Castle Craig and West Peak Trail

Castle Craig and West Peak Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Berlin, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The part where you're walking on the road is loud as cars fly past. Trail marker is painted on the ground at the west side of the reservoir. Very easy to miss...as we did. The hike up the mountain itself was nice. Not too strenuous but a good amount of effort needed. Bring water, there's no place to fill up.

Great trail and scenery. However Alltrails.com rated this as easy. If you drive, yeah. But when hiking, NO. it us upper medium, lower hard.
Also the paint markers are great throughout, but disappear when up high, so keep your eyes open. If leaves are falling, you could get lost.
The scenery on the way up, and at the tower, are breath taking. And the almost fantasy like island in the reservoir is great to just to stare at.
Another warning, when in the woods, don't plan on holding anything, you'll need your hands to climb some rocks.
Again, this is not easy!

This trail is NOT easy for novices! We went up the white trail and down the blue trail ... we were determined and we made it! Awesome views up top at the castle and along the cliffs!

The outlined map on this "EASY" hike is far from easy...I took my group up to Castle Craig via white trail and down the blue trail as indicated. It was pretty brutal for beginners, but we did it.
Beautiful views from the top

Absolutely loved this hike, ended up diverging from the main trail and took an unmarked trail up and the marked trail down, beautiful views from the top. Went with a first-time hiker and she found it to be pretty difficult, moderately experienced hikers will find it to be fairly easy, but still a great workout. Highly recommend :)

Almost missed the actual trail head. Walked on the road for a while and eventually had to double back and hop the guard rail to get to the trail. The castle was cool but the best view came before that on the blue trail. Highly recommend.

Watch for wildflowers in early May. Also, the daffodils at Hubbard Park may still be in bloom.

Did this trail with two young kids (7 and 4). They loved it. The castle was a carrot on the end of the stick and kept them going. It was like a little adventure. You can tailor it to their needs and make it shorter or longer. For me it was a nice hike in the woods and a great view up top. Would love to go again in the fall.

This is a great hike and can be as easy or hard as you like it. Hike up the Rocks via the Blue and White trails for a bit more exercise or stick to the road for an easy Family hike. Views from the Castle are awesome and this is a must do hike.

Did this with my two teenage kids. The view was lovely as well as the hike. We all thoroughly enjoyed it

Monday, October 10, 2016

Wonderful hike through the woods, moderate terrain increases. Wonderful hike to the halfway house, and then turn around and head up to Castle Craig. Amazing views!!

Monday, October 10, 2016

gorgeous views especially in autumn! all kinds of trails from well maintained and moderate to risking and fun cliff trails, we loved it all. Also great for a quick trip stop, very easy to drive to the summit/castle.

Friday, September 30, 2016

One area of uphill climbing on rocks but the rest is pretty moderate, love this trail, leads to castle, spectacular views almost all the way

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Quick if you stick to the trails. Amazing view

Monday, August 22, 2016

I loved the view!

Monday, August 08, 2016

Nice

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Great

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Hike to top and back with my wife and my son 16 years old never hike before did 5 miles round trip tired but we made it great for exercise need to bring more water next time

Thursday, July 07, 2016

One of my favorites! My girlfriend and I bring our dogs here often. The trails are pretty wide and such a beautiful view near the tower. There is a reservoir that also has some stunning views and Hubbard park has many events going on like Pet Fairs and daffodil festival

Monday, July 04, 2016

great views. will hike this again.