Bluff Head on Totoket Mountain Trail

Bluff Head on Totoket Mountain Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Guilford, Connecticut that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Started from a parking lot on Durham Rd. and jumped right on the blue trail. After we reached the top we crossed over on blue/white to blue/red (lone pine, I think) . Now before I start complaining about the mess we encountered i will say CT had a pretty intense storm a wk before so this could have been a contributing factor.

The initial climb is intense, steep and rocky i suggest having decent shoes. The climb is fairly quick then you’re at the top with a magnificent view. After the peak we continued on the blue trail until we hit the blue/white this trail cuts through to the lone pines trail. The blue/white trail was a mess, it looked like we were walking in a stream. It was extremely rocky, muddy and with all the downed leaves it was slippery. Even with the markers we kept checking this app to be sure this was a legit trail. After getting through that mess we hit the blue/red trail which was much more pleasant. We had to climb over a couple of huge downed trees and a cute bridge. Then it happened. We came to what looked like the end of the trail. There was a brook with absolutely no easy way across. The bridge that used to be there was broken apart on the other side. All we could do was laugh. There was a ginormous tree that had fallen over the brook. I decided to hop on some small rocks and jump up and walk over the tree, my bf found a longer muddier alternate route. Success we made it to the other side. Now we’re walking on a trail on the side of someone’s house. There are 2 barking dogs behind a fence a little cute one and a very large cute one. Again we checked, we were in fact on a trail, so continued to walk. The dogs continued to bark, the little one got out and was now barking at our ankles. I chose to just not give him eye contact and continue to walk. This little guy was after my bf. He would move and the dog would lunge toward him barking. Although I was practically in tears from laughter I was also hoping the big dog didn’t find a way out. After getting through that with no blood loss we continued walking. You uncomfortably walk through people’s back yards before you come to the horse farm. Walk down the dirt road to connect to “trail” again. We passed a group of horses and several free, very friendly dogs. The path was wide and muddy. We continued walking along the pond until we came to the main rd, took a right back to the parking lot. It was not an enjoyable walk since it’s pretty far and it’s a busy road. There may be another trail across the rd to connect you to the parking lot but I had no idea how to get there. I can see why a lot of people say this as a up and back trail not a loop. I say stick to the main blue and you’ll have a great hike!

I cleared a lot of spider webs with my face.

Great views along the ridge. Quick steep climb at first but rewarded quickly at top.

Amazing views challenging hill. Don't miss the old cemetery

First part of trail is very steep. Columbines grappling on impossible ledges right now. There was an assortment of wildlife...you end up on the lone pine trail on the other side of 77.