Blue/Red Blazed Ragged Mountain Loop

Blue/Red Blazed Ragged Mountain Loop is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Berlin, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This rugged loop features expansive vistas with breathtaking views of the Wassel Reservoir. There are plenty of rocks to sit on and take in the views. Come during the fall to see the leaves changing colors along this popular hiking trail, or come in the winter for snowshoeing. This popular New England hike features lots of steep uphills and partial rock climbing over boulders at some points.

Quite a picturesque hike with plenty of views, but difficult to follow the trail markers, and most of the maps along trail heads are missing.

I did this hike with a friend for the first time and really got an intense workout. Such beautiful views overlooking the reservoir. Some rocky and steep inclines and we ended up a bit lost until we used our handy dandy map offered with this app to guide us back. We hiked a good 3+ hours and felt invigorated.

for the casual hiker it's a bit harder but worth the workout.

Beautiful area and really nice trail. If you walk off the path a bit you can find some great and safe cliff jumping areas, very beautiful views too!

This was my first Solo hike and first hike I have done in about 8 years, it was easy enough for me. The trail was clean and clearly marked. The markers were clear and easy to read as long as you knew what you were looking for (make sure to Google how trail markers work if you are new). The terrain was mostly easy, there were a few parts that you had to climb up or down some rocks but nothing strenuous. it is a bit rocky in some spots but I was fine in a pair of all terrain shoes.

I am a beginner hiker and was recommended this trail by a friend that does it often-he gave me great directions. I wanted to have a bit of a challenge without the anxiety, and this trail was perfect. As long as you have a plan going in and pay attention to the very well marked trail, you will have an awesome experience and feel very accomplished at the end. I took blue/red to blue/yellow to blue/ and picked blue/red back to the opening. Stopped to have lunch on the summit right after I picked up the blue trail. Was still done in about 3 hours.

A favorite nearby, a little longer, trail. So many beautiful views and stops along the ridge. Fun times.
We went Clockwise from Wigwam. A little confusing after the pan handle, I'm calling it the Bermuda triangle. Followed a steep rocky river bed up to Blue Orange back to parking. next time taking the cut through, short cut back.

Very nice :) My sister is not so experienced so it was tough for her to get through all the rocks, but the view was worth it and we took the orange/blue trail after the reservoir to shorten the hike. It was well-marked and the app helped a lot! Bring a lunch, lots of water, and good shoes! 4 hours, with the shortcut.

The views and difficulty level were definitely worth it BUT the trails were not well marked and this made it very difficult. I would highly recommend turning your location on and using this app/the compass feature if you actually want to follow the red/blue trail all the way through. Hike took about 4.5 hours.

I stuck to the blue and blue/red trails. This hike has it all. Some scrambling, streams, views and plenty of rocks. Will definitely be back!

The trail was awesome. The Red/blue trail led us to the blue trail ( Metacomet) and eventually to the summit which had a great view of the reservoir. However, once we came down from the summit, we never saw the Red/ blue trail and proceeded along the blue blazed trail onto Carey road. It was getting dark fast and we had to take the road 3 miles out of our way to get back to the Ragged Mt. Preserve parking area.

Great workout! The blue/red trail around the mountain is challenging even for an avid hiker but the view from the top is definitely worth it! The trail is well-marked most of the time but the marks are sometimes too far apart and it could be easy to get lost; this is true especially around the summit. It's quite rocky; so, make sure you have hiking boots/shoes on for stability. Rock climbing is also part of the menu with some additional dose of jumping over the streams, fallen trees, and steep, rocky downhills. Trekking pole is recommended.

Hiked this on a cold and wet day. Some challenging spots where boots and a good grip are useful. Overall a nice hike for a good workout.

Awesome hike. First of 2018 spring, it’s a tough hike for beginners. A lot of jagged rock on the trail paths wear boots or trails shoes, your feet will get beat up with regular sneakers. It’s challenging enough for more experienced hikers for a short trail for that reason, some great areas/cliffs to climb as well, and on the hike some areas where you are nearly climbing. Great views of reservoir and more. Also cliff jumping area if you dare and need to cool off.

I hiked this trail today, first real day of spring. relatively easy, a little muddy but certainly passable. the views are very good, trails well marked, and a few casual hikers with dogs along the way.

Great Hike

Very wet this time of year so recommend water proof boots great viewpoints and with the AllTrails app you can take on path or wander a bit then find your way. Enjoyed this one.

We did the northern area of the trails. I like it because there’s a few route choices. We also went off trail and found a nice waterfall. It’s easy to go off trail at least in late March this year.

This is definitely a harder trail for those who are just starting out. The trail itself isn’t steep but includes features such as a little bit of rock climbing and rocky grounds that some people might not be used to (as opposed to some trails that are pretty much a dirt pathway). BUT the views on top are amazing. The trails are all very clearly marked (something not all places have). The red/blue trail offers a hike along the mountain’s edge which means not only can you see the water but there are several places along the way that offer great photo opportunities. Definitely worth checking out when you have a good amount of time - the trail itself isn’t too long but it will take several hours to complete

Great trails with a great view awesome Sunday afternoon for the whole family.

Good hike in the snow, might need crampons for some hills ,as it just snowed.Not too difficult .I heard and saw two owls call to each other and meet up ,which was pretty neat.nice hike close to home

it's a good trail and close to my house. the trail is easily navigated and well marked

greet hike red/blue trails are very well marked, the blue trail isn't marked as well but still easy enough to follow. I was pleasantly surprised how clean the peaks were we saw very little trash up there. We took a couple long breaks to enjoy the views and finished the loop in less than 4 hours.

great for the winter a valley turned completely into ice

I hiked here today and it was great! It had snowed last night, so the trail was coated, but it was only moderately slippery in a few spots. The views on this trail are incredible - there are a bunch of overlooks! Definitely recommend this hike.

Great hike, beautiful vistas, decent level of solitude. The southeast portion of the trail is well demarcated but he northwest and northeast portions need some work. The blue-yellow trail which dissects the loop in the middle is well marked but tons of trees are blocking the path but it is easy to get around. The elevation changes are somehow challenging. This is definitely not for beginners except the first portion on the east side of the mountain. Plan for about 3-4 hrs if you are walking the entire loop.

I wouldn't recommend this route for beginners or little kids. Lots of steep uphills and partial rock climbing at some points. Beautiful views, but don't lose track of time esp in the Fall, you don't want to be caught out there when the sun goes down. Not many people on the trail, so you will sometimes feel very alone with nature. if that is what you want great! don't expect a quick 1 hour hike, this is a commitment, at least 2 hours. Also, you will feel it the next day if you are not in hiking shape yourself. Have fun out there and be safe!

Nice hike if you like mountain climbing. Very rugged and a lot of inclines. If you need a workout and a challenge it will definitely give you that. The only negative thing I️ have to say is that they really need to redo the markers on the trees. It was difficult finding them so we found ourself lost a lot and confused on which way to go. Spectacular views at the top.