Green Falls Pond

Green Falls Pond is a 1.7 mile loop trail located near Voluntown, Connecticut that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and canoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

beach

Nice loop around the pond with some rocky areas.

Beautiful trail. I hiked it with 3 kids under 5. I would recommend it for kids 5 and older. There is a nice swimming area. The trail features a lot of climbing... there is a small stream you have to jump over on the rocks. It was not easy with the little ones but we did it!!!! And they loved the waterfall, butterflies. We did run into a huge eastern hognose snake. They are harmless but definitely rattled me. Enjoy it!

Relatively easy hike around the pond. The whole trail is well marked. There is some scrambling over rocks and tree roots, but still pretty easy. We made the hike longer by heading down part of the Narragansett Trail all the way to Dinosaur Caves. It was really pretty and quiet.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Saturday, June 04, 2016

If you look at my track, you will see why I call this trail Green Falls Pond Plus. My Grandson and I turned this 1.7 mile loop into a 9.2 mile hike that took into Rhode Island. The loop around Green Falls Pond is very easy and family friendly. At the south end of the pond is a small waterfall and the runoff from Green Falls Pond. This blue Narragansett Trail is the highlight of the trip around the pond. It takes you about a half mile down to Green Falls Road and then you can backtrack back to the pond and finish circling it. This little stretch is moderate with lots of rocks and ledges to get over and around. It is a beautiful little stretch that is a must see. On the Northeast side of the pond, we headed out on the Blue Narragansett Trail that took us down to Hidden Lake. We took an assortment of different trails that brought us to Yawgoog Pond, a Boy Scout Camp Area. From there we doubled back taking the blue/yellow trail that goes along the border of CT & RI. There were various large rock formations (Dinasaur Caves/Cliffs) that we had to climb over. All the trails we covered today were pretty easy with a touch of (moderate) here and there. National Geographic has a pretty good map of the area trails. It can be found at www.mdc.net/~dbrier/yawgoog/trails. One note of concern was the damage being done by the Gypsy Moth Caterpillars. The trails are littered with pieces of green leaves. If you stop while hiking, you can hear them munching the foliage. Hopefully they won't strip the trees like they did in the late 1970's. It was a fun day capped off with a swim at Green Falls Pond beach area where we started and ended the hike.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Excellent hike. Well marked and beautiful. Will be going back there again!

Saturday, November 21, 2015