Connecticut Audubon Society Bafflin Sanctuary

Connecticut Audubon Society Bafflin Sanctuary is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pomfret Center, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 190 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a great series of inter-connecting trails in Pomfret Connecticut that have multiple entrances quiet and parking areas. These trails crisscross through open farmland, and over multiple streams by means of well maintained bridges.

We went on a weekday afternoon and did a couple of the loops (ravine, cheyne link & day brook) to a total of about 2 miles. The meadows are beautiful, bird song abounds, and our 3 year old loved all the butterflies. A quarter mile section of the day brook trail is a bit overgrown but still passable. The rest was well maintained. The woman at the center was very friendly and helpful, offering us a map and suggestions for trails. We recommend long pants and a tick check before getting back in your car. Overall, it was a peaceful, quiet (we only saw one other hiker), and tranquil spot to which we will definitely return.

bridge out

very muddy. hard to cross water at some points.

Nice walk, saw two groups of deer in the fields on our way back. only did a small part of the trails in this area, looking forward to a return.

Could be marked a little better at intersections but a fun area! More trail here than is mapped!

Donated farms together with the airline trail. Easy and scenic.

Mon Aug 20 2018

This was a truly beautiful hike. I started at the Mashamoquet Meadow Trail and first made my way to the Ledge Trail, then went all the way up to the Grassland Bird Conservation area. It was beautiful rolling hills of meadows and fields, with some wetlands and wooded trails mixed in. Outstanding views. Haven't seen anywhere else in CT like it.

Fri Dec 30 2016

This is a VERY EASY trail. I live in the area and walk this fairly regularly when I don't want to drive to hike. Not too much to see, but a decent walk.

Thu Feb 11 2016

I grew up in Pomfret, so I've been hiking in the Bafflin Sanctuary for a long time, and it's got a special place in my heart. Like the nearby Edwin Teale Memorial Sanctuary in Hampton, there are dozens of interesting sights spread over small acreage, including a number of meadows, streams, small ponds, and converted farm fields. As you might expect from an Audubon sanctuary, this is a great place for birding. The trails are well-maintained and not strenuous in the least, although newcomers may find them hard to navigate. There's no colored blaze system, and much of the outdated signage doesn't correlate to places on the map. But it's a small park and you can do a decent job of keeping your bearings by using intersections and bodies of water on the map. One of the most striking features of the Bafflin Sanctuary is the hemlock ravine, a dwindling niche habitat that offers beautiful evergreen trees on a steep-sided ravine flanking Day Brook. Be sure to check it out along with Alfalfa Hill, which offers one of the best views of the sunset anywhere in Pomfret. For my full write-up and recommendations, check out the Unarmed Hunting blog.

Sun Nov 22 2015

I really enjoyed the different sceneries - woods, meadows, cornfields, marshes, streams, brooks, etc., but I didn't like that there were barely any markers and that I didn't know exactly what trail I was on or where I was heading, because they all intertwined so it was hard to stay on a specific trail.

Sun Sep 20 2015

This was a very easy trail and excellent for the novice hiker. The scenery varied from cornfields to woodlands, to grassy meadows, to wetlands. The trails were well worn and interconnecting. This caused some confusion as some of the connecting trails were not noted on the Bafflin Sanctuary Map. The trails were not color coded which added to several confusing moments and extra miles being added to our hike. Thankfully there was an occasional sign which helped us get our bearings. This is an excellent trail for a family hike. It just needs to be tweaked with color coded blazes and an updated map. Stats Photos

Sun Sep 14 2014

You can do this one of two ways: 1. Go in through the "front door," as I did last week, starting at the Center, or 2. Go in through the "back door," that is, parking at the Air Line Trail Access point on Railroad Street in Pomfret, and picking up the northern trails from there, which is what I did today. Whichever way you choose, you are guaranteed a lot of variety: woods, fields, farmland, and streams. The trails are gentle with no serious uphills.