Bear Mountain Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salisbury, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

13 minutes ago

Well marked and not very challenging. If you have bad knees, hike the loop counterclockwise (go up Paradise and come down Undermountain)...you’ll avoid a short, but challenging descent near the summit. Nice views at the top.

great view on the top.nice hike

I love this trail. I prefer to take the Paradise trial up since there is a steep rocky section and I find it easier climbing up the rocks if the trail is wet. Due to heavy rainfall many sections of the trial were wet and muddy.

Did this on Sunday, it was a gorgeous day! I brought my 11w old puppy with me and a friend. We started at about 1030 and ended around 3pm. Having the puppy made things a little slower but overall really enjoyed the hike! Tried to take the route preferred by commenters but I believe we ended up taking the opposite direction which means we were butt scooting down some of the rocks because it was so steep! Still a lot of fun though! Made me question how some of the other folks I saw pass us were making it up that way though.
It was pretty trafficked though.

Great hike! Especially during fall in CT. My husband and I hiked yesterday. We took the advice of others here and took a right at the fork to paradise lane trail to do a counterclockwise loop. The trail is easy to follow and accurately rated as medium. The rock ledges before hitting the peak were the hardest part. The view at the top was lovely, and going counterclockwise allowed us to enjoy the views on the way down as well. I tracked 6.35 miles and we finished right around 3 hours including our lunch stop at the peak.

Hi ya'll I did this hike yesterday. I think it is accurately labeled moderate, although I'd imagine if you are a seasoned hiker on trails with incline it might seem easier. The most challenging parts of the hike for me, were the first 20 minutes before it splits, and the half mile up the rock scramble before the summit. However, there was plenty of flatter sections to allow you to catch your breath.
I took the suggestion of doing the loop counterclockwise, and am glad I did. Personally I don't think I would have liked climbing down the rock slabs. They were pretty damp and slippery. Also, because I did it counterclockwise I was able to continue looking out on the view as I made my way down. This hike took me about 3 hours 40 minutes. I definitely took my time going up. Made a few breaks, but was able to come down at a pretty good slip. Enjoy!

I’m not a seasoned hiker and this trail was really easy. It was a bit slippery today and I was lucky to make it before it got too busy. If you’re looking for a lighter traveled path, this one is not for you. Go early to avoid the crowds.

This is the tallest peak in CT, so it should be noted that it is a fairly steep and steady climb the first 2 miles, up up up! it relaxes a bit after that until the last mile, we went left (instead of doing the paradise lane trail) to the summit and clocked it at 7 miles total. Not sure how this site is saying 6, because the paradise lane trail looks longer. The view is stunning and worth it.

I’m an avid hiker so this hike was a piece of cake. I followed this route exactly and it was all very clearly marked. Beautiful views from the top!

Trail turned out to be more challenging than we expected but overall and so far our best hike of the year! On the way back we haven’t met almost no one so it was freaky to feel alone in the woods but we made out alive , well and before the dusk. I wouldn’t recommend bringing small kids, inexperienced pets and elderly, elevation more that 1600 ft and for the most part you just keep going up like on stepmaster. Bring lots of water and be wise with time, you ‘ll be fine

some good challenging uphills, and the view from the top of bear mountain is stunning.

highest point in connecticut! pretty steep near the summit (lots of fun scramble-y boulders to climb), but the views were totally worth it. really beautiful mountain vegetation along the summit area, and all downhill from there. :) we stopped for lunch about 3 miles in; took about 6 hours including a few stops and some lounging/snacking at the top.

made it with two kids -6 and 8 years old, amazing views

Beautiful, well-kempt trail. Slight inclines to keep things interesting. Great vistas. Awesome foliage.

Absolutely great hiking. Nice and easy trail in the beginning and middle then become challenging near the summit if you go from east side of mountain. Definitely great view on the top.

This was my first time doing this hike and I was not disappointed. It's a beautiful hike after the first two miles with 3 lovely viewpoints.

A few points to note:

- I highly recommend doing this hike counterclockwise bearing to the right on the Paradise Lane Trail and following up to the summit. be warned, the rock scramble is extremely long and very steep and, in my opinion, should be conquered going up rather than going down. The rocks were very wet after all the rain we've had and I can't imagine ever going down that scramble without being terrified. And I'd never do it with little kids. However, I found it exciting and exhilarating trying to figure out how to manuver it. What a rush when we made it to the top!

- There was a section where we had to cross a river that was slightly rapid after all the rain. I found it rather exciting but it could be tricky if you're not prepared for something like that.

- Wear hiking boots! Mud and large puddles were everywhere!

I'd definitely do this hike again, repeating the counter clockwise trek. We clocked it at 6.6 miles.

Great hike with my daughter. Excellent views and lots of nature. On our way down, 100 meters off the trail we saw a large man like animal eating berries from a Bush. It wasn't until later that we realized we had seen big foot. Great hike.

Turned right towards Paradise lane, came up the back, a little longer and harder, first time out hope to return soon.

Did this going from lions head to bear mountain in December. Light snow, a bit icy and windy but definitely worth the view for a CT hike. My dog and I were able to take our time and enjoy the view. Took about 5 hours all around including stops

Trail was in great shape. Beautiful views from the top.

tough for an amateur like me
but I DID IT!!!!

One of the best hikes I've done. Very difficult at some points but it's balanced with easy spots. Great view.

I tried Bear Mountain Trail as an introduction to hiking in CT. I am only moderately fit and only had tennis shoes to wear. The people were so friendly, and both of my 15-20 LB dogs were able to complete the trek. The views were spectacular and there were plenty of logical spots to stop and rest/refuel as needed. We also had cell reception for the bulk of the hike. Parking was the only challenge and you have to take a dirt road to get to where we parked.

I have done this hike multiple times. If you want to do some light rock scrambling to the summit, bear to the right just after the trail marker for the campsite.

enjoyed this trail very much. steady climb on the blue to the AT, then gentle rise to the summit.

Great loop. Nice trails and view at the top. Went south-north in early April and the north side from the summit down to Sage's Ravine/Paradise Lane is basically just a sheet of ice-- definitely wouldn't go without crampons and maybe some trekking poles for balance. Looks like it'll get worse with melting/refreezing until it finally warms up. Also keep an eye out on Paradise Lane-- the blazes are pretty far apart and there's a section of the trail where fallen tree limbs/overgrowth have pretty much completely obscured the trail. Took about 3 hours total.

Great medium effort hike. Nice views. I would not recommend going down the north side without crampons until end of winter. It is an ice fall now.

Great trail, well marked. My wife and I are from the Jersey Shore and the thinner air did take a small toll on us. Beautiful sights and great hike after driving 3 hours to get there. Should have stretched a little more.

We did this on December 28, 2016 in lots of snow and with a high of 7 degrees! It was an awesome loop, definitely felt sub zero on the summit with the winds.

This was a solid hike that had a little bit of everything. The first 1/4 of the hike was challenging and really got you going. From that point, it was a beautiful and gradual ascent to the summit with a spectacular view. Don’t take this one lightly as it is time consuming and somewhat strenuous at points. Definitely worth a solid half day of your time!