Gillette Castle Trail

Gillette Castle Trail is a 1.9 mile loop trail located near East Haddam, Connecticut that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

easy trail. good views. the castle was closed when we went.

Great view of the river below when the leaves are gone.

Great day!

Cool place

Gillette Castle state park is a nice place to visit and hike. You can tour the Castle home then hike the trails. Well worth seeing the building.
Our hike followed the personnel mini railroad that Gillette built, he was an actor who made big money in the early 1900's.
There are many trails on the property, some go down to the CT river, others follow the old RR bed and others wind around the property.
I always like following the RR bed trail. To each there own.
Oh yes, the views from the Castle are amazing of the CT river and beyond!
Well worth it for this alone. Enjoy.

We came the week before the museum and castle were open for the summer, so I can't speak to those, but the trails were sub par. They mostly just intersect across a small section of woods. There's a good view of the river and the castle is cool on the outside. I wouldn't recommend here for the hiking.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Really easy and had a great view.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Beautiful view, lovely place to go see, but it's not so much of a hike, when you drive up you see the building right away it wasn't as exciting to just see it and walk away

Monday, February 27, 2017

Beautiful area. A bit spooky near the castle. Very enchanting.

Monday, December 19, 2016

Fun little area, trails are easy for kids and newbies.

Friday, December 02, 2016

Fun place to hang out

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Such a fun day!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Short, easy trails that are usually full of people and children. The trails in the woods are not well marked. When I feel like a quick stroll it's nice with some lovely views. But it's not great when my dogs and I have serious energy to burn, or when I don't feel like company.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Easy family hike. Short trails. Trails aren't marked very well and there are several off shoots that aren't marked. Nice views of the CT River from the castle.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Nice, very short hike down to the Connecticut River and back up. Very simple hike. The castle has amazing views of the river

Monday, June 13, 2016

Relaxing, short, easy walk with children.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

SCOURED THE GROUNDS AFTER CASTLE ITSELF WAS CLOSED. SOME NICE TRAILS LEADING DOWN TO THE RIVER

Sunday, May 31, 2015

I love to photograph my clients here. The outdoor settings and structures are beautiful as backgrounds for my clients and their families.

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Nice views but not many trails

Friday, October 24, 2014

Trails are two easy

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Beautiful views of the Connecticut River, nice easy hike for families

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One interesting castle. A lot of history. Castle is closed in the winter, but I came back in the summer. But the grounds are beautiful & the views were good. Serious birds. Nice hiking. Family friendly. Concession on premises.

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Too busy and the trails were really overused. Not much good hiking but the castle is interesting.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I grew up going to Gilette's Castle. Its a beautiful area but the trail is too easy for a hiker, much better for a stroll.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Memories a bit rusty, but I went here last winter for hiking. Various trails as I recall, some great vistas right on the river, at a nice elevation. We watched bald eagles from above, as they fished below us. The castle is incredible in its own right, just been restored. Easy, scenic, though we didn't pursue anything strenuous, and it may exist. Have some pix here.