Bluff Head on Totoket Mountain Trail

Bluff Head on Totoket Mountain Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Guilford, Connecticut that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Started from a parking lot on Durham Rd. and jumped right on the blue trail. After we reached the top we crossed over on blue/white to blue/red (lone pine, I think) . Now before I start complaining about the mess we encountered i will say CT had a pretty intense storm a wk before so this could have been a contributing factor.

The initial climb is intense, steep and rocky i suggest having decent shoes. The climb is fairly quick then you’re at the top with a magnificent view. After the peak we continued on the blue trail until we hit the blue/white this trail cuts through to the lone pines trail. The blue/white trail was a mess, it looked like we were walking in a stream. It was extremely rocky, muddy and with all the downed leaves it was slippery. Even with the markers we kept checking this app to be sure this was a legit trail. After getting through that mess we hit the blue/red trail which was much more pleasant. We had to climb over a couple of huge downed trees and a cute bridge. Then it happened. We came to what looked like the end of the trail. There was a brook with absolutely no easy way across. The bridge that used to be there was broken apart on the other side. All we could do was laugh. There was a ginormous tree that had fallen over the brook. I decided to hop on some small rocks and jump up and walk over the tree, my bf found a longer muddier alternate route. Success we made it to the other side. Now we’re walking on a trail on the side of someone’s house. There are 2 barking dogs behind a fence a little cute one and a very large cute one. Again we checked, we were in fact on a trail, so continued to walk. The dogs continued to bark, the little one got out and was now barking at our ankles. I chose to just not give him eye contact and continue to walk. This little guy was after my bf. He would move and the dog would lunge toward him barking. Although I was practically in tears from laughter I was also hoping the big dog didn’t find a way out. After getting through that with no blood loss we continued walking. You uncomfortably walk through people’s back yards before you come to the horse farm. Walk down the dirt road to connect to “trail” again. We passed a group of horses and several free, very friendly dogs. The path was wide and muddy. We continued walking along the pond until we came to the main rd, took a right back to the parking lot. It was not an enjoyable walk since it’s pretty far and it’s a busy road. There may be another trail across the rd to connect you to the parking lot but I had no idea how to get there. I can see why a lot of people say this as a up and back trail not a loop. I say stick to the main blue and you’ll have a great hike!

I cleared a lot of spider webs with my face.

Great views along the ridge. Quick steep climb at first but rewarded quickly at top.

Amazing views challenging hill. Don't miss the old cemetery

First part of trail is very steep. Columbines grappling on impossible ledges right now. There was an assortment of wildlife...you end up on the lone pine trail on the other side of 77.

Overall the trail had absolutely beautiful views. The reason I'm giving it three stars is the fact that you really have to be careful on this trail especially since some of the trails are badly eroded and right near the edge of the cliff. I understand some people tagged this hike as kid friendly, but I wouldn't recommend it. That being said, we took the blue trail and after the first 10 minutes (which is a fairly steep incline) you'll be overlooking Guilford. There's a few other views but then after that it's mostly wood area. The parking lot is also fairly small, so we had to park off to the side of the road which is very busy. There is a old cemetery at the beginning of the blue orange trail that was neat and if you go further down the blue orange trail there is a beaver damn.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Great workout. Beautiful view from the top

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Great for an early morning hike to watch the sunrise, the view is one of the best for the moderate effort put forth.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Great trail! A little confusing when I came out to the road and I was grateful for the app but otherwise well marked. Wear decent shoes since the terrain varies and get ready to enjoy a variety of different scenes. So much fun!

Thursday, June 09, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this trail. We parked off of Route 77 at the main trail head on the left. The trail goes immediately upwards in a steep climb. No scrambling is required but it will get your heart racing. The path is wide and easy to follow. There were a few traprock vistas, all allowing beautiful views of Guilford, and the MeyerHuber pond below. From the basalt vistas the path dips up and down. We followed the blue blazes until we hit an intersection of white, blue, and blue/red. We took the blue/red trail to the right, which were narrower than the blue blaze trail, here you walk along some old rock walls, over some small paths of water and behind a few local properties. The trail then heads behind a development, and through a nearby farm. There looks to be another parking lot here, but we continued to follow the path to the left, and finally ended up at the main Route 77. We had to walk a about half a mile to the parking lot.

Overall I would definitely recommend this trail. We went during the week and only passed a couple hiking. We heard some people on ATV's but never saw them. The paths were clear, easy to walk on, and the vistas were beautiful looking over the pond, and the green countryside.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

awesome! saw osprey on bluff and our 7 year old LOVED trail.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

After 2 weeks of inactivity, my grandson and I tackled this trail and made it longer and more interesting by combining The Mattabesset and Lone Pine Trail creating a 10 mile loop that begins and ends at Route 77 aka Durham Road. The first quarter mile up the Mattabesset Trail was an incredible workout. The climb was steep and seemed neverending. I couldn't believe we were taking a breather just 500 feet into the hike!! It looked like it was going to be a long 10 miles. The trail crested after a quarter mile and the views made it worth the climb. I have also entered it on my fall hiking schedule for some terrific foliage pics. This trail was a fun trail with many elevation changes and lots of different terrain. We hiked along the Metacomet Ridge which bears warning signs about the dangers of wandering too close to the edge. (Note to hikers with dogs or children) We hiked through valleys, and among the boulders. There were nice forest paths and many small brooks to cross. Mosquitoes were plentiful so bug spray is a necessity if you are to keep your sanity. As advertrised by AllTrails, this is a moderate hiking trail but with several short "Hard" elevation changes. The trails were very well marked with kiosks scattered throughout the hike showing your current position. If you would like a good cardio workout try combining these two trails and make the 10 mile loop. You will be tired but have no regrets. It was an enjoyable hike. I'm looking forward to returning in the fall.

Monday, May 02, 2016

amazingly awesome!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Lovely trail! A fair amount of elevation changes, both up and down, for Connecticut. Some great views, lotsa nice woods. I went a few miles out, then turned around and headed back.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

We just followed the blue blaze straight up and then made a loop by connecting it with the Lone Pine Trail. The immediate climb up from the parking lot is steep, but short. The view's at Bluff's Head were the highlight of the whole loop. A dusting of snow from the night before added a nice touch.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Did a full 10 mile loop from Rt 77 north west on the Mattabesset Trail (New England trail) to the start of the Lone Pine Trail. Took the Lone Pine trail east, across Rt 77 and into Madison where we picked up the Mattabesset Trail and took that back to the trailhead on Rt 77. The start of the hike was steep! We then had great views to Hartford to the north and Long Island and the Sound to the south. This long hike was fairly easy once you got to the top of the bluff and down and across the road. Going back into the woods was up hill with many side trails available in Rockland Preserve. As we got closer to the end of the hike, the terrain became more interesting and difficult with many ups and down over large rock formations. The 10.2 mile hike too 4:41. It was partly sunny and in the upper fifties with two showers and a bit of a breeze.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nice fairly short hike. Starts with a short but steep uphill, then (if you do it right) loops around for about 4 miles total. (This site describes it as an out-and-back, but there is a loop option.) You can see the Hartford skyline (a good 35 miles away) from a rock outcropping at the top. Last time I hiked it, the first part of the trail was badly eroded, but I'm told that the trail has been re-routed since then.