Breakneck Pond Loop Trail

Breakneck Pond Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stafford Springs, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

fly fishing

sea kayaking

beach

I followed this trail almost exact, except I kept to the park maps Blue Blazed Nipmuck Trail instead of breaking off onto the Ridge Trail. There were some hills and rocky parts, and I've been pretty lazy during this summer (too hot!), but I was able to complete the whole trail while carrying my 1-year old on me and a backpack. I also had my dog with me and she LOVED the trail and swimming in the pond. I'm planning on bringing my husband back with me to camp since there are a lot of camping spots along the trail as well. We saw several frogs, toads, birds, mushrooms, flowers, and the southern half of Breakneck Pond was covered in lilies in bloom, thousands of them! The only down side was the bugs, bring bug spray and spray yourself REALLY well EVERYWHERE! I think this has been my favorite hike in CT thus far, I hope to find more like it.

Love the park, love the trails, hate the bugs!

Nice half-day loop. Has a good balance of flat walking and uphill hiking. Well maintained though its easy to windup off the trail and on one of the access roads. Overall a great place to go when you want to stay local.

My favorite place and its in my backyard

Great winter hike!

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Hot but good hike.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Monday, August 08, 2016

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Sunday, June 26, 2016

I started on the Ridge Trail but due to the heat I cut across some four wheeler paths (where the first sign with arrows is) and went down to do the Breakneck Pond loop. Did 7.2 miles total. Definitely a great hike and will do it again when the weather cools down. Sweat, hills and bugs are a bad combination lol