Woodland Trail to Skyscraper Reservoir

Woodland Trail to Skyscraper Reservoir is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,263 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Eldora: Travel west to the Hessie Townsite on CR #130

Hike was very rocky in places. Also very steep for about 3/4 of a mile from near the flat meadow until you got near the muddy area. I think it works better in sun as the lake is partly in trees. Skyscraper lake is a reservoir and had some water drained when I got there; think it looks better earlier in year. Still some colorful flowers by Skyscraper. Not many people there on a weekday. Came across 3 moose pretty close (too close?) and avoided any charges. The trail from the flat meadows to the lake isn't very nice until you get closer to the lake (or see fall foliage; none there yet on this trail). I took the Devil Thumb cut-off trail out. I love the meadow there and the aspen were changing color (on the early side of changing despite the very late date.) The lakes are okay. It took me around 5+ hours RT to Skyscraper but I didn't rest too much.

Hiked to Woodland Lake today. Very windy. 11.1 mi and 2008’ gain. We parked near the fork in the road at Hessie and 4 th of July turnoff. Some fall color and still some wildflowers. Signs of moose. Beautiful place.

Loved this trail. Left from Hessie Trailhead and took Devil's Thumb on the way up, but this mapped trail on the way back down. Had Woodland Lake and Skyscraper Reservoir all to ourselves. Fairly challenging, and took ~7.5 hours round trip with a few rest stops and some time hanging out up at the top.

bridge out

I had a awesome time on this trail.

We did this gorgeous hike on 07/21 Not crowded at all, lots of flowers and awesome views,we did around 12 miles from the parking lot out and back. some snow patches but nothing to worry. a good workout totally worth it

Completed the trail all the way to Skyscraper Reservoir on July 4th. It’s beautiful up at the top lake, just be ready to get your feet wet! Seriously, the last mile and a half before woodland lake is a mess, I ended up following my gps because the trail was completely flooded and I got off it at some point. You’ll also want to have microspikes and poles, those were extremely helpful for me. The bridge that someone said was out is still there and is passable, it’s just broken.

bridge out

A large pedestrian bridge was taken out by raging snowmelt while we were at Woodland lake. We were able to cross the remnants of the bridge on the way back but it's surely gone now and even then was extremely dangerous. Also still a ton of snow further out and spikes were necessary.

Great hike! Still snowed in starting at around 10,200 (that is a guess. I'm not sure of the exact elevation of snow pack but somewhere close to that). There is a section of the trail that is completely under water starting at around 2 miles. There is a trail off of the main trail that will take you around the water ... this little spur is shown on the map if you download the trail map from alltrails. Hiking through the snowpack is "doable" but better to start earlier in the day while the snow is still hard. When it's soft later in the day, post-holing is an issue. Having a dowloaded trail map will be very helpful especially when you get to the snowpack as the trail is buried and not obvious. I hiked this on 6/30. At that time the bridges where all still in place, although one bridge was looking like it wasn't going to last much longer.

Hiked 12/8 but didn't have it in me to make it to the lake. Snow was untouched with no tracks at all once you get halfway up the Devil's Thumb Trail. Had to follow the tree line and assume the trail was under you. Fluffy snow that you sink in at least 6" with every step, poles did not help, snowshoes a must. No spectacular views until you get to the lake I assume. Very peaceful and quiet. Didn't see a single person from the Devil's thumb turnoff heading to the lake. Got a bit turned around in the beginning following others tracks and looking at the abandon Miner's Cabins.

Mon Dec 03 2018

Hiked on 11/2/18 I usually love this trail, but after the turn off for Lost Lake, you’re SOL if you don’t have snowshoes or cross country skis. Seriously, don’t continue to Skyscraper without proper gear. I ended up post-holing to my thighs for an extra mile before deciding I should turn around. Would have been perfect with snowshoes!

Tue Aug 07 2018

what an amazing hike! so lush! waterfalls everywhere and wildflowers to brighten your experience! One of my favorites for sure. This hike is marked moderate but it's really easy except for 1 mile of climb. Also bring good shoes to deal with the awkward rocks all over the trail. Shank shoes are much better than running shoes. The 2nd devils thumb junction is unbelievably pretty. Cascading waterfalls dot the whole trail. So much water! There's a steep bit after the 1 mile easy stretch then it levels out. Nice shady trail. I switched to the other devils thumb trail (the 1st junction on the approach) on my way out and it was dry but much easier to walk since the trail was soft and dirt. Nice to walk out on this trail because the meadows are expansive and you can see for miles all around. Highly recommend and great for dogs!!

