Learn more

Glacial Boulders Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(106)
Case Mountain Park

Glacial Boulders Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glastonbury, Connecticut that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,115 feet Route Type: Loop

The waterfall is spectacular except in dry seasons, with a drop of more than 30 feet.

We went last weekend and did the full loop. it was around 10.5 miles when all said and done. We started on the trail and the first half of the hike was great! very clearly marked, different elevations, and plenty to see. The reason I'm only giving 3 stars is because of the back west side of the trail. BEWARE! There were many trails that intersected that back portion. None were marked well or even at all for that matter. There were no maps along the route to direct you where to go. Luckily we downloaded the satellite maps from All Trails. And thank gosh we did or we wouldn't have gotten out! but even with the All Trails Map it was still incredibly difficult to follow due to overgrown vegetation and like I said before no trail markers.

This is an awesome trail, the weather is probably more 10.5 miles. The second part of the trail is more difficult to follow as the markings are few and crossings are frequent. One of the bridges is taken down but it makes for a nice balancing practice if you’re up for it. I would recommend skipping the hike down the main trail at the 3.6 mile mark - while it’s a good workout it’s also very busy. You save 1.3 miles but as the overall trail is rather 10.5 total that still makes for a long hike.

The rocks and boulders on this trail are fantastic.

Great long hike for a weekend day. Only draw back is the trail is one of the worst marked trails I’ve ever been on-especially the second half.

The trail was ok, but the track is terrible

Great trail, but much harder to follow the mountain biking path when the leaves are all down. Really needed to rely on the app to stay on course. Make sure you have enough battery or download the map

Really lovely hike. We added some extra distance at the top. Instead of doubling back, we looped onto the white and followed that around some. Very dry conditions, but would be really muddy after rain. We saw lots of varied terrain and landscapes.

Wed Sep 27 2017

The first part entering off of Birch Mtn Rd in Glastonbury was very clear, very well marked (it’s the Shenipsit Tr). Ended up on Case Mtn in Manchester. The returning part of the loop was awful. Got lost multiple times (no marked trails), had to use my phone for the majority of the return trip to ensure I was staying on the “path”. Good thing for a fully charged phone battery. If I do it again, I’ll just stick to the Shenipsit.

Sun Aug 06 2017

Boring trail.

Sun Nov 13 2016

Not much to it. Downloaded the map. Started on the blue trailed crossed over to the red "Garnet" trail , which went nowhere. Crossed back to the blue/white trail and again just went nowhere. Went about 4 miles with no views, sites, direction. Should of just went out to the woods behind my house. At least the day was nice.

Sun Oct 30 2016

Beautiful trail

Mon Aug 22 2016

Beautiful, peaceful, pristinely maintained and well-marked trail. At many points, all I could hear was nature sounds, which is all too rare on CT trails. I turned around at the 3-mile mark and walked back through a steady rain. A lovely retreat into nature.

Thu Dec 17 2015

It was super rainy today and cold but I got out there to get a general overallfeel. My GPS showed a lake and sure enough there was and it was wonderful! There were some big rocks along the way to explore which were cool and the trails go on for miles and miles. Definitely pretty and curious to see if I come back on a better day how much more there is out there. Very pretty and would absolutely come back. Thinking next time bring my tent and gear and sleep overnight out here maybe song the shenipset lake I believe it is called. Overall great hike and def coming back here again.

Mon May 25 2015

Great hike with my dogs

Mon Oct 13 2014

Just following up with a link for the trail.