Sleeping Giant Loop Trail

Sleeping Giant Loop Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hamden, Connecticut that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Loved it! We took a combination of trails to get to blue, which was so fun! All trails very well marked, great views from above. Took us about 2 hours.

All about 1st mile. Blue trail starts hard 700 feet almost straight up. It's all pretty moderate from there on and ends easy. 5 or 6 really good look outs. A little crowded right at the beginning but a lot more peaceful once you get past the tower.

This was a fantastic hike. I started at 10:30 am on the Blue trail and climbed up the Giant's head first, took a 20 minute break to have a snack, take pictures and enjoy the view. The way up was steep and rocky with plenty of scrambling. Next I went down the chin (which also had similar challenges) and continued on the Blue trail to the Tower. The Tower was a bit too busy for me and I've been to it several times so I by passed it and found a quiet spot with a great view to break for lunch. After a 30 minute lunch break I continued on the Blue trail for some time. The Blue trail has plenty of ups and downs even after the head, although that one was the most steep. When I got to the Red Square trail it was about 1:30. I took that to the White trail, which was similar in difficulty to the Blue and had several great views. When I reached the Yellow-Green I took that to the Yellow, which brought me back to the parking lot at a little after 3 pm. This entire hike was about 4.5 miles. I brought one of my dogs (90 lbs., agile) who did really well although she balked at a few of the downhill jumps off rocks at first. I found that on some of the steepest, rockiest sections it was safer for both of us to temporarily let her off the leash (although that's against the rules). This was on a spring Sunday, late morning through afternoon, so the Blue trail was quite busy from the head through the tower but after that it was much more peaceful.