Bear Mountain Trail

Bear Mountain Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salisbury, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This was a solid hike that had a little bit of everything. The first 1/4 of the hike was challenging and really got you going. From that point, it was a beautiful and gradual ascent to the summit with a spectacular view. Don’t take this one lightly as it is time consuming and somewhat strenuous at points. Definitely worth a solid half day of your time!

very nice hike with pretty views. some rather steep sections and a decent amount of ice on some of the rocks making it more challenging. lots of other hikes that can also be done there. love the conifer trees near the summit

Beautiful trail, well marked some difficult rocky areas

We only did part of the loop (time restriction). It was very steep to start, but the last .75 mile or so the grade decreased (still decidedly up though). The last section was very rocky. The views were nice from the top too.

A very nice moderate difficulty trail. I did the undermountain trail up to the Bear Mountain summit and back the way I came due to time constraints. Lots of rocks so I do not recommend it for a trail run or biking.
I would only bring adventurous kids 10/12 and up. Also highly recommended for chipmunk enthusiasts. 10/10 chipmunks.

Challenging on the way down but beautiful.

This hike would have been better going clockwise. Going up the steep section would have been a fun ascent versus a sketchy down climb.

We took our 3 month to the summit and did the 6 mile loop. Went during the week and only ran in to one other person. Great hike!

Bear Mountain was our last piece of the A.T. in CT. hubby was nursing a foot injury so we went North-South, summitting Bear Mtn. early and had a great hike with lots of great views.

Very pleasant and enjoyable hike. Personally I highly recommend taking the Paradise Lane trail North and approaching Bear Mountain from the north side on the back end of the loop. There is an excellent rock scramble at this point which leads to a monument and a nice panoramic view to the east. Recommend hiking early almost nobody at the top.

very good hiking trail. north side is much teepee and the south side is more of an easy way down...south side does take longer though.

Loved this loop today! Parking lot was easy to find for the Undermountain Trail. Took the Undermountain to the AT and headed north to summit. Great trail maintenance made for an easy ascent. The AT north down was steep and rocky, but not too difficult. Took the Paradise Lane Trail back to Undermountain and back to parking lot. Clocked just under 7 miles in three hours. Fantastic moderate hike with lots of interesting trail. Views at the summit were good.

Fun moderate hike, perfect for a Sunday afternoon.

Awesome trails... It can kick your but if you're not ready. Loved every minute of it!

Great hike! I took paradise first, which was defiantly the way to go. Most of the trail is not difficult except for the the scramble towards the peak, which was a lot of fun. Took me about 3 hours to do the full loop. Awesome view from the top.

Always a favorite hike for me to bring the kids on and introduce them to nature. Bring some treats incase you happen to run into some thru hikers doing the whole AT

Did the loop--I recommend hitting paradise trail 1st (beautiful wooded trail) and ascend Bear Mt from the north-steep scramble-going up better than down. Added bonus is when descending south side there are great views. Very crowded on top. Overall trail is in great shape and with the exception of steep north side the grade is mild to moderate.

Fantastic hike.

Fun day hike that I did with my lab. A few rock faces that you need to scramble, but my dog was just fine. The loop took us 5 hours total but we probably took 1.5 hours worth of breaks (the top has amazing views plus we went off to the ravine on the way down so the dogs could play in the water).