Green Circle Trail

Green Circle Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Washington Depot, Connecticut that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Steep Rock Preservation's Green Circle trail (so called because the blaze is a green circle) is a trail that generally follows the banks of the Shepaug River in Washington Depot, CT. The trail begins in a former rail bed, which follows the river for approximately 1.0 mile. The trail then becomes more strenuous and horses are no longer allowed. The trail loops back on itself and returns to its original starting point.

Great clockwise run in the morning of a warm Saturday. A little buggy valley along river was nice and cool. Nice view from the top. Follow the yellow markers. Very well marked. First two miles are on an u traveled dirt road along the river.

It's a nice trail. There is a neat tunnel blasted through the rock out past the end of the loop. Nice with the family, not too hard.

3/31/2018 Great little day trip,dog friendly trail. Lots of great pics. Definitely have to check out the railroad tunnel and suspension bridge.

Gorgeous trail, well marked, reasonably challenging in places. If you're directionally challenged, be sure to bring a printed map and compass, as there is no service and you'll want to explore trail offshoots. The transition at the end of the loop is disorienting! We found this trail relatively free of bugs with one application of spray in the early afternoon, but the yellow trail was intolerable on the way out at 6pm.

I took the yellow trail loop from the W. parking area to Summit Peak, across the river and then back on the E. bank. A nice hike with a moderate climb to the peak rewarded with a great view. Interesting sites with varying terrain made for a nice day

Saturday, August 05, 2017

The trail is very scenic, with lots of nature to look at.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

It was a nice hike. Shorter than I expected. It makes a good proposal spot. If you love her, propose. Don't wait for the right moment. Take it from me. The right moment is yesterday.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

We did some of the yellow dot and some of the green dot. The trails were in excellent condition, even if it did rain the day before, and the hike was very enjoyable. They were also well marked. The green circle trail gets a little narrow by the river, but offers a great flat walk through the pines. The suspension bridge between yellow and green was very neat to walk on.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Beautiful trail! Such a wonderful surprise, had never heard of the park previously.
Completed an almost 4.5mi loop that followed yellow circle, blue square, and green circle trails. Majority of the trail followed the old railroad track so it was mostly wide and flat, soft ground cover. A portion of the green circle was a bit steep, narrow, and required climbing over some rocks, so older folks or those with joint problems may want to avoid that section.
Passed through the railway tunnel, which was even cooler than anticipated, then followed the loop back over the tunnel to the footbridge. Stopped to wade in the river a bit to cool off.
Portions of the yellow circle have some car traffic, and many sections allow horses.
Plenty of folks were out to enjoy the near perfect weather when we were there, but it never felt too crowded, still plenty of moments to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Great trail some light climbing over rocks if you follow the green circle trail. It also has several other trails.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Excellent nice trails. Black bear ran across road as I was nearing parking area traveling away from trails. Horses share some parts of trails. Excellent view from top.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Took the yellow trail! Good little challenge awesome day

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Great hike. Some ice & snow but invigorating. 32 degrees. love this hike in all seasons. we've been hikeing here for 30 yrs. one of our favorate.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Neat neat trail for families and kids a little of everything to keep them entertained. The old railway stone picked tunnel was AWESOME interesting definitely make sure you check that out suspension bridges are always fun and the summit cool too. I really liked the variety of this trail and trail system. Great smell the forest and meander type trail hike.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

I loved this trail! It is very family/dog friendly. Pretty flat but also gradual incline on beds of pine needles! Beautiful. The summit was a bit more rocky and steep but a great view.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Great trails for kids. mostly easy with an adventurous hiking section. great views and areas of interesr

Monday, August 08, 2016

Awesome hike, has a bit if everything, a Summit, suspension bridge, and tunnel! We loved it. Very beaten path lots of dogs even horses! Highly recommended

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

I had a great time with this trail. Lots to see, not too difficult but still got a good deal of exercise.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Great hike, the green circle got a lil rough for the kids when the terrain got a bit tough but we managed. We thought out of the box and crossed the river to pick up the yellow circle/blue square trail to go to the tunnel which is amazing and a great landmark/photo op. (If you stay on the green circle you won't see the tunnel). Stayed on the yellow circle back to the parking lot it was much easier for the kids it's basically a dirt road. Will def be back!

Monday, February 01, 2016

Beautiful easy hike, loved the tunnel and took our shoes off to cross through the river which was a lot of fun and a great way to cool off. Went on the weekend, parking lot was busy but found a parking spot. We saw baby bobcats on the way there!

Monday, August 10, 2015

I just fell in love with this place! I did all of the yellow dot trail, walked the blue square trail to the tunnel and then took the orange square loop. It was a lot of walking but it was beautiful! I will definitely go back.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Did the Green Circle Trail and the Pinney Loop, but completely missed the tunnel. I guess we'll just have to go back!

Monday, August 25, 2014

Nice trail by the river. Lots of people on the weekends. I recommend this for full moon night hikes to the pinnical in the fall after the leaves drop.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Hiking, biking, trail running... Whatever! Beautiful trails with all the amenities!

Friday, May 16, 2014

I have walked part of this trail in the past, but had never stayed on it for its entire length. This trail begins on a railroad bed. That part of the trail is great if you are walking because it is flat and wide. Once it crosses a small foot bridge over a brook feeding the Shepaug River, the trail changes and can be rather treacherous at points only to flatten out again. The loop is something to be careful of. I took the left hand side of the loop, but confess I did not even see where it connected. When I came back, I wound up re-tracing my steps for almost 2/3 of a mile until I recognized that I was treading where I had already tread (the foot bridge across the Shepaug River was the landmark that made me realize my error). Upon returning, I looked for the connection to the other part of the loop. It comes back into the part I was on at an angle making the other part of the trail invisible. Incidentally, this also pointed out an error I made in the same spot when not taking the entire loop a few weeks ago. There are no signs to note that the trail goes both ways and the most visible blaze will push you back into the loop.

As I put in my track of the trail (which also shows my errors), my best advice is to bring a compass. The Green Circle and Steep Rock Loop (Yellow Circle) trails share the same trail for a short period. Once the Green Circle trail splits from the Steep Rock Loop trail, pull out your compass. When you see the river again, you will most likely be facing south. Look behind you for the return trip to the trail head.