my dogs is a rescue and he is not good with other dogs, which is why we choose quiet places to hike.

Joven Cabahug
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 29, 2020
Hiking

Some parts are wet. Watch out for those thorny bush for your dog.

View Joven's Recording
Andres Chaves
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 15, 2020
View Andres's Recording
Lorraine Esposito
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 7, 2020
Hiking

Awesome!! Leaves are sneaky ground cover. Watch your step!

Audrey Knight
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2020
Hiking

Poorly marked. Overgrown trails.

View Audrey's Recording
Daniel Trickett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown
View Daniel's Recording
Ashley Adler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 22, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown
View Ashley's Recording
Katie Regan
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOver grown

This trail was very over grown and was easy to get lost. I hike every weekend and I don't think I have been on a trail so awful before yesterday! Had to stay on the map the whole time and still ended up getting lost, expect to do 3-4 miles. Although you can get poison Ivy anywhere since it was so over grown my legs are covered in it (yes I was wearing leggings and sneakers I'm not sure how it got through my pants). I do not recommend this trail to anyone it's not worth it and the views are not as nice as the pictures described. We also saw a chewed up animal next to the waterfall. Super muddy throughout the whole trail and super buggy. If you decide to go good luck!

G Gonz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 8, 2020

this is the quarry trail. lots of muddy spots and very buggy. the hike was pretty easy. nice boulders!

View G's Recording
Alexis R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 9, 2020
HikingMuddy

Pretty trail, but very muddy. I don’t mind mud but I don’t like when I have no choice but to fully submerge my foot in water... pretty well-marked. Overall a nice short hike.

Abby Ruth Terreri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 6, 2020
HikingMuddy

Quite muddy, but these are the trails we love. I imagine that it would be buggy when warmer.

J D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020
Hiking

Great place to visit for a short walk in the woods. Overall, it was very muddy and buggy!...bring bug spray. Other paths available to extend your hike for more distance.

Sarah Mrazik
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 29, 2020
Hiking

This was a beautiful place for the kids and I. I can not wait to go back when everything is grown in. Yes there was muddy patches but its the woods. Get over it!

lisa pavano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 12, 2020
Hiking

So pretty! Lots of beautiful mossy rocks. Some spots are quite muddy and the “bridges” are a little wonky but that doesn’t take away from how pretty it is. I got a lotr vibe in parts. I was there in early spring. I will definitely come back when there is more vegetation.

Patricia Cavanaugh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 27, 2020
HikingFlooded
View Patricia's Recording
Lorraine Esposito
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 5, 2019
HikingMuddy

Green rectangle was not muddy but when this loop changes to green square —- oh my goodness!! My dog was very happy but me, not so much. Fun though. Also, dog poop left center of trail — come on people, be responsible please.

Bryan Bennett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 2, 2019
View Bryan's Recording
Michael Doherty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 26, 2019
BlowdownOver grownRocky

Terribly marked, green trail just fades out, not worth trouble.

Lorraine Esposito
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 26, 2019
Hiking

A beautiful trail! I agree with other reviews, it’s more easy than moderate. When going out the rectangle trail, we looped back the green square. The green square trail is poorly marked. Use your app and you’ll be fine.

Korie Shannon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2018
Hiking

I went during a snowstorm at the beginning of the year it was beautiful!

Liza Alexis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2017
Hiking

This is a nice easy trail we hike often. This is definitely easy as long as the weather is nice and cool. It is well shaded, but on very hot, poor air quality days, it can be a tougher hike for asthmatics like me.

Virginia Warnken
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 19, 2017
Hiking

Absolutely lovely little trail. I took my 10 year old niece and it was perfect for her. I'd definitely rate this as "Easy" rather than "moderate". The only thing is that there are lots of offshoots of this trail that aren't very clearly marked, and it would be easy to get lost. But I followed the map on the app and it was fine.