Aspetuck Valley Trail

Aspetuck Valley Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Easton, Connecticut that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 541 feet Route Type: Point to Point

historic site

The Aspetuck Trail connects the trail system east of the Saugatuck reservoir to the Collis P. Huntington State Parck in the north. It is a point-to-point trail crossing several roads where you can park. Parts of the trail follows a forest road and is easy to walk on. The trail is marked with light blue blazes.

This was a very interesting and satisfying run on a chilly November morning. The trail offers a nice combination of single track with decent climbs, flat and wide dirt roadways, and a few short stretches of actual paved road. While the road sections might bother some, I thought they were a welcomed break for my ankles and a chance to pick up my pace to vary the training. There is a lot to see. The views are nice. There is one particular flat open area about half a mile north of the Rock House rd. parking lot (where I began) where the single track first meets and old, unpaved section of Poverty Hollow rd. which is now completely closed to vehicle traffic. This was a nice idyllic section with views of the open river valley, and also a place where I encountered several people walking their dogs. These were the only people I saw during the whole 10 mile run. North of that there is a very interesting house alongside one short stretch of paved roadway. The owners have chained probably a thousand yellow Tonka toy trucks around a telephone pole. The houses in this area are interesting and cute, old and charming and there is a certain peaceful, lazy vibe to the whole area. Then, more single track trail to the north and a relatively nice climb too. The next crossing is a very old, abandoned, and overgrown "Towns End Road." I really, really wanted to bail from the single track just to explore the remnants of that road in each direction but I pressed on until Huntington State Park a little further north. The run north was largely uphill and I welcomed the run back to my car at Rock House. It was significantly easier (and faster). Overall, the vibe of this trail fit a cloudy November morning perfectly.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Very quiet trail in mid January. Delightful ice figures along the frozen Aspetuck and it's small tributaries. Seems almost magical in places. We hiked from the Saugatuck junction north to Huntington State Park, then across the park to the northern parking lot where we left a car. Our GPS showed a total of 8.4 miles and just over a thousand feet of vertical gain. Most of the hiking was easy with some slightly steeper climbs at the end. We head a little confusion crossing roads when continuing trail markers were not visible from the road.

Saturday, July 07, 2018