Sat Jul 07 2018

Hiked to Woodland and Skyscraper on 7-7-18. Walked through a little snow on the way to Skyscraper from Woodland. Trail to Woodland is wet in a few spots...nothing unmanageable anywhere. Some steep sections for sure but some smooth flat sections too. Fair amount of traffic. Arrived in Eldora at 7:30am....not soon enough as we had to park outside of the winter road block which added about 1 mile each way to the hike. Lakes are worth the effort. Lots of fishing going on at both lakes.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Did this hike on Saturday 6/23/18 and it was beautiful. I started on the Jasper Lake hike and hooked up with the Woodland Lake trail a little ways up where the trail forks. The trail is very steep in sections and follows a creek the whole way up. The only snow I ran into was going from Woodland Lake up to Skyscraper Reservoir and it was not too bad at all. Definitely an awesome hike and the view at the top is quite the reward for the hike.

Sat Jun 16 2018

Not a busy trail even on Saturday. Water is streaming in many parts of the trail, it's a good idea to have waterproof boots. A lot of snow is still left close to Woodland lake and Skyscraper reservoir but manageable without spikes.

Tue Jun 05 2018

Great trail. The parking fills up early. I went up yesterday and only got as far as the first Lake. There’s still a lot of snow after the junction onto the Woodland Lake Trail.

Thu May 31 2018

Hiked in August 2017. Well worth the trip!

Mon Oct 16 2017

We got to the parking area just after 8 and we were some of the first ones there somehow. It was chilly and windy. Lots of snow and ice up high but a gorgeous lake at the end. Loved how it followed a creek.

Mon Oct 09 2017

Climbed to Skyscraper on Sunday, 10/08/2017 under a clear blue sky...beautiful terrain. Moderate slope from Hessie. Snow was consistent above 10,000 feet. Adequate footwear is required this time of year. Gators and walking poles will make the trek more comfortable.

Mon Oct 02 2017

Trail was snowy but doable! We didn't have poles or gaters but they would have been helpful. Super beautiful and worth it.

Tue Aug 08 2017

This was a fantastic, scenic trail. The hike can be deceiving. For day hikers, it will be less cumbersome than backpacking. That said, if you are carrying over 40 lbs, you will feel it. There are sections that are very steep and require more breaks that normal. Then sometimes all of the sudden, there are flats that give you a nice break. The last leg from Woodland Lake to Skyscraper is a bit rough but totally worth it. The scenery on almost every leg of this hike is beautiful. Your eyes are certainly rewarded for the work you legs put in. There was no snow on the trail during our hike, only a bit of marsh about 3 miles in.

Mon Jun 26 2017

We hiked to Woodland Lake from Hessie trailhead on 6/24/17. Trail was in pretty good shape until the last 2 miles. Last 2 miles was very marshy and snowy at times, which made finding the trail difficult. Using GPS was the easiest way to stay near the trail. A good amount of snow up at the lake. Really nice hike that follows the creek. Lots of waterfalls along the way which were really flowing. The lake itself is ok; not one of my favorites but still nice. Very little traffic once you pass the Lost Lake cutoff. Our strava GPS track was 12.2 miles long and just under 2,100 vert feet and we didnt go to Skyscraper Reservoir. Took us about 6 hours exactly with maybe a half hour break at the lake

Sun Jun 11 2017

I originally planned to take this trail Sunday morning, but was told by a backpacker coming down to expect a lot of "bushwhacking, snow, and mud", so I opted for Lost Lake;)

Sun Jun 11 2017

Snow with crampons required. We decided to cross over to jasper lake trail via devils thumb instead.

Mon Sep 12 2016

Great trail. We started on a Friday, which helped a lot with the number of people. The last two miles of the trail are a bit steep, but run through some really pretty forest and past a few clearings. The lake is really clear, with quite a few trout swimming around and eating off the surface. It's a bit cold at night this late in the year, but still doable.

Sat Sep 10 2016

Great trail, some moderate steep sections, many water crossings and the lake is beautiful.