Woodland Trail to Skyscraper Reservoir

Woodland Trail to Skyscraper Reservoir is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Directions from Eldora: Travel west to the Hessie Townsite on CR #130

This was a fantastic, scenic trail. The hike can be deceiving. For day hikers, it will be less cumbersome than backpacking. That said, if you are carrying over 40 lbs, you will feel it. There are sections that are very steep and require more breaks that normal. Then sometimes all of the sudden, there are flats that give you a nice break. The last leg from Woodland Lake to Skyscraper is a bit rough but totally worth it. The scenery on almost every leg of this hike is beautiful. Your eyes are certainly rewarded for the work you legs put in. There was no snow on the trail during our hike, only a bit of marsh about 3 miles in.

We hiked to Woodland Lake from Hessie trailhead on 6/24/17. Trail was in pretty good shape until the last 2 miles. Last 2 miles was very marshy and snowy at times, which made finding the trail difficult. Using GPS was the easiest way to stay near the trail. A good amount of snow up at the lake. Really nice hike that follows the creek. Lots of waterfalls along the way which were really flowing. The lake itself is ok; not one of my favorites but still nice. Very little traffic once you pass the Lost Lake cutoff. Our strava GPS track was 12.2 miles long and just under 2,100 vert feet and we didnt go to Skyscraper Reservoir. Took us about 6 hours exactly with maybe a half hour break at the lake

I originally planned to take this trail Sunday morning, but was told by a backpacker coming down to expect a lot of "bushwhacking, snow, and mud", so I opted for Lost Lake;)

Snow with crampons required. We decided to cross over to jasper lake trail via devils thumb instead.

Great trail. We started on a Friday, which helped a lot with the number of people. The last two miles of the trail are a bit steep, but run through some really pretty forest and past a few clearings. The lake is really clear, with quite a few trout swimming around and eating off the surface. It's a bit cold at night this late in the year, but still doable.

Great trail, some moderate steep sections, many water crossings and the lake is beautiful.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Gorgeous.

Friday, October 02, 2015

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Monday, August 03, 2015

This was a great hike, I tried so hard to get there so I was in the parking lot by 630am, but was more like 730am and had to park quite a distance from the trailhead, because of this I had to add another mile to my hike. The first few miles are really pleasant and easy, however the last 2 miles become more strenuous. The wildflowers were in full force throughout the hike so the views were incredible. You hike along a creek almost the entire way, so there's always a little waterfall to admire. I wanted to make it to Kings lake, another mile past Woodland but the storms started rolling in. I recommend if you want a good workout, hopefully I can get up to Devils thumb next!

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Great hiking in the end of may 2004. Lots of water falls and mountain views.