Great Hollow Nature Preserve Main Trail Loop

Great Hollow Nature Preserve Main Trail Loop is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near New Fairfield, Connecticut that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Really nice trails around a beautiful nature preserve, with an abundance of streams and waterfalls. I walked the entire loop with the exception of the trail up to Hardscrabble Road. It was just too hot and I didn't have time. Trails are generally well-marked. If you visit, you have to cross over into the Michael Ciaiola Conservation Area on the New York side and see the lovely waterfall. When I was there it was flowing to the point where I could not cross to the other side, so I had to retrace my steps back on the Orange Trail. Probably my favorite local falls because they are not overrun with people.

Wider then average and better maintained then average trails make it easier to minimize exposure to ticks and poison ivy. Curvy and hilly but not steep. A pleasant walk that’s not to long or to short. My dog and I enjoyed it and will be back.

I live 5 minutes away and I absolutely love this place!! Many different options for a hike...trails link up with Michael Ciola Conservation Area as well. Well maintained trails..blazed really well and also numerous spots to sit and enjoy lunch. I will be back for sure!!

Great spot! Check the additional “hardscrabble trail” loop off the purple and white trails.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017