Yankee Hill Road

Yankee Hill Road is a 15.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for off road driving. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Fun trail but too many dirt bikes and ATVs for off road driving.

off road driving

Tons of small trails in that area. Fairly easy to get though and it’s a ton of fun.

My friends live close by. We take our jeep here all the time. A fun 4x4 trail

This was a difficult trail, definitely a 4WD required road. We camped 1/2 way in an open field with great views. Finished to the top the next day. Great views of St Marys and the whole range. Will return. I would avoid sections of Miners Gulch Road unless you have a large Jeep crawler.

off road driving

Great trail for a stock Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Challenging enough to keep it fun, and breathtaking with it's beauty. The wildflowers were gorgeous, and the Columbines were in full bloom. I will need to go back to explore all the different trails!

off road driving

indeed very easy to get lost but super fun none the less. went in a stock 99 pathfinder and kept up with the wranglers almost no problem. went done the hill pretty good, wife chickened out when we tried to go up but that's ok we still had a blast!

off road driving

Relatively easy trail. Very easy to get lost. As other review stated, just follow 175.1 to almost the top, and you should be good to go. Very dry and dusty.

Most obstacles can be passed if you do not feel comfortable with the trail. But it does take some planning to find those bypasses if needed.

off road driving

Great trail with excellent views of St Mary’s Glacier in the beginning. Very easy to get lost on, so pay attention. Easy going road for a high clearance vehicle or ATVs/UTVs/dirt bike/dual sport bike. Overall had a great time! The route we took was open the entire way- following route 175.1.

off road driving

First time off roading. I drive an FJ cruiser with a front bumper winch, a lift, and 33 inch tires. I made it through the trail no problem. I did have to use 4 wheel drive and my lockers a few times but I imagine that boils down to skill. Amazing views and well posted paths. Everybody was friendly.

off road driving

Took a couple of dual sport bikes to the top. Amazing view of Saint Mary’s glacier when you get there. The trail starts off smooth and flowing well, it gets more technical as you go and gets pretty difficult. The challenge is well worth the view at the top. Barely any snow left and every trail is good. Watch out for moose!

off road driving

Trail was in great condition.. Puddles, snow, mud and amazing views. Newer to trail riding and thought this was a medium rating. Vehicle is a 2018 cam am maverick x3 max RS.

off road driving

Great trail. Plenty of choices for route difficulty. Rocky, snowy, and muddy. Recommend over sized tires and armor. I contacted my rock sliders and skid plate.

off road driving

About 12 of us in Jeeps(mostly Cherokees and JKs) did the entire trail. Super fun at the top! 285 KO2s did great in all the terrains...rocks, snow, and mud! 2011 JK 2.5” lift

Yankee Hill offers amazing views but gets a fair amount of traffic. If you trailer your vehicle(s) note that there is now a staging area that they enforce everyone to use. Expect mostly moderately easy terrain with plenty of places to up the difficulty as you desire. We generally visit on our dirt motorcycles but there are plenty of atv, utv, and off road vehicles of all types. Following the suggested route is fine but if you venture off most of the trails eventually end up at the same location.

off road driving

Traveled 4/24/18. Giant puddles a plenty. TRD 4Runner Off Road stock with KO2’s. Fun easy trip near denver to hold you over till the higher elevation trails open up this summer

off road driving

Went up on 3/18/18 right before it snowed. Trail was a ton of fun. I have a stock 2017 Forester XT, only thing done so far is new AT tires (KO2s). I didn’t bottom at all. Some steep rocky spots. Car handled it no problem. Was snow on the trail and I got off the trail before a snow storm came. Later found out a bunch of vehicles had to be rescued. I’m posting a YouTube video of my ride up.

Went a few weekends in a row now. Weekend of 3/10 was dry with ice in the shade. No issues. Easy trail.
Weekend of 3/11: blizzard. 2ft or more of fresh snow while we were on the trail, large drifts towards the top. Lots of fun!
2011 Tacoma single cab 3.5” lift
18psi 285/75r16 mudstar radials
No lockers
No sway bars.
No issues with this trail.

off road driving

In the summer difficulty 3.5/10. Winter 7/10. Trail does not shut down, and there are enough trails that connect to keep you busy as long as you want. The back side drops down st. Mary’s glacier.

off road driving

I've hit this trail every week for the past month and it never gets old. Varying snow amounts make or break each trip and today was the day I'd been waiting for....THE SNOW IS MELTING. Tons of mud puddles to hit and there's no serious snow until you get up past the second shooting range clearing. Another wheeler was stuck on the path so that's as far as I got today. This trail is perfect for seeing what you're comfortable with. Plenty of modest alternative routes to the more intense lines and just enough sketchy to get the blood flowing. My stock '15 Wrangler does just fine on this trail. If you see a tank green 4 door on the trail, stop and say what's up!

off road driving

My ‘07 Grand Cherokee worked this trail just fine. Some steep rocky slopes were difficult to maneuver with the ice/snow, but after a couple tries I was able to get passed them.

Un lugar hermoso para disfrutar de la energía de las montañas

Great area for Off-roading good spot for kids ATVs UTV s

off road driving

Had a lot of fun, some snow but never any issues, just added some fun to a fairly easy trail.

off road driving

Very cool trail with the right difficulty of obstacles. amazing 360º views at the top. yankee hill itself is a fun steep loose rock climb but no one had any problems. if you'd like to see a video of the run i have one up at:

07 ranger manual

no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

off road driving

Took the family off roading in the Stock 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Had 1 section that was really washed out and another Jeep and I turned around to avoid some large boulders. There was a cut through road I believe it was 173.1, but it's not marked on the app. Check my driving log. It was much easier and came out just on the other side of the washed out area with large boulders.

The trail up to Yankee Hill was much more compact today, and we easily made it all the way up.

Snapped a few pictures, threw a few snowballs, headed out the backside of the trails to call it a day. 10/10

on of my favorite places

Sunday, August 13, 2017

This was my first time on this trail, as well as the first time out with my lifted Jeep Wrangler. Most of the trail was easy but there are some very deep water holes that an average vehicle may have trouble with. The toughest section was near the end, or near the start, depending on where you enter the trail. With my sway bar disconnects, 3" lift and 35's, it was fine but again, a stock vehicle would have some issues. Specially if you had to climb this section.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Great time, definitely couldn't do it in a stock jeep though. Some really rocky sections which would have been really challenging without good tires at least. We had to use a winch to get unstuck in one section because the YJ in the group got a bit ambitious with their route choice. Lots of cool forest roads to choose from up there, and neither of the jeeps got damaged so all in all a great trip