Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Bear Mountain Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Salisbury, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, rock climbing, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,676 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Great trail! No mud as of 5/25. We started hiking at 3pm, and it wasn’t crowded. The scramble is very doable

Go early. i had the trail to myself over bear MTN, spent half an hour on 2md breakfast at the top. alone over frissell. I finally saw another hiker on Brace when I stopped for brunch. coming back over frissell heard something big in the woods nearby, a hiker coming toward said I missed a large black bear by 10 seconds. it was walking down the trail until he scared it. after that I spent more time off the trail waiting for people to pass than hiking.

One of the most beautiful hikes in NW CT. Go early!

Very enjoyable loop trail. For this walker, this trail was more than a moderate rating. The northside is steep so be prepared or do an up and back on the southside. Enjoy.

I love this trail- it’s pretty easy but the views are gorgeous! It is muddy so come prepared and it gets busy on the weekends

MUD is a thing. The trails were streaming at some parts. Still a pretty hike.

It was a nice trail with a very rewarding view at the top. Would recommend if your looking for a fun not too hard hike.

Started early and has the peak to ourselves. A beautiful Mother’s Day hike

Went up the Paradise Lane side which was so gorgeous. Looped around Bear mountain trail and ended up not being able to continue about 2/3 way in. For the life of me couldn't find where the trail continued. So I went back the way I came but it was still a great hike. Definitely some climbing at the scramble to the top but the view is one of the best I've seen on a hike.

Awesome! Brought my kids-little-they did a great job, too!

It’s a fun loop to mix in some trail running! I started in the late afternoon and came across very few people which was nice. Note: if you’re trying to decide whether you want to see the sunrise or sunset on the summit, definitely go for sunrise!

Parked at the Appalachian trail head parking lot on the side of route 41. Trail was a gradual, fairly steep uphill climb the whole way. The first view you come across at the top looks out to the left, keep going for a better view that looks out to the right. Hike was about 6miles out and back.

beautiful views. the only tough climb was on the back side of bear mtn. steep scramble.

flooded

This trail was heavily trafficked on Sunday, 50 cars on the street. We traversed it CCW as I was concerned about the treacherous rock face just below the summit. 4 in of snow was melting and made for trail streams. Chuckled at the sneaker crowd. Great views. Too crowded on the weekends. Folks were respecting spatial distancing. Some were out of control! Lol. Very rocky, rooted. Note: orange peels are considered trash, take out what you bring in. We are not AT hikers, this trail took 4.5 hours and was closer to 9 miles.

Toughest blue so far. Lots of bugs and water on narrow trail and some steep climbs. Beautiful lookout.

Lots of fun! Still a little snow on the trail. We hiked counter clockwise and it really does make the ascent to the summit more epic! Then easy going down. Trails were very well marked, but we still checked the map every so often. We brought a doggo and had to help her scramble up the rocks leading to the summit (would have been MUCH harder going down those rocks with the dog). Took us about 5 hours, including a detour to sages ravine which is beautiful and well worth the extra mile. We started the hike at 6am, parking lot was empty. By the time we were leaving at 11, the lot was completely full with cars parking on the road. I would highly recommend starting early so you have the trail and summit to yourself. Would definitely consider coming back for other seasons.