Barn Island Wildlife Management Area Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pawcatuck, Connecticut that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

it was different with both the woods n the marsh,if u go there this wknd 9/15 do not where your deer outfit because bow season starts, I didn't like the gun shots either(squirrel hunters)

Beautiful area. The main trails are more like old country roads, and very easy to walk. They begin with incredible views of the marsh, and head into the woods. Once in the woods, there are lots of little side trails that all loop back to the main trail. These are not well marked if you’re looking for blazes, but the trails themselves are very obvious for the most part. Like the other reviews say, the mosquitoes are terrible. I had on bug spray, and still got eaten alive. I paused for a sip of water, and had a swarm on me. I couldn’t even count them. Will try again when it’s cooler.

It began as beautiful walk through the marsh and forest. Back and forth. Then...all woods. Lots of long grass. Bugs. All the bugs. The loop wasn’t clearly marked- thankfully we had all trails to help! Probably wouldn’t go again. Or maybe in the fall?

So many beautiful birds, it is marsh lands so be prepared for the wetness and bugs.

Beautiful marsh and water views, great birding and nice mostly flat trails. The only downside is the volume of ticks, there are more here than anywhere else in the state we've hiked.

Great walk until shotguns started popping 20 ft away next to us on the trail by parking lot, shot guns being fired in direct line with parking area. apparently quail season is upon us. I do not intent my review as a complaint to stop hunting but would liked to have been better informed of the open season at the head of the trails right at parking lot or here on website to better inform myself. Walking along trails with excited hunters quickly aiming at prey that fly up from the ground do not mix well.

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Great trail, nice views and no mosquitos on November 4th!

Saturday, September 23, 2017

pretty but not too long. I rode horses there and it was pretty good although some low branches in the wooded area.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Local trail with some great bird watching but going in the summer presents one major issue - mosquitos. Applied continuously on this short hike and they didn't care. Usually do this hike in the spring and it is much more enjoyable then.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Beautiful but very buggy. Had to cut the walk short. Will be back in the fall.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Beautiful hike but be ready for some serious mosquitos! Will return only after the first frost.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Has amazing views but majority of the hike is in high grass. If you wanna go for the view just do 20 minutes of it

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

An absolutely gorgeous place to walk and bird but I have never seen such a concentration of wood ticks anywhere. We probably picked 50 off of our small dog and a few off of ourselves. If it weren't for these critters, I would rate as 5 stars and return many times. Cool cemetery and interesting history (farmsite that helped 18th-century slave win his freedom, as well as a bombing target range in the 1940s).

Friday, May 12, 2017

Beautiful easy walk through the trees and then by the salt marshes with the Ospreys and Egrets

Friday, April 28, 2017

Great to do with your kids!!!! My 7 year old son loved it!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

One of my favorite places in CT. The trails are great for running and hiking, great scenery and great spot to bring the dog. You can run anywhere from 3 to 7 miles dependent on which trails you take.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Nice 3 mile loop plus some side trails. Variety of terrain including salt marsh (elevated dirt road so dry even at high tide) upland marsh and forest. Mixed use including equestrian and dog friendly.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Visiting Westerly from CA, my wife and I ran this trail on 5/26/16. We entered at the trailhead just above the boat launch and ran the loop in a clockwise direction. Enjoyed the scenery. Trail is good, with enough gentle elevation change, twists and turns, and varied surfaces to keep it interesting. Rocky in spots but still runnable, wet in spots. We are not fast runners and completed the loop in about 40 minutes, so it's not 5+ miles. It's more like 3+ miles.

Monday, April 04, 2016

Lucky to have this trail so close to home. You won't see much elevation but the scenery is nice. It's an easy loop.

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Nice little hike. Wouldnt really rate it as moderate, great place to even go on a hike with young children. Did this one back in early April of 2015. Set my hammock up down by the boat launch between two of the piers and had a nice relaxing lunch.
Great place to bird watch as i ran into many people who were solely there to enjoy the sights of the featehred companions.
Really funny driving in as one of the houses is customized to look like a castle with a full suit of armor in view from one of the windows and gargoyles all around it.

Monday, July 27, 2015

This is a really nice trail. Lots of wildflowers and wild life. Beautiful views of marsh and sound areas. The trail mostly follows an old road through the marsh. It is higher than the marsh and dry.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

not much to see, very quiet. Lots of bugs.

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Beautiful place to run or walk. We like to take the dogs with us and the woke family gets fresh air.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Just really beautiful.... Great Blue Herron..Horned Owl nesting in an Osprey nest... Really pleasant trail.. Eventually leads to a historic graveyard (if you look hard enough)

Monday, December 29, 2014

One of my favorite places to go hiking, birding, or sightseeing. The marshes are extraordinary to look at and the trail is relatively flat. I enjoy using my GoPro camera in the water along the trail and for shots of the landscape. I recommend this trail for anyone; from beginners to experts.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fun trails. Very scenic. I read others saying it wasn't well marked but I thought it looked pretty obvious which way to go as it was clearly blazed about 6 feet wide. I ride my horse while my husband bikes and this trail was great for that. Small hills and some rockiness, but not extreme by any means. The mixture of marsh and firestland was unique and very beutiful on a sunny summer day.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

In all fairness to the trail, I was only able to complete about 50% of the trail. The salt marshes and woodlands were scenic enough but I spent more time trying to figure out the maze of crisscrossing trails.
None of the trails are blazed so you are always guessing . The trail as depicted on the All Trails Map is outdated. The trail no longer loops around from the southeast corner and connects to the Northeast corner. It dead ends instead leaving you to backtrack. I've enclosed a pic of an updated map taken on the trail. The trail as marked as moderate but there is nothing moderate about it. It is easy and easier. It is a great starter trail for hikers young and old. No cardio workout on this one.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

beautiful views of hardwoods, salt marshes and ocean. very easy terrain with plenty of space on large trails.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Awesome hike. So pretty. Dog friendly :)

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Very nice mix of landscapes. Trails run from water to hills and there is quite a bit of ground to cover.