Chapman Pond Loop is a 2.9 mile loop trail located near East Haddam, Connecticut that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 400 feet Route Type: Loop

Completely Beautiful! About 4 miles if you park by the road. Challenging here and there but such a good hike!

very wet. it was mud or a river on the trail. all 4 large water crossings were high. park at the road entrance if you have a regular car. the 1stghird of the road is great the last 2 thirds is more muddy trail. my sedan drove sideways at one point and the bottom dragged for a good 20ft.

Really ashame they had to put painted trail markers every 20 yards including on beautiful moss covered boulders.

Definitely a better trail to take in the autumn when temps are cooler and there are less bugs. The pond is an excellent breeding ground for mosquitoes. If hiking this in the summer I would definitely recommend a mosquito net and covering clothing. Lots of spider webs as well. Although overall peaceful, throughout it I only encountered two other people. Very low-traffic.

This is a very peaceful trail with some rocky patches and some overgrown patches. You have to cross a small river twice which is easy to do if you are agile. We ran out of time and had to double back. From the previous reviews, it appears to be at least a two hour hike.

Sun Apr 08 2018

Hiked this on a sunny 41 degree day. Trail is well marked with blue blazes. Several stream crossings with well-placed stones. I am 67, wife is 66 and we found this to be enjoyable. It's more than just a walk in the woods, but not overly strenuous. Some nice canopies of tall laurel. Road to parking lot is heavily rutted, so we parked on River Road and hiked in the short distance to the trailhead. Lots of trees were down from winter storms but it was obvious that the preserve managers had been there clearing the trail.

Sat Oct 01 2016

This is a very scenic loop. I'm not sure how I would rate the difficulty as although you do start off going downhill to a view of the pond (and often interesting bird life within) most of the last two thirds is all uphill of varying degrees, through some beautiful woodlands. I can push through this in an hour at a fast pace, but if I am being more leisurely, this is typically more like an hour and a half. It is a well marked trail with occasional nature facts posted, but some parts can be swampy or overgrown depending on the season. And unless you have a solid, high riding car, forget about going into the parking lot; its a rutted off roading adventure. Its hard to find from the street.

Mon May 12 2014

I'm not quite sure how to rate this trail. I'm a novice, 50ish, female hiker. It states that its for all types of hikers but I found areas of it difficult. Basically you're going downhill initially towards pond, flat area near pond, then back up hill. My husband who is an outdoorsman, just hit 50, in decent shape was with me. I'm not quite sure I believe the distance on it. It took us 2.5 hours to hike this. We followed a white trail which went from rare markings, to intermittent, to abundant. I totally enjoyed the solitude of the first half of this hike but once we started hitting the 1.5 hour mark I became increasingly concerned about how long it was taking us and how the white markers were hit or miss. At the 2 hour mark even my husband was concerned. But we made it out ok. If I understood the time commitment to this trail, I would have enjoyed it more. There are spots that go past Chapman pond that were very picturesque, streams, stone walls, very very quiet, didn't run across anyone although we saw people on the pond.

recorded Chapman Pond Loop