Bear Rock Trail

Bear Rock Trail is a 1.4 mile loop trail located near Durham, Connecticut that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 147 feet Route Type: Loop

Two dogs off their leashes on a one mile hike. Not good for a 6 year old to have a pit bull charge down the trail at you jump up on you. It had a nice radio locator collar and phone number embroidered. But maybe just keep the dog on leash? Instead of spending so much to find it easier. Think of others.

Always hike this section of trails. Easy to get to and well worth the hike for the view!

Wed Nov 02 2016

The go-to views of Durham, CT. Check out miller's pond nearby.

Sun Sep 22 2013

I parked on Harvey road (very nice area and woodsy, kinda nice to see in CT). Started off going on the trail, just following blue markers on trees. Although the trails are clearly maintained, you really don't know where you are going, there are no signs to bear rock whatsoever. I kept hiking for a ways, just sorta exploring the area until I came onto what must have been Bear rock. It was huge, and had a cave like structure, which really stood out to the surrounding area. There are no scenic viewpoints, it isn't like a summit or anything. However you cross different types of environment and it is a very nice, remote area. I encountered one hiker in my two hour hike. I couldn't even hear a pin drop in some areas of hiking. Lots of wildlife too. I saw some deer run across the trail, and saw tracks of what must have been coyote or fox or something. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more animals. Hunting is permitted so be careful. I got kinda lost at one point, as there weren't any signs or anything. Basically just blue markers on trees the whole way and you had to know the area (which I don't). What I ended up doing was I hiked 3 miles until I came onto a road. I took my GPS out and found the road I was parked on, and just walked along side roads from there until I got to my car as it was getting dark. The trail itself is moderate, pretty easy in sections but a few small climbs. I wandered off the trail sometimes to go exploring, it is a very quiet area so it makes it enjoyable. The hardest part for me was walking on the roads haha, as there was a lot of uphill walking and nothing to keep you interested, just houses and cars. What I recommend is to study the trail online before you go, and have a really thought out plan before you go. Very nice area to walk through if you have some time to kill.

Sat Apr 25 2009

There are many trails at Westwoods. I prefer the Guilford entrances, Sam Hill Road being closest to the Lost Lake. It's a great hike and you'll see Egrets, Cormorants, red tail hawks, and possibly a kingfisher or a frog if you're lucky. Be sure to pick up a map at Bishop's Farm market on Route 1.

Sat Sep 01 2018