Windy Peak via Mountain Lion Trail

Windy Peak via Mountain Lion Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very snowy for the entire hike which added to the difficulty, especially that last push to Windy Peak. Did it with hiking boots but snow shoes would have worked well. Trail was easy to follow thanks to some brave souls since the last snow, deep in spots. Views at the top were awesome as always.

Back to Windy Peak, one of our favorites close to Denver. We do Mountain Lion counterclockwise to Windy Peak from Nott Creek Trailhead and come back via Burro. That makes for a 6.7 mile hike. Going counterclockwise, Mountain Lion trails has quite a few icy patches. We had poles but did not break out the yak trax. Had the Peak all to ourselves, great spot for lunch. This one is a workout, especially that last push to the Peak.

Awesome view at peak great trail for fall hike.

Good trail with great views from Windy Peak. Don’t forget your $7 to park.
Found a perfect spot to hang the hammocks and chill.

Still one of our favorites close to Denver. We take Mountain Lion counter clockwise to Windy Peak. The creek is currently dried up but is usually flowing pretty good. Steady climb to Windy Peak with a somewhat tough half mile push to the peak. Generally pretty quiet and although this trail allows bikes, we rarely seem them on Mountain Lion stretch to the peak. Great views at the top.

We didn't have service to refer to the map, and it isn't marked well on the provided paper map. We ended up following Burro Trail the wrong way, oops. We want to go back & find the lake! Regardless, beautiful and not too crowded.

Went counter clockwise on this trail starting on the mule path through forgotten valley and then linking up with the mountain lion trail and included the offshoot to Windy peak. It was a nice slow incline at the start. After the meadow the incline increased more rapidly with short respites and wooded shade area which continued through to Windy peak. On the way down there were small rocks on the trail and the path switched back and forth. There was much less shade coverage until the last mile. Once you hit the shade there is another small incline before you hit the home stretch which was upsetting to all of us. It was a decent challenging hike with a beautiful reward at the top. My hunting dog absolutely loved this trail and we brought a lot of water for him.

Make sure you do not take a wrong turn and end up on Burro! You will be in for a hell of difference between moderate and hard.

Absolutely amazing hike! As a beginner, it was a tough one. Mostly incline which is what winded me so much. Best feeling in the world once you get to the top.

great trail. lots of zigzags . there is like a silent woods area you get to walk through with logs leading the path. the end near the peak can kinda be rough.

This trail is scenic as goes along a creek for a bit then it climbs considerably. The all trails mapping is incorrect as forgotten valley is within 2 miles. If you want a real workout continue up mountain lion trail until it meets back up with burro trail.

Went Sunday 15th of April.

Not sure why trail marked is called forgotten valley. It does through forgotten valley (Trail is called burro trail.) but take you up to windy peak.

We took this way coming down, but went to the right on the first fork, taking us up mountain lion, the trek up was beautiful and challenging, the way down (through forgotten valley) was rewarding.

I suggest taking this loop, because going up on the forgotten valley side to windy peaks gets pretty steep near the end.

Whole loop for us was 5.9 miles. Beautiful views. Ate lunch at the top of windy peak was gorgeous. Will be coming back to backpack this summer.

Forgotten Valley is actually probably only about 3.5 miles round trip. I’d rate it as moderate... plenty of uphill. Beautiful bright blue pond and old houses from the 1800s at the end of the trail. Went 4/16 and no snow. Make sure to keep track of where you turn as there are a few times the trail branches off.

As someone mentioned before me, this mapped trail leads to windy peak - which is beautiful. Moderate difficulty, good view from the top. Last about 0.7 mile had packed icy snow. Extra traction would have been helpful, especially on the way down (I ate it once). But doable just in boots. Good hike!

The title Forgotten Valley is misleading as the map shows a route to Windy Peak; Forgotten valley is just to the west of this route and sings along the way will indicate. There is a state park fee to enter this area and parking is available for about 20 vehicles near the trailhead. This route begins on the burro trail and ascends to a junction with mountain lion trail. You take mountain lion up to the north shoulder of windy peak and then it reconnects with burro. Signs lead the way to the summit which raises up to around 9,000ft. There were a few snowy patches and micro spikes would have been helpful for the last half mile. There was skipping and sliding today. Windy peak lived up to its name and provides amazing views to the west across golden gate and to the snowy high altitude peaks beyond. The whole journey took me just under 3 hours including some rest time at the top.

Great views, moderate in difficulty. We did it with layers and good boots as most snow was melted away. Beautiful cabin at the end, totally a great spot for lunch. started on Burro trail, connected to Mountain Lion to get there.

Tons of snow, but you can do this with waterproof hiking boots. Not too hard! Was a good challenge for a winter hike. Did it on a sunny day, maybe 45 degrees. Just follow the trail to windy peak. Only saw one other person on the hike.

Monday, December 18, 2017

One of my all-time favorite trails. That may be party because of all my awesome memories here but the homestead and the little pond are beyond sweet. It's got more people than it used to, which is a little sad to me but I will always love this place. In the right times of the right years, GG Park has some of the best wildflowers I've ever seen,

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Definitely one of the better hikes I’ve done since moving out here. Not the most extreme but I really enjoyed myself.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Monday, October 09, 2017

Windy Peak lived up to its name on 10/7/17. This was our second time doing Forgotten Valley. We hoped to catch the large aspen grove’s color change but were too late as most leaves had already fallen off. Still, a decent-length hike with some good ascents. The view from Windy Peak is a nice payoff.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

FYI, if you bring a vehicle and want to park at the base of the trail(s), you'll have to pay $7 for a day pass.

We arrived early and spend a few hours hiking, taking our time and going off trail here and there to enjoy the views. There was plenty of wildlife and few people on the trail before 10am. The "lake" is more of a large pond with fish and seaweed, but is still serene if you're there alone.

The weather changes on a dime the higher you go, so bring layers and something to put them in because you'll be hot and cold!

Pictures are misleading, but it was a decent hike.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Have to go through Burro trail. I was hoping to have river creek through out the trail or at least in spots but after first .5 miles of trail it's all pretty dry trail. I think it should be rated moderate instead of easy. I returned from half way was hot and had two huskies .... I would go back without my dogs someday.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Absolutely gorgeous hike but it is not Easy as this app states. It is almost all uphill and the map lists it as hard. I had to take many stops and was a little beyond my level of experience. That being said it was so beautiful it was worth the effort.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Nice hike during nice weather. Hike to the pond/lake and back for a short one or continue on for the full hike. Great for the puppy too

Monday, July 31, 2017

One of our favorite regular trails to run.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

We loved this hike. Very lightly trafficked, does get busy around noontime though. Peaceful, beautiful views, and a cool historic house (with swings on the porch). Well marked, love that as your going along the trail it tells you where you are on the trail and has arrows to guide you. Perfect for dogs. Highly recommend.

Monday, June 26, 2017

A beautiful and easy hike with amazing views and peaceful energy❤️

Thursday, June 22, 2017

If the elevation gain wasn't so extreme it would be incredible. We got on the wrong trail at some point but the trail is gorgeous and well worth it.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Good trail.. just don't get lost!