Castle Craig and East Slope

Castle Craig and East Slope is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Meriden, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

scenic driving

Trail loops from paved entry in Hubbard Park to pavilion overlooking Sleeping Giant. A branch of the white trail climbs eastern face to Castle Craig, then loops back to a foot bridge that crosses over route 691, then finally back into Hubbard Park.

Great hike with a great view!

This is my favorite hike!!!

I did the hike on a warmer December day. The hike starts out fine but it does get quite steep at one point. We made it to the top and beautiful views but ended up walking down the paved path on the way down.

Love it is so nice and relax

Pretty rocky. Nice views. On the upper end of moderate imo

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Started at the park, walked over 691 and followed the white trail for a while, went right up the front and rocky part of the mountain, a bit slippery, watch out for snakes in large rocks. Trails could be marked out better, views are awesome.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

A pleasant hike near the Southington/Meriden Border. Not easy to find the trailhead/start...but once on the trail, fairly well marked. A pleasant moderate sloping trail except for .2 or .3 directly to/from the top where where it is significantly steeper.

Some broken glass among the rocks along the trail... Nice view from the top...

Sunday, May 14, 2017

the place is great and the view is awesome the only thing is the it doesn't have signs to guide you where the trails are. nice place to take fresh air and enjoy of the forest.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Great hiking trail and awesome views from Castle Craig! It was rocky in some areas, but it wasn't too bad. The map was very helpful! Definitely will come back and hike this trail again!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Easy to miss the start of the trail to head up the east slope, which is a bit more engaging of a hike than the paved trail. Light rocky scramble in portions, and can be steep at times. You can see New Haven and the Long Island Sound on clear days from the castle.

Friday, March 10, 2017

We hiked this trail back in October 2016 and I forgot to leave a review. I will say I think we took a different route than the map shown here. It was a bit confusing when we first arrived but we ran into a local hiker that showed us a good starting point, hint: follow the blue arrows painted on rocks and trees and you will eventually make your way up to the castle. Really great views of Meriden and the water. Especially in the fall with the leaves changing colors. We enjoyed this trail, and it's definitely moderate. Would maybe take a hiking stick next time.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Not too hard to hike....

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Amazing views !! We walked up the main road all the way to the castle, and man what a wonderful view. You feel like you are on top of the world ! All the leaves were changing colors so it looked like all the trees were on fire. We took the blue trail down and it followed the bluffs down. absolutely need to see it if you are in the area. Logged us at 5.46 miles.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Saturday, July 30, 2016

my go to trail! good workout and the views from the top are beautiful.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

A challenging trail for novices in spots, with a great reward of beautiful views at the top. There was a very steep section at the beginning where we must have lost the trail, we climbed up roots and loose rock to the ridge, then rejoined.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

We took the Castle Craig trail. It was marked well. Not too difficult and absolute amazing views once at the top.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Loved this trail! It got a bit confusing at times, but thankfully I had this app to show me where I was and how to get there where I wanted to go. Not sure if I would have found my way without it. There are a lot of loose rocks and a steep climb right before the castle, but it just made it even better! Even if the view wasn't as incredible as it is, this hike would be completely worth it. Not to mention all the parking in Hubbard Park was super convenient.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Moderate difficulty, altered between brief difficult periods and scenic easy to mid-range trails. The trails were occasionally tough to follow, but the views were absolutely worth it. From the top of Castle Craig, you can even see Long Island on a clear day!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Excellent. Path is easy to miss - right after you go under the bridges - steep climb at first and right before the tower but worth it and got the heart racing for all (five and seven years old loved it)
The tower was cool with access to the top for great views.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Great trail for all levels of experience.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

An unexpected Connecticut gem. On a clear day offers outstanding view from the top! Cool cliff for photos and the castle is a neat added bonus! you can access this by the white trail or just climb up the access road. we started before the park opened (shhh) and the road was still closed. No bathrooms at trailhead or at the top so make sure to go before. Would definitely return to this close nice view hike!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Nice trail. Really steep & rocky if you go up to the castle from the right side entry. Easier starting left on white trail. Doable for a toddler but get ready to carry them at parts...uphill over rocky terrain.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Hiked on a nice clear day and it payed off. The views are very nice on top of the tower. Trail is steep in parts but nothing an average hiker can't handle with out a couple breaks. Overall an ice walk in the woods.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Good hike. Great view. But be careful for the dogs, there's a lot of broken glass near the top

Saturday, November 01, 2014

Not a Castle! Its a Castle Tower with an awesome view. Be patient while looking for it. Couple of forks in the road causing you to turn around.

Friday, August 22, 2014

Another great hill hike. I have run the road as well in January.

Monday, July 21, 2014

First I was unaware of the road that lead to the Castle but was there to hike....wound around the east peak, lots of steep hill climbing on loose rocks...wasn't terribly hard but wasn't expecting it. End of the day, fully enjoyed the hike. Pics to come if I remember

Friday, May 30, 2014

I considered it a moderate hike. Some random steep inclines and loose rocks heading back down. Nice views at the top. Castle Craig is great and the top of the Eastern Slope is cool too. Nice views of the surrounding towns.